Forums > Wing Foiling General

Axis png 850

Created by saltwaterwine > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2022
saltwaterwine
NSW, 66 posts
21 Nov 2022 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Im looking for a new small wave to head high prone foil. This 850 has a low volume per area so perhaps its fast and has low stall speed. Maybe someone has ridden this foil and can compare with 880 890.
My wt 73kg. local beach box head nsw.

saltwaterwine
NSW, 66 posts
22 Nov 2022 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
saltwaterwine said..
Im looking for a new small wave to head high prone foil. This 850 has a low volume per area so perhaps its fast and has low stall speed. Maybe someone has ridden this foil and can compare with 880 890.

Has anyone ridden an 850?

J Foz
WA, 101 posts
24 Nov 2022 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
saltwaterwine said..

saltwaterwine said..

Has anyone ridden an 850?

Icebergmansion
WA, 69 posts
26 Nov 2022 3:00AM
Thumbs Up

I've had lots of sessions both prone and wing on PNG850:
-Low end is fantastic, if there is whitewater I can get up and foil. Turning/roll is awesome and so is the yaw, you can really carve this wing and bang big roundhouses especially since it's so slow compared to the HA wings, you get to play in the pocket and it's the most like short-boarding I've found.
-The negative (huge for many) is that it's slower and basically has bad glide. Once you stop pumping you are coming down soon because you are not going fast. Breeching is great and the range is awesome, just be ready to stay high and pump between waves. I am a pretty good pumper and easily connect 3+ waves before I start to wear out.

Awesome for winging with lots of stability, low-end, and fun on waves. My favorite form of winging is catching waves and shredding in the pocket then hopping off with a tack and heading back out for the next wave, this wing is awesome for this and the overall range is so good that you can go entire sessions without falling if you want.

Compared to HPS wings: PNG is slower, better low end, similar turning, slightly better pump.
Compared to BSC: PNG is faster, similar low end, similar turning, better pump.

It's a toss up between this wing and the HPS880.

As an aside I have found that foiling in chest high waves you really can get moving insanely fast on a hydrofoil which can lead to brutal wipeouts with near concussion level smackdowns. Being slower the PNG850 actually prevents severe wipeouts to an extent which I have been valuing more and more since I foil so frequently.

saltwaterwine
NSW, 66 posts
26 Nov 2022 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Icebergmansion thanks for responding.
High speed crashes really jar my neck so lower speed winging in waves appeals to me too.
Which fuse and stab are you using to get good carving?

Icebergmansion
WA, 69 posts
28 Nov 2022 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

PNG850, ultrashort fuse and 13'' KDmaui tail. I just borrowed a short fuse and I'm going to wing that today to see what it's like.

If you want to limit repetitive c-spine microtrauma this wing will really help!

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Axis png 850" started by saltwaterwine