Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Starboard 2023

Created by Dishpet > 9 months ago, 10 Jan 2023
Dishpet
94 posts
10 Jan 2023 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

The 2023 site is up: starboardfoils.com/pages/2023-wind-foils
Gone are the old front wings from 2019-2022.
Feels like SB is finally catching up.

WillyWind
470 posts
10 Jan 2023 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the link. I wonder why there is no 1000 wing for course racing or for people like me who uses it all the time for very light wind.

aeroegnr
1478 posts
10 Jan 2023 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WillyWind said..
Thanks for the link. I wonder why there is no 1000 wing for course racing or for people like me who uses it all the time for very light wind.

That's a good question. I wonder if their intent was to replace that with the 880slr with the longer 120 fuse (equivalent to the 115 doubleplus). Would be good to know the performance difference between that setup vs. the 1000 and 115+.

Paducah
2451 posts
10 Jan 2023 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

My portfolio of Starboard wings just fell by 30% I knew the day was coming but still.

Select to expand quote
WillyWind said..

Yes, that alone may mean I keep the 115+ and millennium for those not infrequent days if I do an upgrade. It'll be interesting to see pricing. At my speeds, not sure if it's worth buying the new kit or keep dragging the stuff I have through the water. I'm wondering if the new and improved Freeride will suffice for many on the low end?

Great to see 1500cm options for the Superflyer/Freeride range.s Now, big guys can learn on easier to ride wings that don't have to be shipped to Canada for their seasonal job of shoveling snow.

WillyWind
470 posts
11 Jan 2023 2:44AM
Thumbs Up

I don't think one can get away with a 880 wing if you need max lift for max VMG when using a huge sail and 1m wide board. I noticed they don't have a course racing foil. Maybe they launch it at a later time? BTW, I am not changing my older set up. Although the 0.032% speed increase for the new stuff is tempting :). Since they are still supporting the iQFoil, they will still produce the older 900 wing, stabs, and older 115plus fuselage so I am all set for a while.

aeroegnr
1478 posts
11 Jan 2023 3:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WillyWind said..
I don't think one can get away with a 880 wing if you need max lift for max VMG when using a huge sail and 1m wide board. I noticed they don't have a course racing foil. Maybe they launch it at a later time? BTW, I am not changing my older set up. Although the 0.032% speed increase for the new stuff is tempting :). Since they are still supporting the iQFoil, they will still produce the older 900 wing, stabs, and older 115plus fuselage so I am all set for a while.

Hmm. I really don't know. I was curious, and they say: "*With the Original and Plus generations, the fuselage extended beyond the front wing and behind the tail wing. With the Evolution MkII generation, the fuselage starts behind the front wing leading edge and ends before the tail wing trailing edge. The Evo MkII 109 therefore sounds like it's shorter than the 115 Plus fuselage, for example, but the wing positions are actually equivalent.**The exception is with the Evolution MkII 120 fuselage: this fuselage aims to maximise the Formula Foil 120cm limit so the wings are further apart on the Evo MkII 120 compared to the Plus 120. "

Hmm.

This led me to check out the formula foil rules. Looks like they are limited to 1000mm wingspan, they don't limit by area: d7qh6ksdplczd.cloudfront.net/sailing/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/04092237/IFWS_CRC_20220201.pdf
Men's max sail size dropping from 12.5 to 11.0 as well, mast max length at 113cm.

Is the 880cm2 wing at the 1m span limit?

Phantom's largest VMG front is 930cm2, so in the ballpark, they claim 6kt as lower bound which seems about right too, but likely going to be a slalom race at that wind...

Looks like F4 still makes a 1000cm2.

I just have more questions now.

jusavina
QLD, 1438 posts
11 Jan 2023 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, the 880 cm2 has a span of 1 meter. High aspect ratio.

aeroegnr
1478 posts
11 Jan 2023 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jusavina said..

Thank you, so they may have kept the feel/design the same and put as big as an area they could within that 1m limit

I also noticed this, not having noticed it before. Phantom has a 1000cm2 (pink) freeride wing but it's lower aspect than their 930cm2 race wing (dark blue). The SB may be slightly more high aspect.

RuddeBos
136 posts
12 Jan 2023 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WillyWind said..

I'm still using the black 115 fuselage the plus fuselages v1, and now the slightly different iqfoil fuselages, and cant see why I would convert to the evolution series.

( off at a tangent) btw, the original black series fuselages anodising is so much superior to the gold plus fuselages- which just seem to rot.

So to move I'd have to change 5 front wings and potentially the rear wings, as well as getting the new fuselages. it just makes it totally non justifiable to throw out all that gear for a potential speed gain.

I'm also really surprised there is not a medium aspect , high wind, front wing to use with compact windfoil boards and sub 4m sails.
There's the original Freeride 1100 but nothing smaller.
I would have liked a 800/900 MA for the higher wind days and a bit of swell

Grantmac
1953 posts
12 Jan 2023 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

The original 800 is fairly mid aspect these days

aeroegnr
1478 posts
12 Jan 2023 3:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Grantmac said..
The original 800 is fairly mid aspect these days

Yeah the wings do look quite different. 800 vs. the new 880 or 750 does look lower aspect with more downturned tips vs a smoother change on the SLR. Too bad they don't have a chart like Phantom (they really should do that...been wanting that for a while)

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
12 Jan 2023 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

The new SB tail wing mounting design looks like a copy of F4!

WillyWind
470 posts
13 Jan 2023 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jusavina said..

You are right, I didn't noticed that. Not only high aspect ratio but the foil is thinning throughout the whole span instead of an "abrupt" end unlike the original 1000 (not sure if am am being clear with my explanation here).

XavierFerrer
61 posts
17 Jan 2023 5:03AM
Thumbs Up

I have spoken with a professional of windsurfing(Ramon Pastor), and he test the new MK2 mast c800(the same profile of C600 and c400 mast), and the new profile is thinner and more stiff than the older IQ mast. In Tarifa(Spain), in open sea (not offshore wind) he make a very good speed!

XavierFerrer
61 posts
24 Jan 2023 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

A few pictures of the new material

aeroegnr
1478 posts
24 Jan 2023 2:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
XavierFerrer said..
A few pictures of the new material

Thank you, looks like there are some pretty big differences in the wings.

Windy66
13 posts
24 Jan 2023 5:48AM
Thumbs Up

Is the new tail wing shipping with a cover now? Cheers for sharing the photos.

Maddlad
WA, 828 posts
24 Jan 2023 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Id love the new gear but im not sure spending $4000 + will make me go better enough to justify it :P

XavierFerrer
61 posts
25 Jan 2023 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windy66 said..
Is the new tail wing shipping with a cover now? Cheers for sharing the photos.

The photos are not mine, I found it in internet. I just order my new mast c600 MKII( It will arrive on May!!). I can't understand why the new masts are too much expensive (500? more than a Phantom), when the bests foils in terms of speed are Phantom and Zfoils in this moment, and both foils are cheaper. I hope the new mast will be more stiff than the others. I order with the idea to adapt to my local conditions with choppy looking for the best performance.

Paducah
2451 posts
25 Jan 2023 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Maddlad said..
Id love the new gear but im not sure spending $4000 + will make me go better enough to justify it :P

I think spending $4k at the buffet table would be a more effective solution to go faster for a lot of us...

My cardiologist would tell me just to buy the new fuzes and wings, though.

aeroegnr
1478 posts
25 Jan 2023 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paducah said..

Maddlad said..

I think spending $4k at the buffet table would be a more effective solution to go faster for a lot of us...

My cardiologist would tell me just to buy the new fuzes and wings, though.

I'd consider a lower set and use the IQ mast if I was convinced the new wings helped lightwind performance.

Too slow now though to bother much with the smaller stuff as I already have the 650 and 725 and I'm probably reaching less than 2/3s of their potential

aeroegnr
1478 posts
25 Mar 2023 6:48AM
Thumbs Up

One of my friends just got a 560slr. Checked it out on the beach and compared it to my 725. It is just a little longer wingspan than the 725, looked pretty cool. He hasn't ridden it yet but he normally rides a 725 as he's a lightweight

Unfortunately it was a total skunk and the wind dropped to 3kts as soon as I was out. Was hoping to see him ride it.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Starboard 2023" started by Dishpet