Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

Looking to buy my first setup - is a 2012 Kite too old?

Created by kieranunited90 > 9 months ago, 23 Nov 2020
kieranunited90
2 posts
23 Nov 2020 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Folks,

I'm pushing on with my lessons and the moment and getting to a stage where my instructor reckons I should buy my own gear. I don't want to buy new gear yet as I might be emigrating next year and wouldn't be able to take the gear with me.

I found a good deal on an Ozone catalyst that is the size I'm looking for (10m) and has never been used and comes with the bar, harness etc which have also not been used. The kite was purchased in 2012 and I'm wondering if this is too old - seems like the technology has evolved a lot over the years but don't know enough about it to understand how it would effect me in reality.

Any advice appreciated! Cheers!

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
23 Nov 2020 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Your intuition is pretty right. 2012 is coming up for 9 years old and it was likely made in 2011 making it 10 years old. Besides the possibility of problems like dried cracked and leaking valves and general air pressure loss issues the kite and bar design and technology has developed a lot in that period. Bars are mostly much safer and better designed currently. Kites are mostly easier to fly. Even if it was only $200 I would probably pass on it. Unless you could get a very experienced kiter such as your instructor to pump it up, inspect it, fly it, and demo it for a couple of hours it would be risky. New gear is always best and if you look in the right places new gear that is 2 or 3 seasons old can be found for as good as half price. Other than that second hand kites 2 or 3 years old will usually sell at well below new price and good one with little use can often be found. Your instructor or a friend with experience would be well placed to assist in guidance.

Mrknownothing
QLD, 147 posts
23 Nov 2020 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't mind the 2012 Catalyst. If it's the original ozone bar it will be single line safety, which is what most normal brands are using today. Only issue will be the release mechanism is back to front. So you will have to pull towards you instead of push away.

Also I have vaguely remember there being troubles with the inflate valve on the 2012 kites. Bladders were replaced on warranty. Steve/midgetozoneman might be able to confirm this?

All in all it will be a good cheap/reliable/safe kite to learn on. If it's genuinely never been used all you'll have to worry about are the valves. So just pump it up and let it sit. Give the valves a wiggle etc.

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
23 Nov 2020 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snalberski said..
Your intuition is pretty right. 2012 is coming up for 9 years old and it was likely made in 2011 making it 10 years old. Besides the possibility of problems like dried cracked and leaking valves and general air pressure loss issues the kite and bar design and technology has developed a lot in that period. Bars are mostly much safer and better designed currently. Kites are mostly easier to fly. Even if it was only $200 I would probably pass on it. Unless you could get a very experienced kiter such as your instructor to pump it up, inspect it, fly it, and demo it for a couple of hours it would be risky. New gear is always best and if you look in the right places new gear that is 2 or 3 seasons old can be found for as good as half price. Other than that second hand kites 2 or 3 years old will usually sell at well below new price and good one with little use can often be found. Your instructor or a friend with experience would be well placed to assist in guidance.

This is excellent advice. I would add that new gear is also stronger and much more durable / resistant to crashes. Used gear can break easily, I made that mistake with my first 3 used kites when I was learning, they all needed repairs and were not worth spending money on.

Only buy used gear with an expert kiter inspecting it for you.

Christian

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
23 Nov 2020 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kieranunited90 said
Any advice appreciated! Cheers!

Kieran.. I have 8m 2010 catalyst.. Design wise.. In your situation.. The refinements to get to 2020 are modest.. Possibly make 5% change so not noticeable. The quick release was changed n so when u want to open 1 handed there is always resistance = push away from body.. Pull towards most times but not all times there is tension.. It becomes a two handed action to release. So nnot best practise.
I have repaired mine a fair bit but still flew fine last time i used it.. Pumped and stayed solid overnight about 3 weeks back. Lending to mate who is learning... U can still get bladders made..
Try take an experience d kiter with you..
f it is an option get kite pumped.
Try to look frm shade to sunlight through the sail should be no pin prick holes.
If u can find space and the bar & lines look worn un wind then run through finger and thumb.. Any change in feel. Check it out..
A giveaway area of wear on older kites are the pig tails where lines are attached to kite..
If it is close 2 new..it will be more about trusting the seller... I would seriously consider.. But likely be $150-180.. Regardless.. A shop will charge a bit more but also stand by the product for repair..
Cheers
AP

NorthernKitesAUS
QLD, 1061 posts
26 Nov 2020 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..

snalberski said..
blah

This is excellent advice.

Hmmm nah... excellent advice for those with deep pockets. For most young'uns especially a beginner, it's bad advice - financially.

Safety systems are now pretty much the norm since 8 years ago. I think any kite older than 10 years yeah sure - forget it, but if it's a few seasons old, it's not dangerous or bad.

Lessons first and foremost with anything to do with wind sports. But when it comes to gear - 2nd hand is better, and later buy new gear when you're comfortable and knowing you want to continue with it. Plenty of kiters got into it, tried a few lessons and spent like $4000 on gear only to sell it later for less than half. Not worth it IMO.

Plenty - plenty of good 2nd hand kite gear here on the BUY & SELL, and in the general market place. BUT you need to do your homework, know what brand and style of kiting you're after and why.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

"Looking to buy my first setup - is a 2012 Kite too old?" started by kieranunited90