Forums > Kitesurfing General

weights for kite

Created by titans > 9 months ago, 29 Oct 2012
titans
1 posts
29 Oct 2012 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

my son is 11yrs old and wants to kite his weight is 40kg can someone help me with the size of kite he should be learning on please

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
29 Oct 2012 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

the instructor at your local kite school is the one to ask this question

29 Oct 2012 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

titans said...

my son is 11yrs old and wants to kite his weight is 40kg can someone help me with the size of kite he should be learning on please

Where do you live?
A 6M kite would be ideal, most likely. You want something with high depower when the bar is released, and easy relaunch. Two models/brands that are easily obtained are the Ozone Catalyst 6M and the Cabrinha Switchblade 6M, but many 5M kites would also work, as would 7's if you live in a lighter wind area?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
29 Oct 2012 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

titans said...

Cmon dad you just want a highwind kite, catalyst or reo insane depower, plenty of schools teach on the catalyst, no better advertisement imo, would wind to weight ratio work , I'm 85kgs and can fly the cat 8 in 40plus,so at 40kg, you'd think he'd b good at 18knts

Kitersmini
WA, 19 posts
29 Oct 2012 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

hi im 10 and around 40 kg and i use a 5m Airush flow and a 7m Naish Park my favourite kite is my park because it is easy to depower with my short arms lol
another reason i like the park is because its quick on turns and water re-launches
easy.

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
29 Oct 2012 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^
Im their dad.
Titan be careful with your choice of kite, most small kites are designed to fly in strong winds. What you need for your son is a kite that flies well in light winds. Get one that is light, does not luff easy and will sit still and turn well in light winds. I got the park because it has only 3 battens and this keeps it light. As kitersmini says you will also need a kite where the depower is all in the first few inches of bar movement because 10 year olds cant push the bar out very far.
Hope this helps

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"weights for kite" started by titans