Forums > Kitesurfing General

trying to get back to kiting after leg amputation

Created by skyhil33 > 9 months ago, 5 Oct 2015
skyhil33
4 posts
5 Oct 2015 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

Hey all. My names lee Ive been a kitesurfer and landboarder for nearly 10 years but after a bad accident last year in which I got caught in a gust of wind which took me nearly 30 meters into the air and then the kite lost power and smashed me and itself back to the ground. I had my leg so badly broken it was finally amputated in June. I now wish to try and get back my life if possible and wondered if anybody in the community would help? I posted something like this on another kite forum and all i got was some abuse about the forum not being a charity. All im trying to do is get into buggying so i can get out of a wheelchair that i need most times to go out because i haven't fully learnt the use of the leg ive been given, and to also use the kitebuggy to do small sponsored events for two local charities the R.N.L.I and air ambulance service. There is a link to fundraise page for the buggy. i do want to get back to the water eventually but need to plan a little more and find a way to get onto a seated kitesurf board.

www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-getting-back-to-an-active-life#/

Please take time to check out the link if possible. Thanks

dafish
NSW, 1630 posts
5 Oct 2015 4:56AM
Thumbs Up

Wow, sorry to hear that people can be so heartless. That kind of accident is a horrible thing and I can't even imagine how hard this must have been and continues to be for you. My advice would be to go to Kiteforum.com and look up a dude named Billie. He is a double amputee and kites with two prosthesis legs. Still hang glides too I believe. I am sure he can be a wealth of knowledge and also help you make the recovery you seek.
Hope this is in some way a little helpful.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
5 Oct 2015 3:11AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear brother. When I had two injured knees at one point I used to sit on a little surf-club paddle board and do downwinders, it was still a lot of fun. I'm sure you will get back out there again!

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
5 Oct 2015 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

I can also put you in contact with a mate of mine. Search Mark mono Stewart. He doesn't kite, but he just won a world disabled surf event. He has been competing against able bodied surfers since he was young. Depending on where your amputation is, may dictate what form of board you need.
His kneeboards have a deck channel his stump sits in, shaped by Dave Parkes in Byron Bay. Cheers

skyhil33
4 posts
5 Oct 2015 5:58AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys. Im an above knee amputee and want to try a seated kiteboard when i can raise enough funds for a board but thats all after i get back to kiting. Ive been out for well over a year now so want to go back to a buggy for now and do some charity work

Gilly3
QLD, 793 posts
5 Oct 2015 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Lee, sorry to hear of ur loss, hope u get back out there soon...

Thought I would post up a link for some inspiration

www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Kitesurfing/Amanda-Boxtel-learns-to-kiteboard-but-theres-a-catch_7797709.aspx

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
5 Oct 2015 6:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
skyhil33 said...
Thanks guys. Im an above knee amputee and want to try a seated kiteboard when i can raise enough funds for a board but thats all after i get back to kiting. Ive been out for well over a year now so want to go back to a buggy for now and do some charity work

Sounds like a challenge has been given to you
Drop the bksa( now british kitesports) a line also ex servicemen sporting groups, mark shinn from shinn kiteboards, I made contact with him to see if he could help out an Irish girl a few years back, she lost the use of both legs, and seated was her only option, you will be able to get back on a conventional board in time , there's double amputees ripping it up, great to see you've not lost the drive, keep us posted

antlanglands
WA, 67 posts
5 Oct 2015 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

www.kiteright.org/

skyhil33
4 posts
5 Oct 2015 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

some great advice guys. I've looked up Billie and Mark and im hoping they get back in touch. i just now would love to get back to the kites ive had a go just letting my kite lift and pull me around a little. it felt so awesome just feeling that pull of the kite again. the leg ive got isn't suitable for sports as i got told off so much for even trying this

KiteBud
WA, 1514 posts
5 Oct 2015 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hi skyhil33

sorry to hear about your accident. Great to see you're trying to get back to it.

Here is a video of a friend of mine that might inspire and motivate you. I think buggy kiting is a great idea, but be careful as people do get injured doing buggy as well.

skyhil33
4 posts
5 Oct 2015 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Wow... What an inspiritational guy.
i just need to sort out the buggy. its one reason i asked the kite comunity for help and was told to try set up a funding page. the accident wiped me out completley from wanting to live life in the beggining and work.

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
6 Oct 2015 1:36AM
Thumbs Up

I read this like you were making up **** at least your not alone just another kite mere story fk heavy I guess its just a matter of time you can only hope its not as serious but at least your still alive unlike many others

jeroen
QLD, 38 posts
7 Oct 2015 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Stay positive bro. Work hard and make your body strong. I am sure you will be on the water again! Take it day by day. In a few years you will look back and tell yourself that you grew stronger out of it. Keep sending us pictures of your progress. Also check www.ossur.com for prosthetic solutions. Perhaps your health care can help you out. Keep believing and dream big. Visualise yourself to be back on the water again. Not just on a buggy on the beach! I am sure you will make it!

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
11 Oct 2015 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Cbulota for sharing that video.

Inspirational to reflect on how much determination the bloke has to live life despite his physical limitations.

This is a video share with my kids... We all forget how lucky we are.

good summer winds all and happy post work daylight-saving-enhanced session for those in the southern states!

yeeew!!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"trying to get back to kiting after leg amputation" started by skyhil33