Forums > Kitesurfing General

looking for some advice waterproofing wooden board

Created by airjunkie > 9 months ago, 30 Nov 2013
airjunkie
WA, 142 posts
30 Nov 2013 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

there is quite a few people that have made their own wooden boards wondering what the best way of effective waterproofing is ?

. . . . . hoping that someone from the seabreeze brain trust can point me in the right direction of something tried and tested

i. . . . .'m guessing some sort of enamel varnish or fiberglass resin ?

Its for a project i am making for just mucking about some sand board/s trying to make one that suits having a play on the dunes and then straight into the water . . .

I know it'll be a pig in the water if i can get a decent edge at all but like i said it's just for fun

wombles
QLD, 42 posts
1 Dec 2013 2:24AM
Thumbs Up

You can use Bote Cote Epoxy resin with non yellowing hardener. Add a small amount of acetone to the mix. One thin coat per side and then a light sand once dry. You can then just use a marine varnish, 4 to 5 coats. Hope that info is helpful.

Plummet
4862 posts
1 Dec 2013 2:51AM
Thumbs Up

Ask your question here.

www.boardbuilders.co/p/forum.html

To seal a wooden board I use epoxy resin. But blasting on the dunes and into the water is going to grind that resin coat off very fast. Yourl need to laminate and hard plastic layer to the bottom of the board. Or screw some stainless sheet metal to the bottom.

seafever17
WA, 360 posts
1 Dec 2013 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Seal it in epoxy resin. Epoxy resin has no UV protection ( that's why surfboards go yellow over time)
Varnish has UV proofing added to it. Although it's probably not needed on a timber board as the yellowing would be very hard to see plus it would take years to develop.

Oh yeah..sandboard.....dont bother with varnish...its not hard enough to withstand the abrasion and will wear off too quick.

fjordfiend
WA, 93 posts
2 Dec 2013 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

What type of timber do you plan to use?
If you are using plywood you need to ensure its is either marine grade or good external plywood with water prrof glue. No matter what type of coating you apply if the ply wood has the wrong glue it will delaminate.
Ive made a couple of Alaia style boards out of Solid Paulownia and only gave them a coat of linseed oil, they have been used a lot and are no worse for it.
Advantage of an oil finsih is that it is easy to apply and maintain.
To get a good finish with epoxy or varnish you either need to apply it in sugical conditions or be prepared to do a lot of sanding and polishing
Epoxy and varnish can delaminate , chip and wear off in which case you will need to re sand and reapply.
Epoxy is convenient if you already plan to laminate multiple layers of wood together to create some rocker in your board however you must be aware that not all epoxy has UV filters in it and will degrade quickly with exposure to the sun unless protected with varnish or paint.

airjunkie
WA, 142 posts
2 Dec 2013 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

cheers guys thanks for the info ill seal it with resin

i already have some laminex for the bottom surface

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"looking for some advice waterproofing wooden board" started by airjunkie