Forums > Kitesurfing General

heel spur

Created by bargearse > 9 months ago, 16 Sep 2012
bargearse
QLD, 148 posts
16 Sep 2012 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

I've developed a heel spur and also a haemotoma that is seriously affecting my enjoyment of kiting. When it's bad it feels like Im walking around on the bone.
Any medicos out there got any suggestions?

I have stopped kiting and it's not so bad at the moment. I dont really want to have surgery. I had the fluid drained but it just comes back. Doctors solution was to refer me to an orth surgeon. sounds a bit drastic and irrevercible.

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
16 Sep 2012 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

I had a few heavy landings about a year and a half ago trying kiteloops. Besides a bruised heel i had issues after with a spur on my heel (diagnosed previously when I broke my foot). I found massaging the area helped a lot, not a good idea though if it's inflamed.

I'd give Accupuncture a go, I've had a lot of success with other issues and swear by it. Also I ride boots now which have a lot more cushioning in them, although I hadn't had any issues previously for a long time.

gezza1
WA, 64 posts
17 Sep 2012 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hey, Im actually a Podiatrist...Firstly, is it defo a heel spur?? its quite often a soft tissue disorder called plantar fasciitus thats mis-diagnosed as a heel spur. -Xray is the only way to diagnose a spur, and even then it is still often the plantar fascia that causing the problems.

You have lots of options before you seek surgery. Podiatry or physio can address the soft tissue problems , massage/acupuncture and sports taping the foot all work well.
Orthotics either to reduce the strain to the plantar fascia or off load the heel spur can be very successful.
Cortisone injection's are also very successful but can be a bit painful at the time.

Personally I'm not a fan of surgery for resolving either heel spurs or plantar fasciitis, but it does have its place if things get really bad.
PM me if you have any more questions.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"heel spur" started by bargearse