Forums > Kitesurfing General

carnage

Created by dafish > 9 months ago, 19 Jun 2013
dafish
NSW, 1630 posts
19 Jun 2013 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

We have been enjoying some killer sw winds for the last 5 days, Saturday was an awesome day. Double O sets and loads of waves with only our hardcore small crew. Unfortunately one of our cast members, a young girl who absolutely charges, got trashed. I had just come in and looked back to see her dropping into a wave with the kite fairly high over her head. The tide was going out and causing some of the middle waves to double up. She made the drop only to drop halfway into another, to which she made as well, but her speed really increase. As this happened she sent her kite to far forward and had it rip her off her surfboard. She wiped out. I didn't think too much of it as she can handle her own. I turned away for a few seconds trying to secure my kite. When I looked up I saw her brother running toward her as she was trying to drag herself out of the water. I ran back as well and started waving to her uncle who was out charging the sets. He saw something was wrong and we all sort of converged on her at the same time. She was clearly in loads of pain. Looked like she tore something in her ankle.
Our spot is a long drive and a half k walk to get to, but worth it. However, we had to carry her all the way back to the car. We tried to keep her smiling and laughing in between the tears. She is pretty tough I must say.
My friend and myself along with another kiter who was there to snap a few photos went back and packed up all the kites and cleaned up the area. Pretty stoked for the session, it was epic, but also concerned for our friend.
Got the message yesterday that she ended up breaking her fibula and needed 4 plates and synthetic carbon ligaments to repair the damage. She will be out until at least September.
If she ever reads this, I just want to say, "Hang in there Charger! There will be more waves for you when you get back!"
Here is a shot from the day on the mid inside section....cracker of a day!

Plummet
4862 posts
19 Jun 2013 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

arrrrr! ouch.

ps nice wave pic. thats a crazy kite position. is it direct offshore?

dafish
NSW, 1630 posts
19 Jun 2013 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Direction is cross, cross off a bit in sections. Where I have the kite now is where I hit the downloop button. Kite screams back across low as I draw out another bottom turn. It is so much fun as it stops the lift off the board as it comes around. This kite loops so easy, one hand no probs. Waves were really fast, not able to park the kite much, constant moving across the window. Have had no one to kite with all week and this place it too isolated to go it alone, especially after what just happened.

Plummet
4862 posts
19 Jun 2013 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

yeah I have a location like that. usually cross of and nuking wind boulders cliffs and no room for error. pretty dangerous solo. Some times i hit it solo other times its too risky.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"carnage" started by dafish