Forums > Kitesurfing General

best exercise for boosting

Created by suface2air > 9 months ago, 19 Jul 2012
suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
19 Jul 2012 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

What is the best exercise for boosting . Last year my hole chest frame exspecially in the middel top area hurt so much only after doing a couple that i found i couldnt do them for a week or so and if the wind gods play this year i want to give it heeps. Trying to prep for it .
Yer yer i now have to dring the old concret not sure if it is me trying to hard or it is my technic . thanks in avance

Rob S
VIC, 391 posts
19 Jul 2012 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Be uncool. Seat harness

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
19 Jul 2012 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

"BOOSTING" of course

eppo
WA, 9366 posts
19 Jul 2012 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

What he said^

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
19 Jul 2012 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Are your a larger frame? possible cause for pain. just a thought!

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
19 Jul 2012 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ nope iam a small frame scrawney little weed of a man (A man in a boy suit )
i like some of the advise but no real wind to do so .

richswing
WA, 724 posts
19 Jul 2012 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Pull ups with leg raises, I would think or something similar to how you would do it when you boost.

Do pullups unitl you are fatigued, then hang there and raise your legs as close to your chest as posssible and then release slowly to the start position.

I reckon pullups is one of the best all round excersise for kiting, not that I can do them like I use to do.

Rich

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
19 Jul 2012 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

To best prepare for boosting season I like to strengthen my abs.

Your best bet is to invite some seriously piss funny blokes around and laugh yourself stupid for a few weekends before the season starts, this will strengthen your abs significantly.

The other advice I have is that the lighter you are, the higher you go. Starting in August I only eat one meal a day in order to maximize my kite's ability to catapult me into orbit.

One more thing is to get your back leg CRUNK STRONG. I would recommend either cycling to work using only one leg, or injecting that leg with horse/bear hormones.

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
19 Jul 2012 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Wishy, I thought you were drinking beer to work on your ABS!

ryebloke
VIC, 54 posts
19 Jul 2012 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

If you keep having pain in the future, why not mention it to a GP.
A bloke at work had a 1 kilo benign cyst removed from his chest area 2 weeks ago, he may have been born with it, and may have grown over the years.

He said it only knew he had it when it burst, and felt it only during stretching exercises over the past years, but never gave it a 2nd thought.

Something to keep in mind

bumstein
WA, 108 posts
19 Jul 2012 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Have a think about Martial Arts.. Great core and muscular strength workout, good for Flexability (if you work at it) and doesn't hurt the mind either

I tend to find that although new physical stressors still cane, I adapt to them alot easier..

Plummet
4862 posts
19 Jul 2012 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

theres possibly 4 things going on here.

1) you need to to strengthen those piss week muscles with more kiting.
kite untill you bleed. then kite some more. PS bleading doesn't count unless the blood hits your foot.

2) your riding too overpowered and getting the rib squeaze going on. ride a size down and your chest squease will reduce heaps. Yes you can still boost when not overpowered.

3) maybe your harness is too big or doesn't fit right. Try some otehr harnesses.

4) lastly if all the above fails then get a seat harness. A seat harness will stop any rib squease immediately. but yourl still need to get a set of kiters abs growing.

ps one last bit of advice. it could also be that your flying the kite constantly too high. get that kite LOW between big boosts. thats will suck the harness back down to a non rib crushing height.

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
19 Jul 2012 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

tighten your harness around your waist not your chest.
and if you want to go really big, go out overpowered but only if you know what your doing and can hold a strong edge

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
19 Jul 2012 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

www.kiteboardingexercises.com awsome dedicated kiting fitness exercise website, rehab exercises, etc etc well worth a look ,core muscle strength is the most important muscle group to strengthen, a sup is a good aid to core muscle strength and cheaper than gym membership,

Greenfinger
WA, 239 posts
19 Jul 2012 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

SIT UPS.

eppo
WA, 9366 posts
19 Jul 2012 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Greenfinger said...

SIT UPS.

Better still do the plank, better for all round core strength someone told me