Forums > Kitesurfing General

Winter Kiting spots in Pacific?

Created by stillkiting > 9 months ago, 5 Feb 2016
stillkiting
QLD, 21 posts
5 Feb 2016 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I live on the Sunshine Coast Qld and want to head os for some winter wind. Any recommendations from people who have been there, done it? Have been to Mauritius (great), but lengthy expensive flights and the need to stopover in Perth detracts from Indian Ocean destinations if you come from Brisbane. Any brilliant places in the Pacific you can recommend? I'm not into waves and reefs but happy with strong winds. I want somewhere where I can really progress. Don't need to cram it into a short holiday if it's not an expensive destination as I'm retired. Would appreciate heads up on various destinations such as Cook Islands, Indonesia, Boracay etc? Advice on accommodation, proximity to kiting beach, conditions, wind reliability and strength, food, cost of local coaching if applicable, recommended tours etc. Thanks.

Phoney
NSW, 583 posts
5 Feb 2016 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Have you looked at Lord Howe Island?

From what I've heard Fiji & Cook islands can be very hit and miss. I know people that have gone to both for 10 days and kited on one day. But then others have gone for the same duration and kited almost every day.

stillkiting
QLD, 21 posts
5 Feb 2016 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks! Have you been to Lord Howe? Is its wind more reliable?

Sandfoot
VIC, 566 posts
6 Feb 2016 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

www.kitesurftonga.com/

I've not been but looks sweet as.

Sandfoot
VIC, 566 posts
6 Feb 2016 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

www.moontours.com.au/

Mr Moon has some tours too.

Cygnify
QLD, 117 posts
7 Feb 2016 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Sandfoot said...

www.moontours.com.au/

Has anyone done the PNG tour? Do you have to rig up on the boat?

Phoney
NSW, 583 posts
7 Feb 2016 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scaredykite said...
Thanks! Have you been to Lord Howe? Is its wind more reliable?

Many years ago before I was a kiter, and around October from memory. It was windy then on each afternoon on the sea side. The lagoon side was sheltered.

Have a search through the forum, theres others who go in winter and rave about it. I think baggage allowance on the plane can be a bit of an issue

Id love to go back.

kaz6
11 posts
7 Feb 2016 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hey There, we are located in Tonga in the Ha'apai island group. A small remote island with some awesome kitesurfing! Check us out www.kitesurftonga.com

pinky16
QLD, 16 posts
7 Feb 2016 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Check out Australian kite surfari far noth qld

JayP
QLD, 249 posts
7 Feb 2016 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Cygnify said..

Sandfoot said...

www.moontours.com.au/

Has anyone done the PNG tour? Do you have to rig up on the boat?

its all beach launches on this tour. nice thing is you kite a different island every day.

howe
QLD, 33 posts
7 Feb 2016 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Well our winters give us the southerly winds so you must live a long way from Caloundra to enjoy.

UnderMyUmbrella
QLD, 51 posts
9 Feb 2016 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Are you open to staying in Australia? Can always drive / fly 2000km north and go to Cairns, Port Douglas and / or Cooktown (and further north - Kite Surfari).

savagebee
NSW, 35 posts
10 Feb 2016 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

I recommend New Caledonia. I just got back from a sailing trip there, I reckon you get maybe 5 good windy days in a 2 week period. There are many great flat water locations on the main island and also by short boat trips out to the lagoon islands. If you don't mind roughing it camping is allowed on the lagoon islands. many local kiters and kite schools in the Noumea area. Also some world class wave kiting at the reef passes, but need a boat for that. We also spent some time at Lord Howe which is also a good location but the lagoon can be a little on the shallow coral side in places and you won't have much company when kiting.

Its good that you have time because I can assure you that nowhere in the Pacific will have good wind every day. The weather just doesn't work like that, you may get 3 to 5 days of good trade winds in a row but there will also be equally long periods of lighter wind - great for diving, snorkelling, surfing, but not for kiting.

brinm
75 posts
10 Feb 2016 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

We operate tours to Aitutaki lagoon each year, details on www.kiteboardaitutaki.com, cheers

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
11 Feb 2016 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brinm said..
We operate tours to Aitutaki lagoon each year, details on www.kiteboardaitutaki.com, cheers

+1 for Aitutaki. Paradise on earth and absolutely amazing kiting at an affordable price.

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
12 Feb 2016 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah Aitutaki is an unbelievably beautiful place but if pretty much guaranteed wind is what you are after you cannot go wrong with Australian Kite Surfari. I think they only had three windless days up there all last season. TBH it blows so freaking much at times you wish it would stop

PenKite
VIC, 29 posts
20 Feb 2016 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Call me 0413835345

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Winter Kiting spots in Pacific?" started by stillkiting