Forums > Kitesurfing General

Torn ACL - Can you recommend Perth doctor/surgeon

Created by JimJones > 9 months ago, 12 Jan 2013
JimJones
QLD, 236 posts
12 Jan 2013 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Folks,

The missus has torn her ACL in her knee, and needs a knee reconstruction.

Can any of you personally recommend a Perth doctor/surgeon?

She's done an ACL previously, and the quack who fixed that one stuffed it up. Really looking for a new one, a good one, that has enabled you to get back out there as close as possible to good as new. We've got health insurance so its a matter of choosing the right one.

Happy if you just want to send me a PM or post on here, no stress.

Cheers,

Jimbo

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
12 Jan 2013 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jimbo,

Tore my ACL Jan last year and had surgery in March. Doctor mate made the best recommendation and that was to go to Perth Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine to see "the best" in the business - Dr Keith Holt. You pay extra even on top of top medical but it is worth it. Keith is the surgeon to the high profile football players and various other athletes.

It was a long recovery however I am happy with where I am. Keith is an exceptional surgeon and worth every cent. His speciality is knees and is not a generalist. Apparently many other surgeons are generalists and as you mentioned could have a greater chance of stuffing it up.

Other surgeons who are apparently also very good are Dr's Withero and Annear and also work out of the same practice.

All the best.

LouD
WA, 641 posts
12 Jan 2013 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Brett Bairstow

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
12 Jan 2013 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

I got mine done by Dr Ben Hewitt at 31 Outrum st Perth. Got a composite LARS and hamstring graft and was kitesurfing again within 3 months. Although it took about 18 months till I could go hard.
That was 3 years ago and its been fine since.

eppo
WA, 9366 posts
12 Jan 2013 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Holt or Peter annear

bermand
WA, 247 posts
12 Jan 2013 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

There are several excellent lower limb surgeons at Hollywood Orthopaedic Group, who do ACL's, they include Colin Whitewood, Gavin Clark , Sean Williams and Clem McCormack they all do lots of ACL's and also are no gap providers. I would confidently go to any of these guys. Talk to your own GP and have a look at their website.

Obviously POSM surgeons are all excellent, however there will be a large gap for exactly the same operation. Out of the guys there I think Yens
Buelow has done most ACL'S, Holt, Annear, Hogan, Hewitt, Witherow and Greg Janes are all excellent as well.

Remember though all Surgery has it's risks so there are never guarantee's, 95% of time though there should not be a problem.

Bertie
NSW, 1351 posts
12 Jan 2013 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

shi thouse said...
Hi Jimbo,

Tore my ACL Jan last year and had surgery in March. Doctor mate made the best recommendation and that was to go to Perth Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine to see "the best" in the business - Dr Keith Holt. You pay extra even on top of top medical but it is worth it. Keith is the surgeon to the high profile football players and various other athletes.

It was a long recovery however I am happy with where I am. Keith is an exceptional surgeon and worth every cent. His speciality is knees and is not a generalist. Apparently many other surgeons are generalists and as you mentioned could have a greater chance of stuffing it up.

Other surgeons who are apparently also very good are Dr's Withero and Annear and also work out of the same practice.

All the best.

Keith Holt did my knee ( 3 ligaments and ITB) and did a sterling job. I'd seen 3 other specalists before, one messed up my LCL repair and the other 2 saked Holt how to fix me up. He knew all about me before i even walked in the door. The fact all the other surgeons go to him for advice made him an easy choice for me.

Its a pitty when i tore the remaing undamaged ligament last year, and my knee has gone downhill somewhat since :(

just dont expect him to be super chatty. if you want to talk and discuss options see annear.

pezza
WA, 153 posts
12 Jan 2013 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Sean Williams did mine several years ago and was really good. No problems at all. I would definately recommend him.

spikeysteve
WA, 84 posts
12 Jan 2013 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

dr david colvin, works out of sjog subi

had a knee recon (acl), got such a good result that i went back to him when i did my ankle, no problems with each surgery

hirschausen
WA, 419 posts
12 Jan 2013 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Peter Annear without a doubt,
I tore all my hamstrings off my pelvis kiting in exmouth this past Easter. Been back on the water since Nov.
Bloody good surgeon, with a matter of fact approach. He will tell you what to do and what's required to get back to it.

Would not hesitate to recommend him.

I've had two knee surgeries and one a full recon. With three different surgeons. I'll be going to Peter if I have any other concerns.

mowingtgrass
5 posts
13 Jan 2013 12:39AM
Thumbs Up

I heard Mr Greg Witherow is the best in Perth..

Gremio83
WA, 24 posts
13 Jan 2013 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi JimJones!
Shi thouse is absolutely right, Dr Keith Rolt is the one to go!
Put this way... he is the surgeon of the other doctors!
I've done my ACL surgery with him 3 years ago and everything was great. The recover was 3 times faster and painless than my first knee recon.

rbl
WA, 153 posts
13 Jan 2013 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Graham Forward, murdoch hospital, so closer to shoalwater. He does it in an arvo and will have you with John Annear the other brother that used to be eagles doing physio. Awesome surgeon and physio working together.
they did mine, no issues

JimJones
QLD, 236 posts
13 Jan 2013 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks very much for the responses guys! Great community response, and I really appreciate it.

mlmalmedal@yahoo.no
NSW, 13 posts
14 Jan 2013 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

I realation to which type of ACL recon. Do some reading up in LARS if u are considering to have that instead of hamstring graft. LARS had poor long term studies and I have seen some pretty bad results from this surgery. I would opt for the hamstring graft.

h20fly
WA, 384 posts
13 Jan 2013 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

emeric tranastic.. thats probably not how you spell his name .. but hes the orthopaedic consultant at joondalup .. hes the whole reason i can talk again

h20fly
WA, 384 posts
13 Jan 2013 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...
Holt or Peter annear

isnt oeter annear a physio? i swear he was my phsyio :)

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
13 Jan 2013 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

mlmalmedal@yahoo.no said...
I realation to which type of ACL recon. Do some reading up in LARS if u are considering to have that instead of hamstring graft. LARS had poor long term studies and I have seen some pretty bad results from this surgery. I would opt for the hamstring graft.

Absolutely, apparently recovery is quick and it suits professional sports people who need to be out and putting their bodies back on the line ASAP it is the way to go, however after a couple of years it needs redoing again. Hamstring graft is a better long term solution generally resulting in a strong result.

P.S. Important note for post Op. ensure you do all physio exercises religiously if you want best results.

JimJones
QLD, 236 posts
15 Jan 2013 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys. They don't mess around, she's had the op today, first report was all went well. Went with the docs at Perth Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine and with the hamstring graft for the reasons you mentioned.

Really appreciate your comments.

Next up, the physio recovery.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Torn ACL - Can you recommend Perth doctor/surgeon" started by JimJones