Forums > Kitesurfing General

Tethered launch using Ozone leash?

Created by default > 9 months ago, 12 Dec 2012
WA, 1255 posts
12 Dec 2012 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Will be kiting alone this arvo (as per usual) and going by the strength of yesterday's breeze I'm planning on launching via tether to a beach path pine log fence.

I usually just launch the other method where you pull the kite around and up it goes… but with the amount of weed and debris over my beach atm, Im thinking will be a bit sketchy in such high winds.

Last night was wondering what I had which I could use to connect CL to fence post, without having to open/release CL to detach from tether..

All I have that may work is a spare new Ozone leash. I thought I could wrap leash around the fence (thick pine log post) a couple of times then attach the o-ring end to the carabina end (to secure arrangement to post). Then just clip leash carabina onto CL for a tethered launch.

I would have thought the leash doubled up in this arrangement would be up to the task.. Do you guys think it would be ok?

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
12 Dec 2012 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

The weak point though is the shackle at the end of your leash.
I would use something else

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
12 Dec 2012 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

Can ya get to a local hardware store?

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
12 Dec 2012 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

I use a stainless steel caribiner/snap-lock type thingy and some rope (a clip on each end), the biggest clip I could find at the hardware store, one with a smooth finish to the inside of opening gate (some have a hook type latch).

The clip on the leashes is too small, especially at the point where you are trying to swap over or undo it in a hurry and if it's a smooth finish there is less chance of catching it.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
12 Dec 2012 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Ta Chris if he answered yes I was About to advise the very same.

WA, 1255 posts
12 Dec 2012 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

na not going to get the chance to get to hardware tonight.. will give the leash a miss though.

will think of something else.. missus launch maybe ;) and build a tether when I can

how are you guys connecting the rope to the carabinas?

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
12 Dec 2012 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

If you can't tie knots, tie lots.

WA, 1255 posts
12 Dec 2012 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

Chris6791 said...

was thinking a bowline knot each end.. what size rope will do the trick?

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
12 Dec 2012 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

default said...
Chris6791 said...

was thinking a bowline knot each end.. what size rope will do the trick?

anything greater than the sum of your kite lines' combined breaking capacity should do. (not being much help I know, but trying to get my post-count up.)

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
12 Dec 2012 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Figure eight knot will do it. Double rope over at end then do a figure eight knot leaving a decent loop at the end. Then do it the other side. Thread one loop through the end of the carabiner thingy then feed the other end through the loop and pull tight.

If you have a pole etc, wrap line around pole and thread the carabiner through the other loop and pull tight.

Easy. Bow line would work to, its a strong knot but the doubled up figure of eight doubles up the rope hence the strength.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
12 Dec 2012 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Mine is I think 8mm 'silver' anchor rope. I can say from experience this will fail before your kite lines will

Interesting point Lostdog makes, personally I'd prefer the tether weaker that the sum of the kite lines (or have a safety release included (or weaker and with a release)).

If something goes wrong and the kite powers up and starts smashing around I'd rather the tether snap and have the kite fall fairly harmlessly from the sky than have the tether stronger than the lines and have the lines or kite start snapping and ripping apart, and flailing around until the kite and/or lines disintegrate. Both scenarios have a kite tumbling downwind eventually, one intact, the other with terminal damage.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
12 Dec 2012 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Chris6791 said...
Mine is I think 8mm 'silver' anchor rope. I can say from experience this will fail before your kite lines will

Interesting point Lostdog makes, personally I'd prefer the tether weaker that the sum of the kite lines (or have a safety release included (or weaker and with a release)).

If something goes wrong and the kite powers up and starts smashing around I'd rather the tether snap and have the kite fall fairly harmlessly from the sky than have the tether stronger than the lines and have the lines or kite start snapping and ripping apart, and flailing around until the kite and/or lines disintegrate. Both scenarios have a kite tumbling downwind eventually, one intact, the other with terminal damage.

Try climbing rope, its strong enough to do the job. Most indoor climbing places replace their ropes a bit so they always have old stock that would do the job.

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
12 Dec 2012 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Chris6791 said...

Chris - agree with you in principal, but think any rope with that tolerance in breaking strain will be very hard to find. Make sure tether is secure and control kite immediately by hand, do not give it opportunity to go mental.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
12 Dec 2012 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Get a bungy chord and hook it onto a passer by who is walking their dog, should work a treat, tethered launch is the future of kiting......

Wisha
SA, 255 posts
12 Dec 2012 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Dog leash (for a big dog- braded etc)) wrap around post, then back through the handle. Other end has a clip (can put on a carabeener if you want), clip on to chicken loop or just above it. $5..done.

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
12 Dec 2012 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

I use the follow and attach it to what ever will do the job - usually the bull bar of the 4WD but a sturdy post, picnic table etc will do!
The clip is a 4 " or 100mm stainless and smooth clip.
Its also important to fully de-power the kite when self launching and landing - tends to stop the bastard taking off in a gust!

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
12 Dec 2012 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

next time you are up at bunnings they have a big 150mm hook like ^^^^ they are only about $6 used for carrying or keeping power extension leads in order i use it when i cant self lauch land or just so i can have a drink. as above full depower kite and no probs ever not even a slight one .

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
12 Dec 2012 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

LostDog said...
Chris6791 said...

Chris - agree with you in principal, but think any rope with that tolerance in breaking strain will be very hard to find. Make sure tether is secure and control kite immediately by hand, do not give it opportunity to go mental.

I'm careful enough but on one occassion I had a tiny piece of weed pinching two of the lines together, as I looked down the lines and saw it the kite filled with air, powered up and rocketed off in an instant. It ripped from one side of the window to the other and back several times before the tether snapped.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
12 Dec 2012 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Lambie said...

I use the follow and attach it to what ever will do the job - usually the bull bar of the 4WD but a sturdy post, picnic table etc will do!
The clip is a 4 " or 100mm stainless and smooth clip.
Its also important to fully de-power the kite when self launching and landing - tends to stop the bastard taking off in a gust!

Yep that's the one. Nice bow lines man.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
12 Dec 2012 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

suface2air said...
next time you are up at bunnings they have a big 150mm hook like ^^^^ they are only about $6 used for carrying or keeping power extension leads in order i use it when i cant self lauch land or just so i can have a drink. as above full depower kite and no probs ever not even a slight one .

Got a picture man?

Plummet
4862 posts
12 Dec 2012 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Here's mine, spliced up some rope either end and squashed an S shackle on there. Its about 3m long. that way i can wrap around rocks and big logs it need be.

Cost about $8.

AndyEliotH
QLD, 356 posts
12 Dec 2012 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

you can get blue sand screws that you just screw in with a similar rope and clip and off you go

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
12 Dec 2012 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Plummet said...

Here's mine, spliced up some rope either end and squashed an S shackle on there. Its about 3m long. that way i can wrap around rocks and big logs it need be.

Cost about $8.

Spliced ropes Farq me plum you a Boy Scout or something!

Hey the hook thing, ever worried about ya chicken loop jumping out when the kite depowers suddenly, or the angle changes.

WA, 1255 posts
12 Dec 2012 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the pic lambie, I'm copying your setup. Big winds didn't materialize today (strange weather here atm) so made a trip to hardware. Sorted for next time I need it :)

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
12 Dec 2012 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Strange weather indeed. Don't know if ya saw it on the rain radar but Mandurah was in the eye of this clockwise rotating almost cyclone looking low. Was sunny in the middle and overhead got on my roof, thunder storm clouds 36o degrees. Was bloody weird man.

I did get out yesterday, and got in just in time. When I was being lifted out of the water with board edge and bum sunk in as hard as I could, came in. Then the wind kicked in another 10 to 20 knots stronger. Dumb idea in the first place.

Plummet
4862 posts
13 Dec 2012 3:36AM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...
Plummet said...

Cost about $8.

Spliced ropes Farq me plum you a Boy Scout or something!

Hey the hook thing, ever worried about ya chicken loop jumping out when the kite depowers suddenly, or the angle changes.

I worried at first but it has never jumped out. To me its faster and therefore safer hooking and unhooking from it.

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
14 Dec 2012 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

hey eppo it is just the same as this one in video except i havent got the strap on mine as i just snap it on the bullbar or just some rope on a log .If every thing is depowered and kite in right spot with out big gust max pull is about 3-4 kgs on the hook .

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
14 Dec 2012 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

suface2air said...
hey eppo it is just the same as this one in video except i havent got the strap on mine as i just snap it on the bullbar or just some rope on a log .If every thing is depowered and kite in right spot with out big gust max pull is about 3-4 kgs on the hook .

Is the video title "self launch tool" refering to the fact that you would need to be a bit of a tool to launch like this with your lines across a bike way/footpath. I can imagine a couple of kids happily racing their bikes straight into the lines...
Other than that, all good.

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
14 Dec 2012 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

hey skid i thought the same thing too,, tool absolute tool . Any how i have the same set up after the kite is up i clip it on the handel on the back of harness so i can land any where if i need it . only use it if it is blowen its ass off otherwise i launch land on the sand .

Plummet
4862 posts
15 Dec 2012 2:51AM
Thumbs Up

at 2.40 he unhooks the chicken loop from the teather and then hooks it into his harness. Thats a silly way to do it. particularily in 30+ knots. The kite can be ripped out of your hands.

I have the longer teather and that enables me to hook in while the kite is still attached to the teather. The if theres any big gusts during the hook in process the teather takes it.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Tethered launch using Ozone leash?" started by default