Forums > Kitesurfing General

Tarfia Kite Trip

Created by Snatchmack > 9 months ago, 2 Aug 2016
Snatchmack
NSW, 2 posts
2 Aug 2016 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

I just returned from an amazing kite surf trip to Tarifa Spain and wanted to share the experience here. I was in the UK for my sister's wedding and having recently been made redundant, extended my stay in Europe and decided to squeeze in a cheeky Kitesurf trip to Europe's kite surf capital - Tarfia in Spain. I booked last minute through Kiteworld who were very attentive and provided a number of possible destinations that suited my budget and I decided on Tarifa.

The accommodation was amazing - they block book a four story house for the season with 8+ bedrooms all with ensuites in the old town which had its own rooftop terrace and have a Kiteworldwide rep on site. The entire week was really well organised and attentive with Gabrielle and his team on instructors looking after not only the beginners but offering support to the intermediates upwards. I've been kiting just two years and with two of the days was simply too windy for me as the wind changed to Levante (the other wind type in Tarifa is Poniente) bringing with it 50 knot mostly offshore winds, the pros were out practicing ahead of the world kite tour Tarifa leg. When levante was kiteable, the rescue system given the offshore nature of the wind is that a number of dedicated kite rescue boats (up to four) patrol the kite section of the beach providing rescues when needed. You have to pre purchase 'rescue vouchers' for 30 Euros each sold in blocks of 3 or 5 to use if need a boat pick up. If you don't have a voucher, you still get rescued (of course) but the price goes up to over 100 Euros. Being there with Kiteworldwide meant that any rescues required were included in the package no no voucher purchase required.

The beach was busy (see photo below) but there are sections for beginners so don't be put off if you're trying kiting here for the first time. All up an amazing trip with an awesome nightlife both at the beach bars at within the old town.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
2 Aug 2016 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

first post and a review of a specific business in tarifa . who woulda thought

rescuer vouchers ?

MrFreeze
289 posts
2 Aug 2016 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..

rescuer vouchers ?

Hmmmmm, come on Dusta. Don't be so cynical. It's purely coincidental.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
2 Aug 2016 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrFreeze said..

dusta said..

rescuer vouchers ?

Hmmmmm, come on Dusta. Don't be so cynical. It's purely coincidental.

and the fact he can't speeel tarifa properly in the thread title :)

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
3 Aug 2016 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear they got wind - will be holidaying there end of August, after Paris

Snatchmack
NSW, 2 posts
3 Aug 2016 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Dusta - FYI, I wrote this first post having read reviews here on other kite trips that I've found helpful and so simply thought I would do the same - maybe someone else might be interested ! You suggest that I gained something by writing this - I didn't !! I just thought it might have been interesting to others is all...... soooo critical - what a way to welcome a new person to this site - well done !

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
3 Aug 2016 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Snatchmack - dont worry, your info is helpful as im about to look for somewhere to stay there and maybe hook up with some "friendly" kiters lol

Dont worry about the keyboard punters on here - there a dime a dozen, its ridiculous sometimes...

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
3 Aug 2016 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Snatchmack said..
Dusta - FYI, I wrote this first post having read reviews here on other kite trips that I've found helpful and so simply thought I would do the same - maybe someone else might be interested ! You suggest that I gained something by writing this - I didn't !! I just thought it might have been interesting to others is all...... soooo critical - what a way to welcome a new person to this site - well done !

sorry if i seem cynical snatchmack but the way your post was laid out and being a first post , and not even introducing yourself in your first post it screams of advertising . If it wasn't then accept my heartfelt apology and continue to enjoy a long stay on these forums .

dachopper
WA, 1784 posts
5 Aug 2016 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

I can vouch for the location, it rocks, about 10 kite shops within 2 km of each other, good rescue system, you can rent gear from about any shop, and they have tons of cheap second hand gear.
I rented a hydrofoil $50, for 24 hours.

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
5 Aug 2016 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Damn we are lucky in WA, if that's the best On offer. My worst fckn nightmare

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
6 Aug 2016 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said...
Damn we are lucky in WA, if that's the best On offer. My worst fckn nightmare

Agree with that! The beach bars are the only thing that we miss out on. But then we make our own so whatever

RayQ
WA, 633 posts
6 Aug 2016 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

was in the area about 4 weeks ago and wanted to check out Tarifa after visiting the place about 20/years ago. So was traveling from Cadiz to about Cape Trafalgar, in anendless stream of slow moving cars along the coastal road, when I decided, this is crap, comming from the West Coast of Australia kiting anywhere along the coast neerTarifa can only be a novelty experience

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Tarfia Kite Trip" started by Snatchmack