Forums > Kitesurfing General

Sun Induced Eye Injuries

Created by jetstream > 9 months ago, 22 Feb 2012
arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
24 Feb 2012 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

I have had both eyes done for pteridgiums, the surgery is no fun I can tell you...I think it is now done with lasers and is not as invasive as it used to be but I'm sure it's still not pleasant...when I had mine done it was local anesthetic first (needle into the eyeball) to deaden the eye...then cut off with a scalpel the whole time your eyelids are clamped open so you can't blink....I kite with gath helmet with visor pulled down to the top of a pair of sunnies....I think I look like someone who is waiting to get shot out of a cannon....but hey they are'nt growing back...at least if I can help it....look after your eyes...our sport is a very hostile environment for them.

jordangirdis
NSW, 178 posts
25 Feb 2012 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

I have a big nose/bridge, and I've tried most of the usual things glasses such as the seabreeze ones but nothing fits. Does anyone know of any polarized glasses for people with a super wide bridge? The main problem I have is the glasses sit too high, so I need some that sit super low on normal people

ice
VIC, 219 posts
25 Feb 2012 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

While the surgery is no fun, it is not that bad.

I had one pteridgium removed 10 yrs ago and then one from my other eye about 5 years ago.

I had no hesitation having the second eye done. It is quite a regular surgery and only takes a few minutes. 24 hours with an eye patch and its all over.

I have had no recurrence but I wear a hat and sunglasses when kiting, and mostly after 4 pm when the UV is much lower.

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
25 Feb 2012 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Nice photos .

I always wear sunglasses (Seaspecs). I find they don't tend to fog up (especially with a bit of spit inside them, as for a dive mask) and the strap keeps them on my head quite securely.

I also use a helmet (Protec) which locks them on so they can't come off. It also provides a bit of sun protection, but not as much as a brimmed surf hat.

I use a grey lens is good for bright sunny days and a brown lens for winter, cloudy days, dawn or dusk.

I have a clear pair too but haven't used them much. The brown lens is good for nearly all low light conditions.

I really like the protection that glasses offer from spray too.

More info: kitesurfing-handbook.peterskiteboarding.com/gear/sunglasses

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Sun Induced Eye Injuries" started by jetstream