Forums > Kitesurfing General

Shark Scenario #1 - Brighton Beach Perth

Created by Ioz > 9 months ago, 5 Sep 2011
GreenGriff
SA, 137 posts
7 Sep 2011 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

speaking of ink defense system

isnt there a an actual shark repellant available if you had some thing like that in ya back pack you could pop it just to make sure you get back to your board

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
7 Sep 2011 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

Get back to board asap, but be in the counter attack ready position, at least you will go down fighting.

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
7 Sep 2011 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

ezza said...

Promise yourself, god & whoever else you can think of, to be good & start going to bed earlier and drinking less beer...

Did you make any promises on your 20m body drag
I will see what time you go to bed at oldbar

Prawnhead
NSW, 1317 posts
8 Sep 2011 6:58AM
Thumbs Up

i normally just pull out the shark repellant from my utility belt located above my harness

ezza
NSW, 561 posts
8 Sep 2011 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

wdric said...

ezza said...

Promise yourself, god & whoever else you can think of, to be good & start going to bed earlier and drinking less beer...

Did you make any promises on your 20m body drag
I will see what time you go to bed at oldbar

I promised myself I would clean behind my ears more regularly Ric, and that I would remember to take my vitamins. There was nothing in there about beer or late nights (as if!) I don't necessarily take my own advice

Lebowski
VIC, 87 posts
8 Sep 2011 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

I would catch the shark, drag it to the beach and eat it for dinner, we are at the top of the food chain. [}:)]

pueter66
QLD, 205 posts
9 Sep 2011 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

I have my system set for fully automatic

Ellobuddha said...

I'd go for my trusty squid defence system and hide in my own BROWN cloud of eeerrr ink??

pueter66
QLD, 205 posts
9 Sep 2011 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Is That the new ripcurl gear for summer

Prawnhead said...

i normally just pull out the shark repellant from my utility belt located above my harness

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
9 Sep 2011 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

hamburglar said...

Addikt said...

I would start crying like a school girl...........

yer but what would you do if you see a shark in the water ?

Meet me behind the stairs after school........ ;)

GreenGriff
SA, 137 posts
10 Sep 2011 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

maybe if you really really worried try this thesharkshocker.com/
dont know how effective it would be against a shark that has the blood lust( any thing that gets in my mouth is mine) but mmmmaybe

just for your own piece of mind lol who cares if it really works for $29

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
11 Sep 2011 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

i didnt read all the posts, but i do remember watching a sharks docco recently on discovery. The guy basically went out and did lots of tests to see what works best in certain situations.

one such situation was with i think a Tiger shark, scenario 1 was just floating dead still with legs dangling down, scenario 2 was swiming at a gentle pace back to the boat (both done with robotic swimmer thingos using pneumatics to move the legs).

The one just floating around was the first to get hit, the one with the gentle kicking legs and moving at an average pace was left alone.
There was something about thrashing around but I can't remember it... pretty sure dragging to your board will be the scariest but probably safest.

If i can find it on youtube I'll post it.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
12 Sep 2011 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Have pondered this myself..

50m or so from shore Superloops and crash to the shore ASAP (broken bones a lesser punishment IMO). Apparently noahs are attrated to the shiny movement of baods so would be hoping board becomes the wood duck too.

Beyond 70m? Lay serious skids trying to get to board, but probably not wise as a slow trawling kiter seems an all you can eat buffet to me.

Probably much better to thrash and smash supalooping even from that far out as grey suit may mistake it as a form of aggression and go for board instead..

Either way, some serious understains to remove from boardies/wetty later!

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
12 Sep 2011 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Charl dv said...

i didnt read all the posts, but i do remember watching a sharks docco recently on discovery. The guy basically went out and did lots of tests to see what works best in certain situations.

one such situation was with i think a Tiger shark, scenario 1 was just floating dead still with legs dangling down, scenario 2 was swiming at a gentle pace back to the boat (both done with robotic swimmer thingos using pneumatics to move the legs).

The one just floating around was the first to get hit, the one with the gentle kicking legs and moving at an average pace was left alone.
There was something about thrashing around but I can't remember it... pretty sure dragging to your board will be the scariest but probably safest.

Whilst those tests are interesting, I don't they don't take into account the shark's incredible sense of smell etc that can pick up on your secretions due to a MASSIVE arrival of adrenalin and also (literally) the body's desire to dump any extra weight and fark orf outta there!

Sharky is gonna know you aint C3PO and probably not give a fig if your are trying on your best salute the sun yoga pose.

the gibbo
WA, 776 posts
12 Sep 2011 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Jr Walks said...

Both are good options.

1). If you get back to your board start kiting away the shark could easily push you off again
2). You can't out body drag a shark. Sharks also like thrashing water.

So you're really at the mercy of the shark.

You have had the dubious experience of being bitten jnr
Do you remember what you thought, did everthing slow or did you think f off your only little and crack it one in the head.
I am not diminishing you shark bite(personaly i would have let go of all bodily fluids no matter what bit me in the water).

But i am interested to know if there was time to think.
Sorry if youve been through all this before.

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
14 Sep 2011 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

Charl dv said...

Whilst those tests are interesting, I don't they don't take into account the shark's incredible sense of smell etc that can pick up on your secretions due to a MASSIVE arrival of adrenalin and also (literally) the body's desire to dump any extra weight and fark orf outta there!

Sharky is gonna know you aint C3PO and probably not give a fig if your are trying on your best salute the sun yoga pose.

i get that, but i remember these tests being set out fairly well and i was quite impressed by the whole set up, im normally quite skeptical about any form of tests that dont involve real life circumstances :P
buuut if the tv tells me its ok, then i will believe it in the hopes of keeping my excretions to an absolute minimum.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
14 Sep 2011 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh - not bagging the tests Charles, they are interesting but I think they are devoid of the smell of fear.. literally.

Like someone said earlier LOOP IT LIKE A POLAROID and get the fark outta there I rekn.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Shark Scenario #1 - Brighton Beach Perth" started by Ioz