Forums > Kitesurfing General

Reminder to check your spreader bar

Created by Surfer62 > 9 months ago, 29 Oct 2013
moon waxing
WA, 305 posts
15 Feb 2014 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Alarm bells ringing, I helped rescued a mates kite on Monday when his Dakine spreader bar hook snapped off.

geordieboy
WA, 224 posts
16 Feb 2014 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Robbo2099 said..
Seeing this all the time now. Guy from Germany kiting at Coronation last week had his Dakine spreader bar break off about 1km out (conicidentally, on the same day two 5m sharks were sighted at Geraldton Port, 15km away...)

Dakine -- don't you think it's about time for a product recall?http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/regional/gascoyne/a/21444297/authorities-rule-out-extension-of-shark-cull-to-geraldton/

The problem we have hear is they are using different grades of stainless steel and the filler wire is not compatable for welding the 2 types

they will continue to snap and crack until they use the correct filler wire or use compatable grades of stainless

JohnHS
WA, 34 posts
18 Feb 2014 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you VERY much for this thread, feels like synchronicity.

I was planning my first attempt at tow up jumping this weekend using a 4 year old Daikine harness.
Thanks to this thread I think ill use an industrial harness instead.

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
18 Feb 2014 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JohnHS said..

Thank you VERY much for this thread, feels like synchronicity.

I was planning my first attempt at tow up jumping this weekend using a 4 year old Daikine harness.
Thanks to this thread I think ill use an industrial harness instead.

I'm almost afraid to ask.....

What is 'tow up jumping'?

(I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be mistaking a kite for a para-sail)?

JohnHS
WA, 34 posts
18 Feb 2014 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Skid said..

I'm almost afraid to ask.....What is 'tow up jumping'?

(I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be mistaking a kite for a para-sail)?

No, no mistake tow up kite jumping is exactly what the term implies, useing a kite like a para-sail.
Search youtube for "tow up kite jumping" there are more than a few examples. I think the current record is about 750 ft vertical.
I think ill start with a 50m rope, riding up to 45 degrees then droping the rope = 25m vertical. If all works ok then progress to a 100m rope.

PS: I noticed in the video of the highest jump the kiter was wearing a reserve parachute

Robbo2099
WA, 736 posts
18 Feb 2014 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

The Dakine problems appear to be nothing more than inferior welding technique.

I showed my broken spreader bar to a mate who is a top-of-game welder -- he did the welds on the submarine that went to the bottom of the Marianas Trench last year -- and his comments were:

"A poor weld will generally fail at the HAZ (heat affected zone) with stainless this can generally be attributed to over heat of the parent material or poor post weld inert gas. With small diameter bars it is very easy to overheat the parent material especially as the spreader bar requires greater heat input. The trick is to angle the electrode bias towards the thicker material and thus reducing overheat to the smaller diameter bar. If you have a look at a Mystic spreader they stitch weld the loop together before welding it to the spreader effectively doubling the weld length and allowing greater heat dispersion."

I reckon Dakine should be replacing every bar they've put on the market since this problem was identified. It's a known defect and is endangering people's lives.

The retailers are picking up the cost of replacing all the broken ones (Thank you Kitepower--awesome service, as always) but I don't see any sign of the manufacturer accepting responsibility for a defective product.

BlackPanth3r
WA, 21 posts
19 Feb 2014 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

Effing dakine.. I just got a new harness coz mine got torn off my body while carving to heelside... just lucky I was close to shore and my gear was rescued before it was blown into any obstacles. Never going dakine again, plus thats not the first issue ive had.

kitebored
NSW, 552 posts
20 Feb 2014 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Good idea to check all your gear, I found a crack in a chicken loop recently. Seems quite common also.

austin
671 posts
21 Feb 2014 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitebored said..

Good idea to check all your gear, I found a crack in a chicken loop recently. Seems quite common also.

in all fairness that's an ancient bar

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
24 Feb 2014 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like mine is on it's way out. Where do I buy a mystic spreader bar?

KPSS Used
NSW, 372 posts
Site Sponsor
24 Feb 2014 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

These spreaders will fit single webbing harnesses, dakine's also but not as neat. They are completely forged, no welds.

www.kitepower.com.au/collections/kitesurfing/Harnesses

We have some with spreader bar pads fitted to them also.

Robbo2099
WA, 736 posts
26 Feb 2014 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Just a note on how to tell if your spreader bar may be on the way out -- get a magnifier and look closely at the area where the hook is welded to the bar. If you see any yellowing that doesn't rub off or any hairline cracks along there, it's time to replace it. That yellowing is corrosion from saltwater interacting with the welding metals and means that the water is getting inside the weld.

Look at the photos I posted earlier in the thread and you can see the yellow discolouration along the areas where the break occurred -- dead giveaway.

Plummet
4862 posts
26 Feb 2014 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

On a technical note there various forms of corrosion that can attack stainless particularly in salt water enviroments.

Intergranular corrrosion. Corrosion between the grain boundries created by heating when welding and poor stainless grades.

Stress corrosion cracking. Corrosion and cracking instigated in a place of stress typically over 55 deg c at standard salt water concentration

pitting corrosion: localised pits of corrosion caused by the break down in passive layer in the stainless.

Crevice corrosion. Similar to pitting corrosion by occurs in a crevice where salt concentrations are higher and oxygen is deprived. This can happen at temperatures as low as -10 deg c.

What does all this have to do with Kiteboarding spreader bars?

Well you kite in the sea which means you are in an enviroment where these forms of corrosion can propagate. The spreader bar is usually wrapped with neoprene or similar which creates a crevice which means salt water can sit in higher concentrations lowering the temperature at which corrosion will start. The donkey d1ck welds are a point of high stress. Then you put your salty harness and spreader bar in a car that us very hot during the day. The higher the temperature the faster the salt water will corrode stainless............

Its all a perfect storm for corrosion to take place at the weakest point. The weakest point is the grain boundries in the weld.

So.... how can you reduce the chance of this type of failure? Rinse off your bar asap to get ride of the salt water. Then dry it off as well.

DO NOT leave any stainless parts salty and wet in your hot car for hours/days on end without rinsing off the saltwater first.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
26 Feb 2014 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

How about if you kite on a fresh water lake?

AndyHansen
WA, 278 posts
9 Mar 2014 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Middle of melville today, whilst racing.... Got to join the snapped dakin spreader bar club.
Was less than 6months old, hadnt checked it so not sure if any cracks had developed.

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
10 Mar 2014 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

A rep from a store should send this tread to Dakine, this is rediculous!

lostatsea
WA, 147 posts
10 Mar 2014 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

just to add my two cents to the above info, most of the spreader bar cracks are fatigue cracks from having inferior weld processes(robbo's mate summed the welding side up nicely), then being cyclically loaded during a session ie. repeatedly pulled up forward, left, right etc.

In this situation the discolour you see is typically from chloride stress corrosion cracking (salt induced), this will also slightly contribute to the cracking.

A lot of these cracks will be to hard to see by eye so the best way to check for cracks on your spreader bar, dye penetrant inspection (DPI), you can do a very basic DPI at home, using contact cleaner, red (or any colour but darker the better) food dye, rag and talc powder

Clean/ spray area with contact cleaner, not anything oil based like CRC or WD40, let this thoroughly dry off

Use a small paint brush-if you have one- to coat surface of weld and 5mm of either side of weld with red food dye, leave on at least 20 minutes, recoat if it starts to look dry

Wipe off excess dye with rag, then lightly wet rag with water re wipe area til all visible food dye is gone

Puff a light amount of talc on area, not to thick of a coat, and watch for any red lines appearing.

If there is cracking the dye sucks into the crack (capillary action) and the talc draws it back out, red line = don?t use

More info http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/PenetrantTest/Principles/liquidpi.htm
www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Materials/Mechanical/Fatigue.htm

if you are in the south west wa or karratha based I can give you some of the proper stuff to do this

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Reminder to check your spreader bar" started by Surfer62