Forums > Kitesurfing General

Recovering from a Kite Inversion / Bridle tangle

Created by KiteBud > 9 months ago, 5 Jan 2015
KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
5 Jan 2015 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

I’ve been meaning to shoot this video for a while...finally got around to it, so here it is!

I know advanced/expert kiters have their own methods to sort out inversions and bridle tangles without using the safety system. As with all my safety videos, they are targeted at beginners and intermediate kiters, with a focus on using the safety systems to get out of trouble.

Something we unfortunately don’t see very often when kiters get in trouble is having the first reflex to use the safety system. Hesitation to use safety systems after a kite inversion often results in long downwind drifts and long swims back to the shore…sometimes with out of control kites!

Hopefully this video will continue to encourage more kiters to use their safety systems at the early stages when something goes wrong.

I believe our sport would be a lot safer if all of us became more familiar with our safety systems.

Thanks for watching,

Christian

KBKiting
7 posts
5 Jan 2015 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

very helpful.

gkawo
VIC, 193 posts
5 Jan 2015 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome video! Very simple and quite common to many kiters I am sure. I recently converted my kite from a 5th line to a 4 line kite to avoid issues with the 5th line, but after watching your video I think I should have left it alone and relax more about the safety system. Thanks for sharing mate. :)

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
5 Jan 2015 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Christian. I am sure this will help many people in the future who haven't learned these important skills.

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
5 Jan 2015 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Great vid and info Christian. Its very timely and possibly even prompted by the fact that I've been inverting my kite every single session for the past week or more (since I started trying downloops). Got any vids on downloops?

johnnydiesel
WA, 8 posts
5 Jan 2015 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..
Hi all,

I’ve been meaning to shoot this video for a while...finally got around to it, so here it is!

I know advanced/expert kiters have their own methods to sort out inversions and bridle tangles without using the safety system. As with all my safety videos, they are targeted at beginners and intermediate kiters, with a focus on using the safety systems to get out of trouble.

Something we unfortunately don’t see very often when kiters get in trouble is having the first reflex to use the safety system. Hesitation to use safety systems after a kite inversion often results in long downwind drifts and long swims back to the shore…sometimes with out of control kites!

Hopefully this video will continue to encourage more kiters to use their safety systems at the early stages when something goes wrong.

I believe our sport would be a lot safer if all of us became more familiar with our safety systems.

Thanks for watching,

Christian

thanks Christian,
very clear concise method to correct a common problem

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
5 Jan 2015 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Very good! I never knew you could do that to clear a mangle/ inversion.

cheers

nikmcc
NSW, 259 posts
6 Jan 2015 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for posting

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
6 Jan 2015 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snalberski said..
Great vid and info Christian. Its very timely and possibly even prompted by the fact that I've been inverting my kite every single session for the past week or more (since I started trying downloops). Got any vids on downloops?

Thanks for the support everyone.

snalberski, can't say you haven't been of some influence there. It's good that my students get to see live problematic scenarios on a regular basis. Perhaps this video will help you manage the situation better and avoid some of the long downwind drifts and out of control kite.

You're trying kiteloops, not down-loops, which is why you crash so hard. Learn to ride toe-side both ways. Once you can ride toe side both ways at speed, try a downloop in a transition from toe side to heel side while your board is pointing directly downwind with speed, it's the easiest and safest way to learn loops. It will also help if you're not overpowered so a smaller kite is better to learn loops. You still break at the waist a lot which doesn't help your stance, since you've been kiting overpowered for a long time.

mickeeH
WA, 70 posts
6 Jan 2015 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

awesome, thanks for posting Christian.

I have an ozone single line flag out, but removed the stopper ball on the flag out line a long time ago, as it was getting in the way, especially on self launches. Think i might need to reattach it so the bar doesn't end up at the kite, and get an even worse tangled mess. Does anyone know how to rettach these? i can't remember how it was fixed to the line. I know it needs to be an entire wingspan in length from the end of the line.
Cheers,.

rockykite
VIC, 62 posts
6 Jan 2015 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the vid....awesome stuff. Keep up the good work Christian!

danatgbay
WA, 53 posts
6 Jan 2015 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thankyou for that.

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
6 Jan 2015 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mickeeH said...

I have an ozone single line flag out, but removed the stopper ball on the flag out line a long time ago, as it was getting in the way, especially on self launches.

I did the same on my ozones previously. It is a pain in the arse, I'll show you another way of uninverting if you want. I'm the bald guy riding fuels.

8Phill8
WA, 26 posts
8 Jan 2015 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome, thanks, will definitely do that next time

Ben - Ikon
WA, 113 posts
8 Jan 2015 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NickT said..

mickeeH said...

I have an ozone single line flag out, but removed the stopper ball on the flag out line a long time ago, as it was getting in the way, especially on self launches.

I did the same on my ozones previously. It is a pain in the arse, I'll show you another way of uninverting if you want. I'm the bald guy riding fuels.

NickT is really good at uninverting. He just go for two inversions. The second inversion cancelling the first one. But dont try that at home, this guy is a pro stunter

Gremio83
WA, 24 posts
8 Jan 2015 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome video!
Thanks for sharing!

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
8 Jan 2015 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Good tips, great video. Well done.

noodelsrominov
VIC, 265 posts
8 Jan 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

So whats everyone's tricks and tips for sorting out the inversion on the water? I've only successfully done this once. I unclipped my leash put it through my front lines clipped it back on. Then holding the front lines with enough slack threaded my bar through as well. As I'm writing this im thinking **** that's a bit dangerous. However, the reason I did it out on the water was cause I would have to self land and with my lines crossed seemed even more dangerous. This was with a 4line naish bar. Anyone got a good way to do it on the water?

prea
QLD, 184 posts
9 Jan 2015 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..
Hi all,

Thanks for watching,

Christian

Great skills Christian
inverting your kite at will
I'm over handlepasses

great advise keep it up
Pete

Nissey
VIC, 64 posts
11 Jan 2015 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

I can't play the video do you know where else I can view it

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
11 Jan 2015 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
noodelsrominov said...
So whats everyone's tricks and tips for sorting out the inversion on the water? I've only successfully done this once. I unclipped my leash put it through my front lines clipped it back on. Then holding the front lines with enough slack threaded my bar through as well. As I'm writing this im thinking **** that's a bit dangerous. However, the reason I did it out on the water was cause I would have to self land and with my lines crossed seemed even more dangerous. This was with a 4line naish bar. Anyone got a good way to do it on the water?

Pretty much bang on but only clip your leash around 1 line so it won't get tangled as you pass the bar through.

It's easier to do on the beach with your kite resting on the water, and you don't drift downwind whilst you're doing it.

Don't change your leash position until you're finished though.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
11 Jan 2015 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

The ball is attached at 7 or 8m from the bar on the flagging line we have them as a spare in shop swing by and we'll reattach or replace it for you
Toddy

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
11 Jan 2015 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nissey said..

Nissey,

I've just uploaded it to my Youtube Channel as well:

If you still can't play it, I reckon it must be an issue from your end.

RickyDee
NSW, 46 posts
11 Jan 2015 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Christian, a very helpful vid. Cheers

noodelsrominov
VIC, 265 posts
11 Jan 2015 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NickT said...
noodelsrominov said...

Pretty much bang on but only clip your leash around 1 line so it won't get tangled as you pass the bar through.

It's easier to do on the beach with your kite resting on the water, and you don't drift downwind whilst you're doing it.

Don't change your leash position until you're finished though.

Thanks Nick, had a bloody annoying inversion today followed by 20mins while the wind was pumping untangling my lines.
I put forward a challenge to kite companies to come up with a 2 line system that doesn't kill people and has 100% depower.....this would much easier to deal with inversions

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
12 Jan 2015 2:06AM
Thumbs Up

For those who are deaf, can someone please explain the method explained in the video? It's a shame there's no captions on the video.
Watching it, looks like release safety, pull bars back and relaunch. Obviously there's something else to this...

Cheers

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
11 Jan 2015 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..
For those who are deaf, can someone please explain the method explained in the video? It's a shame there's no captions on the video.
Watching it, looks like release safety, pull bars back and relaunch. Obviously there's something else to this...

Cheers

Subtitles are available in the Youtube video I posted above, just press the Subtitles/CC button to activate them. Enjoy

Nissey
VIC, 64 posts
12 Jan 2015 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RickyDee said..
Thanks Christian, a very helpful vid. Cheers

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..

Nissey said..

Nissey,

I've just uploaded it to my Youtube Channel as well:

If you still can't play it, I reckon it must be an issue from your end.

Awesome I do this all the time, tangle my kite that is will give it a go

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
12 Jan 2015 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..

Alysum said..

Cheers

Subtitles are available in the Youtube video I posted above, just press the Subtitles/CC button to activate them. Enjoy

Oh great thanks, they aren't available on mobile and works a treat on desktop

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
12 Jan 2015 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

This is a great post - thanks Christian

DJMWA
WA, 342 posts
16 Jan 2015 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Used this technique today and it worked an absolute treat. Was also quite surprised how well the kite flew with a crossed line.
Thanks Christian, you saved me from having a doozy of a tantrum.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Recovering from a Kite Inversion / Bridle tangle" started by KiteBud