Forums > Kitesurfing General

Photographer on beach = Monkeys on kites

Created by Kazan > 9 months ago, 19 Jan 2014
Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
19 Jan 2014 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

No joke.
Every time a photographer pops out to the water's edge to take photos of kite surfers, suddenly everyone is a "star" and try and do ridiculous moves and jumps. Most of course look like wack jobs and some jumps are even stupid altogether to the point of kites hitting each other. Seems to be worse when cameraman has a zoom lense!

Please!

If you see a photographer out there, mind your own bloody business and stay safe!

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
19 Jan 2014 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

take it to the qld thread where there might be a slightly remote chance someone might care

lukekiter
WA, 96 posts
19 Jan 2014 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

We never have this problem in WA , but I might be posting this in the wrong section ; )

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
19 Jan 2014 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Kazan, isnt there a turtle out there that needs your saving? Lets not turn seabreeze into a winge feast.

I'm the biggest show off there is, I boost 5m, from shore, yep, thats me.

Something to look back on when im old and gray.

BOOST ON!

My mistake, I have broken my own 5m rule. This photo was over a sand bar.....back when I first started kiting.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
19 Jan 2014 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

lol nice kite positioning

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
19 Jan 2014 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TurtleHunter said...
lol nice koyt positioning

fixed it for ya

stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
19 Jan 2014 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Stupidity is in our genome , deal with it!! I boost on the beach over the trees when the cameras are flickering( I own a cab) so technically not my fault

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
19 Jan 2014 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stabber said..

Stupidity is in our genome , deal with it!! I boost on the beach over the trees when the cameras are flickering( I own a fuel) so technically not my fault

On the note of fixing things

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
19 Jan 2014 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TurtleHunter said...

Not bad after 3 months. IMO.

Ercorn
QLD, 199 posts
19 Jan 2014 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

There are a lot of monkeys on kites when there aren't cameras around.

stamp
QLD, 2760 posts
19 Jan 2014 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Underoath said..

TurtleHunter said...

yes it is...

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
19 Jan 2014 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

What's so bad about Monkeys on kites

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
19 Jan 2014 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Underoath said...
Kazan, isnt there a turtle out there that needs your saving? Lets not turn seabreeze into a winge feast.

I'm the biggest show off there is, I boost 5m, from shore, yep, thats me.

Something to look back on when im old and gray.

BOOST ON!

My mistake, I have broken my own 5m rule. This photo was over a sand bar.....back when I first started kiting.

Looks like it's going to hurt a little.

salt
VIC, 616 posts
19 Jan 2014 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..

take it to the qld thread where there might be a slightly remote chance someone might care

heed your own advice WA people haha

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
19 Jan 2014 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stamp said...
Underoath said..

TurtleHunter said...

yes it is...

Oh well I'm **** in your opinion, I'll take it on the chin.

But I'm still having fun.

stamp
QLD, 2760 posts
19 Jan 2014 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ i never said you were **** (i think i was still learning to go upwind after 3 months kiting).
i'm just not sure why you are proudly posting a picture of a teabag gayley.

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
19 Jan 2014 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

I knew this thread would bring out the show offs from the wood work.

.oO (here's me the biggest poser when a camera is around! HA)

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
19 Jan 2014 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stamp said..

^^^ i never said you were **** (i think i was still learning to go upwind after 3 months kiting).
i'm just not sure why you are proudly posting a picture of a teabag gayley.

Stamp, lad, I'm very proud of the pic.

When the photograph was taken I didn't know what a "gayley" was. I was just out on the water having a blast (and still do)

To me its all about progression, The pic was around the time I started learning jumps.

I remember when the pic was taken, I was so wrapped, even to this day it instils nostalgic memories of my "learning days".

The photographer was also appreciative that someone really liked his work.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
20 Jan 2014 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

If the photographer has a decent zoom, then feel free to go wild. If the photographer doesn't, then you are honestly wasting your (and their) time because they are probably there to get snapshots of a friend/husband/wife and they don't give a **** about you. They probably won't take photos of you and if they do, you'll never see them.

If the guy does have a big lens, the next time you are going wild next to a photographer, try stopping to chat to him about position. Chances are your positioning/take off of tricks is wrong for that particular photo. Here are some examples of how positioning can affect a photo. Same photographer, same lens, similar riding position and 10 minutes apart. The only difference between the two was one rider had the sun behind him.

Bad positioning

Good positioning

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
19 Jan 2014 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

I still like the first pic.

(I'm not trying to go against the trend here)

TryPushHarder
QLD, 74 posts
19 Jan 2014 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

Underoath that's a cool pic man! Looks like your having a blast

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
20 Jan 2014 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Underoath said..

I still like the first pic.

(I'm not trying to go agaist the trend here)

The first picture works but you can only have a couple of them in a set of 100 photos. But could you imagine 100 photos in a set that look like that? Also doesn't work as well for tricks because you need to see the riders face if possible.

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
20 Jan 2014 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Saffer said..

If the photographer has a decent zoom, then feel free to go wild.

Oh yeah. I forgot you're the one out there with that massive zoom lens at Altona. Should have come to you, but then again if you knew who I was, you'd delete the pics no doubt!

chino
VIC, 166 posts
20 Jan 2014 1:13AM
Thumbs Up

I've noticed that the feeling you get pulling a move is infinitely better than how good that move actually looks to other people. Photos are great for improving your form but generally don't look all that great to others anyways. Dont know how many photos I've shown to non kiting friends whose reaction is always "meh."

Unless the person taking the photo is Sci Anderson, in which case your poo stancing crotch out boardies over your wetsuit failed boost off of poo-brown water will be good enough to frame.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
20 Jan 2014 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..

Select to expand quote
lukekiter said..

We never have this problem in WA , but I might be posting this in the wrong section ; )

He might have worded his original post a bit poorly but he was on the money. If it's an Aussie forum (not a WA forum that the rest of us are allowed in) then you guys need to learn to keep your local posts in the WA section - we don't need to hear about another bl@@dy break in at scarbs or woodies, or poleys & kiters having touchy feely sessions in the flags in front of the nudie beach or whatever.

Blackbeard
WA, 103 posts
20 Jan 2014 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Laurie should ban the next person to Whinge about which section to post in.....really who gives a toss!

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
20 Jan 2014 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazan said..

Saffer said..

If the photographer has a decent zoom, then feel free to go wild.

Oh yeah. I forgot you're the one out there with that massive zoom lens at Altona. Should have come to you, but then again if you knew who I was, you'd delete the pics no doubt!

Honestly couldn't give a **** who you are on the beach. If I am there taking photos, I'm looking for the best photo, not the photo of the person I like the most.

There are generally a couple of things you look for as a photographer:

1. Position relative to the sun including position of take off and landing
2. Positon of kite relative to rider (some tricks position the kite better)
3. The rider actually looking at the photographer during the trick (pictures of the back of someone's head generally look crap 90% of the time)

austin
671 posts
20 Jan 2014 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Kodak courage

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
20 Jan 2014 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Saffer said..
Honestly couldn't give a **** who you are on the beach. If I am there taking photos, I'm looking for the best photo, not the photo of the person I like the most.

Can you ever take a joke Saf?

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
20 Jan 2014 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..

dusta said..

lukekiter said..

He might have worded his original post a bit poorly but he was on the money. If it's an Aussie forum (not a WA forum that the rest of us are allowed in) then you guys need to learn to keep your local posts in the WA section - we don't need to hear about another bl@@dy break in at scarbs or woodies, or poleys & kiters having touchy feely sessions in the flags in front of the nudie beach or whatever.

went straight over your head didn't it ?

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
20 Jan 2014 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday arvo, two monkeys in action...me iPhone in one hand, beer in the other....oooooohhh ooh aaaaaaaaahahaha (monkey sounds)....

(my monkey son in the morning, starting him early.....).

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Photographer on beach = Monkeys on kites" started by Kazan