Forums > Kitesurfing General

Pec Major Tendon Rupture Anyone?

Created by Kraut > 9 months ago, 8 Jul 2014
Kraut
WA, 542 posts
8 Jul 2014 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Did anyone have this or a similar injury with or without surgery? How long did it take to be back on the water? Thanks.

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
10 Jul 2014 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Russ,

Sounds horrid?! The biggest thing is the frustration, yeah? I've been off the water from injury for over a month, and every week hoping "next week", but it keeps dragging on. We all get injured at some point.

Was speaking to a guy yesterday who simply walked into a bed end on his last day in Bali (as they were leaving), split the patella .. wham .. out for 6 months.

What can speed up though, is accepting the injury. Accepting that you can't do what you want to do, for a while, and throw yourself into what you can do, until your body is better.

Best of luck..

WA, 1255 posts
10 Jul 2014 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Best thing you can do is still come down to the beach and be "kite launcher"

Hope the surgery went well bud

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
10 Jul 2014 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Oh you mean - "Man Boob" tear ha ha

I walked into my local Gym, hot chick in the weights area... grabbed the 50kg dumbells for a set of 'Show Off' incline presses - 1 rep bang goes the pec major - an embarrassed dumbass walk of shame Exit...

About a year n a half till full power again... Good news.. However, use a seat harness to minimise movement - your back n biceps are the prime movers for kiteing

And "do not" go unhooked or it will rip completely off your humerous when you stuff up

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
10 Jul 2014 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, really appreciate your replies and help. Just out of surgery an hour ago. They operated the correct side, so all good so far. Surgeon is rather conservative and estimates 12 months to full power. Sports Doc was more optimistic with 3-6 months but from all the reading it looks like average is 6-9 months

Yeah Laurie I am already now itching to go back but have to be realistic really. And yes injuries come when least expected. I did not crash hard at all, just a few unlucky movements coming together in the wrong moment I guess. Hope you'll be back on the water soon.

Default, funny mate, but hey maybe I'll actually enjoy this new hobby, launching and landing and photo pond service, valet parking, coffee, pumping?

SaveTheWhales, Men Boobs Tear yeah that's the one, damn, hope you got the hot chicks attention anyway. Did you recover well? Quite a long rehab that was! Did you have a good physio? I was hoping I'll be able to throw at least raileys again after full recovery
Did you try and re-tear or is it just your feeling this might be too risky? I read bodybuilders return to full weight and do benchpressing again after about a year and that would be riskier I'd think? On the other hand kiting comes with more unexpected sudden movements...

Thanks.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
10 Jul 2014 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Yes it was awhile... But didn't have surgery.
Rebuilt slowly through Cellular regeneration, nutrition, self rehab. (I used to do physio etc) and weight training..

Ordinary recovery for normal activity was very quick but to stabilise and press two 50kg dumbels is another story ;)

What the surgeon says is correct for lazy people , as they are legally bound etc
The sports physio numbers will only work if he is "Not" a name badge physio !

Once it takes and you can put a little strength into it... Find which angle causes specific pain and work around it from as many angles as you can..
It will help re route the nerve firing sequence to super compensate while the New growing nerve endings learn how to coordinate the repairing and new muscle fibers

If you rehab in a gym - and you think its strong enough, you can use a cable machine with a flat tricep pushdown bar to simulate raileys with - on a light weight to start with of course

Always Remember - the smallest fibers are microscopic, so less is always more

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
10 Jul 2014 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks mate. Does make sense. I will be with SportsMed Subi to start with. So hope to be in good hands. Further down the track something closer to Rockingham would be good but of course I rather drive a bit if quality is better. Glad you recovered without surgery. From what I gathered online that is not always the case. Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Pec Major Tendon Rupture Anyone?" started by Kraut