Motorcycle Transportation of gear

Created by handydragonfly > 9 months ago, 31 Dec 2013
handydragonfly
VIC, 5 posts
31 Dec 2013 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hey peeps,

First time post and just new to kitesurfing,

having a great time, but have a question around transporting the gear on a motorbike. I am mainly in St Kilda and parking is a pain, would rather run down on my motorbike without having to stress about parking

I have looked at surfboard rack and when its windy I am not liking the look of how it will affect the handling of the bike when its windy

I am trying to search around for a backpack that will take the kite, bars/lines, pump and board..I think that it would not be an issue with a small board, but as I am new I have a 155 and its BIG...does anyone have an idea to transport or a bag that will help me get my gear to the beach without running the risk of being blown over!

Appreciate it

SibboV1
368 posts
31 Dec 2013 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Its doable. There is a guy up here that rides his bm with two kites and a twin tip. Lots of tiedowns.

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
31 Dec 2013 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

A surfboard rack on a motorbike is way safer than having it on your back, don't think you will notice it much on the rack unless u have a side wind.

rwoody
VIC, 3 posts
1 Jan 2014 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hi i would recommend you look at a new local kite bag company called 25knots who make a double kite carry bag which will fit 2 kites, 2 bars, pump and other bits into it. It also allows you to attach a twin tip. It has straps to attach your board on the back of it.

Have a look at the website: www.25knots.com.au.

I think they are doing a special and it includes a couple of compression bags. A mate of mine has the bag and they rate it

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
1 Jan 2014 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
handydragonfly said..

Hey peeps,

First time post and just new to kitesurfing,

having a great time, but have a question around transporting the gear on a motorbike. I am mainly in St Kilda and parking is a pain, would rather run down on my motorbike without having to stress about parking

I have looked at surfboard rack and when its windy I am not liking the look of how it will affect the handling of the bike when its windy

I am trying to search around for a backpack that will take the kite, bars/lines, pump and board..I think that it would not be an issue with a small board, but as I am new I have a 155 and its BIG...does anyone have an idea to transport or a bag that will help me get my gear to the beach without running the risk of being blown over!

Appreciate it

I had the surf rack and it's pretty stable. I don't have it anymore as I have foreshore parking and live across the road from the beach. If you have strong crosswinds while you are riding at 80 it's still manageable so unless you're planning to do freeway riding at 100, I'd go with the board rack.

It's far safer than on your back because the bike can't be manipulated as much when the board is affected by winds. As an example, compare a top box to a back pack on a naked bike and you get the idea.

Of you're really worried about the side rack, some brands are making boards that split in two but it would be a mission screwing it together every time.

philmb
WA, 110 posts
1 Jan 2014 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

I do this.
The orange things are bought from Bunnings. There for hanging/storing stuff from the wall. My kite and board both fit in my board bag and i use a strap to secure it. Its quick, easy and very secure.
Ive tried a few things and this is by far the best way ive found of doing it.

Haydn24
QLD, 473 posts
2 Jan 2014 12:39AM
Thumbs Up

1st and 4th poster are same person

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
3 Jan 2014 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Got a custom rack for my scooter. Works very well..
Bye Jankie

CowboyWA
WA, 55 posts
4 Jan 2014 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

I put some racks on my scooter as I am currently without a vehicle.. Seems to work well and I have seen many other scooters at the beach with the same racks.

Pretty cheap and very stable. I do get heaps of 'is perth turning into bali' looks but pretty convenient..
Think they are called hung racks.

CowboyWA
WA, 55 posts
4 Jan 2014 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haydn24 said..

1st and 4th poster are same person

Haha good spotting..

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Motorcycle Transportation of gear" started by handydragonfly