Forums > Kitesurfing General

Little pleasures in life!

Created by Puetz > 9 months ago, 1 May 2014
Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
1 May 2014 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Yet another stoke post..... how nice is it to get a little sneaky kite in after work at the end of the day,,,, one of those little pleasures in life hey

With no wind preditcted, wrong direction and the hint of a storm coming, after a long day at work you go past the beach just to have a look anyway. Hmmmm, the usual spot is no good so better go check out another spot,,,, just in case.

I got to a spot we don't usually kite from because its got alot of coral and kite ripping stuff all over it and self launching is too dangerous for the kite, fine at low tide but its high tide now! With no safe spot to self launch from I figure I can just water launch, "bloody coral bits everywhere on this beach but gee, the water is looking good", "and not much wind but looks do-able", I think.

Bugger it, I decided to give it a go anyway.

As it turned out, the 3 knot current that is usually a pain in the neck was going against the wind, and with only 9 to 11 knots with a lovely little standing wave around the rocks, I got my sneaky little session in and had a ball, even managing to catch a few of the little 2 foot standing wave,,, lovely,,, just nicely powered too and no real effort to get upwind.

I kited til the sun touches the horizon, I land the kite in the water as there was literally beach left, pack up and enjoy a beer thinking I was the luckiest dude in the world.

Yep,, one of those little pleasures in life!!!

Still grinning

Robbie

SaltySinus
VIC, 960 posts
1 May 2014 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

I'd question how long your day at work is if you're able to get some kiting in after work before it's dark ;-)

But yeah, it's awesome, isn't it. I cycle past 'kite beach' in Vic every day, so I'm resolved that next year, I'll cycle to and from work with my kite gear on the off chance the wind is up on the way home.

Glad you're getting out there...

Gorgo
VIC, 4909 posts
1 May 2014 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

During daylight saving it's easy to kite every night after work. There's heaps of daylight and usually the sea breeze kicks in.

During autumn/winter/spring it's more easier to have morning sessions. Get to the beach by 6:30, kite for an hour, pack up and be at work by 9:00. If your parking is sorted you can roll up at 10:00 and still get a full day's work in.

There's a crew of windsurfers who ride at Green Point every windy morning.

I have only done one morning session. The weather was a bit grotty and it's a bit depressing packing up wet gear and grovelling around the used condoms at Green Point.

It's much nicer to just take a day off when you get those gorgeous winter northerly days, head down the coast for an early surf, breakfast or coffee at Rye or Rosebud, then hit the bay for a beautiful, sunny, cold weather cruise.

Rails
QLD, 1370 posts
1 May 2014 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Tuesday after work (4 pm) I met up with a mate and did the 1 k - 20 min low tide walk out.
Flew upwind in 1 inch deep water for another 15 mins until reaching the low tide knee deep flat water stretch reaching for miles north and south. Had an awesome time while the sun set (first really smooth front roll down-loop transition with a grab) before walking back in the last of the evening glow and reaching the car park in the last of the wind to crack a beer - living the central Queensland dream

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
1 May 2014 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gorgo said...
There's a crew of windsurfers who ride at Green Point every windy morning.

.... and grovelling around the used condoms at Green Point.

Now you know what they get up to when its not windy

nigelw2
VIC, 237 posts
1 May 2014 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Tuesday in Melbourne was filthy, poured rain, wind was all over the shop, no much hope of a good kite.
After a failed attempt at a 7am start (no wind) three mates and I scored an awesome high wind down winder!!
Living the Melbourne winter dream
Stoked.

Plummet
4862 posts
1 May 2014 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Stoke is all ways good.

Milk that stoke as much as you can!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
1 May 2014 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

My wife was gonna post a reply to this topic

orynoco
QLD, 271 posts
1 May 2014 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Plummet, that's an epic little story. Cheers.

Plummet
4862 posts
2 May 2014 5:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
orynoco said..

Ok fark it. I'll share some alternative stoke!.

This was me Tuesday night.

Now that's pretty cool. Literally.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
2 May 2014 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..
orynoco said..

Ok fark it. I'll share some alternative stoke!.This was me Tuesday night.

Now that's pretty cool. Literally.

... geezus,,,, I start complaining like a bitch when it gets below 30 degress, let alone what looks like minus 25 billion degrees,,,, you wouldn't hear the end of it from me!!!!!

Delta
28 posts
2 May 2014 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Agree nothing like an early morning session in Winter with the strong cold Northerlies. Come out of water frozen but absolutely stoked, coffee on the way to work and just have a contented smile on your face the rest of the day.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Little pleasures in life!" started by Puetz