Forums > Kitesurfing General

Lightning experience ?

Created by munro > 9 months ago, 15 Aug 2011
munro
WA, 28 posts
15 Aug 2011 4:49AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone been out in lightning or had there kite struck ? does it hurt much ?

GreenGriff
SA, 137 posts
15 Aug 2011 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

think the guys name was Ben franklin is the only one i know of

poor relative
WA, 9084 posts
15 Aug 2011 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Never lightening, however i did stick my wet finger in a plug socket once.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
15 Aug 2011 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

I have been hit by static discharge a stack of times kiting, and it goes from no pain (you hear it but don't feel it) to hurting quite a lot.

The discharge sounds like two dry rocks hitting together when you land jumps, and it sometimes straightens your legs out.

If that happens it's time to go in...

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
15 Aug 2011 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

You won't get many replies to this thread, unfortunately being struck by lightening (kite or otherwise) is generally terminal.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
15 Aug 2011 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Static discharge scares the crap out of me. It's only happened when i've been beach boosting though and landing with feet directly onto the sand

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
15 Aug 2011 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

... dude, here in the tropics it can be a real problem. During our wet season (summer time) we get alot of storms and usually the storms have alot of static in front of them. When you jump, you either get a jolt that feels like a set of pins hit your fingers, or you get the discharge that causes a sound like crimpling chip packet coming from the board as it hits the water.

I had it one time that upon landing the shock made my front hand jolt off the bar and nearly smacked the kite right into some rocks. It all depends on your make up such as hydration level and then how much hang you get. Then there is how close to the storms you dare to kite, luckily we rarely ever get the storms that really get over 30 knots, so a few of us push it and therefore the static charges and the jolts.

It does hurt but some times you just gotta push through the pain to get to the good stuff. When it gets bad, even chop hops is enough time for the static to charge up your kite, you get a hit, then you start to flinch every time you wind up for a big one. Still my favorite time to kite mind you!!

cheers,

Robbie

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Lightning experience ?" started by munro