Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kiting on and around Low Isles - FNQ

Created by ashkiter > 9 months ago, 2 Jul 2012
ashkiter
QLD, 431 posts
2 Jul 2012 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Heading out to Low Isles this weekend and was wondering which side is Good to Kite?? or should I leave my gear at home due to all the Great Barrier Reef Rules etc....

Delta
28 posts
3 Jul 2012 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Check with Brett at Windswell, he'll know.

Gdog
QLD, 83 posts
3 Jul 2012 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

+1 Check with Bretto, he has done the leg work with GBRMPA to allow kiteing in the Marine park. Follow his advice and keep it sweet for all. Good Luck.

Nuking
NSW, 83 posts
3 Jul 2012 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

I think Brett might have a permit to kite allow kiting there. Please check with him before going. Brett does a great trip combined with some SUP around the mangroves. This place is very tide dependent also and requires boat assistance. This Saturday you probably only have a window of 10am to 3pm before the tide is out and you are on dry reef.

ashkiter
QLD, 431 posts
4 Jul 2012 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Nuking said...

I think Brett might have a permit to kite allow kiting there. Please check with him before going. Brett does a great trip combined with some SUP around the mangroves. This place is very tide dependent also and requires boat assistance. This Saturday you probably only have a window of 10am to 3pm before the tide is out and you are on dry reef.

Ooo Permit hey (that didnt cross my mind) - I am waiting for brett to give me a call back - have been in email communication.

Perfect time for tides as ill be on Low Isles form 10am till 3pm (If I am aloud to kite then it was ment to be as the wind looks the goods )

mywisdom
WA, 258 posts
4 Jul 2012 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Port Douglas is going off atm, why travel off shore? And also that tidal information is contradictory to what Im witnessing over here atm, low tide seems to be the middle of the day? What gives

mywisdom
WA, 258 posts
4 Jul 2012 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Aah I see now, it changes greatly from day to day. Not use to this "tide" phenomenon :\

ashkiter
QLD, 431 posts
4 Jul 2012 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

mywisdom said...

Port Douglas is going off atm, why travel off shore? And also that tidal information is contradictory to what Im witnessing over here atm, low tide seems to be the middle of the day? What gives

Heading to Low Isles on a freebee so not costing a thing - sorry to rub that in

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiting on and around Low Isles - FNQ" started by ashkiter