Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kiting Injuries. What have you experienced?

Created by keiranchiro > 9 months ago, 31 Jan 2014
keiranchiro
NSW, 12 posts
31 Jan 2014 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

As a chiropractor and keen novice kiteboarder I have been interested for some time in finding out what sort of injuries kiteboarders experience.

Injuries from misadventure and from regular kiting.

My interest is to get some feedback both on the injuries sustained by misadventure (as a learner getting dragged down the beach, as an experienced kiter bailing a lofty jump) but also from the typical load and strain from kiting without incident.

Do you find some gear or styles of kiting effects you more than others?

For instance, I find if I use my CrazyFly Bulldozer twintip which has a fairly square outline and little rocker that I develop lateral hip pain and iliotibial band problems but not so if I use my North XRide which is only mnarginally smaller but with a lot more rocker, flex and a more shaped outline.

What helps?

What have you done that helps?
Have you changed your technique or stance to avoid developing problems?
Have you selected different gear or tuned it differently?

Are there stretches or exercises you have found that have been most useful to you?

Has Kiting helped you with a spinal or other problem?
Previous forum threads (www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/15m-chiropractor/?SearchTerms=chiropractic) have highlighted how some people find kiting helpful for spinal problems.
For instance,I recently had some surfing lessons with my son and during the warm up my foot fell into a hole in the sand. The jolt re-aggravated an old rib injury I carry which was absolutely murderous for the next two days until a fantastic NorEaster blew in and I had a 3 hour kiting session, thereafter my rib problem felt about 90% better.

Has anyone else had a similar occurrence? What sort of things have been helped by a kiting session?

I'm looking forward to what people have to say!

Keiran

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
31 Jan 2014 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

currently recovering from a mild tear of a couple of ligaments in my left ankle from a bad landing on my TT on new years day

stuntnaz
NSW, 540 posts
31 Jan 2014 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Lost my board in the air hit a sand bank

eibwen
WA, 116 posts
31 Jan 2014 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Bimalleolar fracture, ankle. 6-7 months.

Grade 3 tear of the Anterior tibiofibular ligament, again same ankle, this was after given all clear to go kiting again think the tendons just weren't strong enough yet :D caught toe side edge and had foot ripped in a downwards direction fast and quick causing it to rupture.

Grade 1/2 tear lower abdominals from jumping again I put it down to getting weak from the broken ankle.

Just need to hit the gym harder :D been hard to get back into the rhythm after being off for so long but with all these recent body fails I have started to smash the gym to get some conditioning back.

lostatsea
WA, 147 posts
31 Jan 2014 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Cracked 3 ribs, my sternum and had a couple twigs implanted in shoulder and back (surgically removed), copped a triple gust boosting, meanwhile in air went downwind a couple hundred metres and hit terra firma but don't remember that part of it, this was back before quick releases were invented, just lucky to have a mate around

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
1 Feb 2014 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

My only major injury so far was a ruptured eardrum. Big jump, gust yanked kite sideways when coming out from behind sea wall, hit the water hard and fast on my side. Was wearing a Gath helmet at the time. The eardrum regrew in about 5 weeks.

Latest injury was not kiting - fell off a ladder due to complacency and fractured two transverse processes (back), which has stopped me kiting for a while, grrr ..... Hope to be back on the water soon.

keiranchiro
NSW, 12 posts
2 Feb 2014 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks dusta, stuntnaz, eibwen, lostatsea and Peterc150 for your responses. I love the bionicle calcaneus stuntnaz! I'm only really just getting into jumping now. It sounds like there is a whole new world of injuries to be prepared for.

I noticed that no one mentioned anything that became sore or other problems that came on after a normal session. Is that your usual experience?

I had some spectacular wipe outs earlier on and at the time it always felt like something should have been hurt but then you get your bearings again and discover that the only lingering problem is a badly bruised ego and a niggling irritation from your friends constantly reliving the moment for you.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
2 Feb 2014 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Stood on a kids toy

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
2 Feb 2014 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Whiplash, looping the wrong way onto a beach. Still suffering from it. Damn thing. Cutting all my session my half easily. But hey I'm still out there, so can't complain.

jackforbes
WA, 530 posts
2 Feb 2014 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi mate,

To answer the question about kiting helping other problems -

- Torn labrum from mountain biking, I found kiting was the best strengthening exercise for my shoulder and supporting muscles without causing any issues (which seems counterintuitive to me, but it is basically 90% now without surgery, so I'm sticking with it!)

- Splintered disk from snowboarding, once it was strong enough the kiting worked a dream (strapless surfboard, no jumping which I doubt would do much for it). Thats 100% now.

Leigh84
VIC, 14 posts
2 Feb 2014 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Ligaments in my lower back landing in shallow water still on the recovery done a week ago. Been to a chiro twice this week next session tue , the first time I went the next day it was worse don't know if it was jus coincidence or not it doesn't seem as bad now though

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
2 Feb 2014 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

I sometimes get lower back pain in the lumbar/sacroiliac joint region and get physio treatment for it. I find the harness supports the back well and seems to help to reduce the pain rather than make it worse (most of the time).

I have two fractured lateral processes (small ribs of lumbar verterbrae) from a ladder fall on 6 January (yes, ladders are VERY dangerous) but I haven't tried kiting yet. Pressure from the harness is likely to aggravate this injury so I am waiting for it to heal.

I have also had tennis elbow type afflictions in both elbows at different times after many sustained sessions. It has settled down for now.

I have has some very hard landings from jumps gone wrong (misdirected kite) but I think my impact vest has prevented me breaking any ribs.

stuntnaz
NSW, 540 posts
2 Feb 2014 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said...

Stood on a kids toy

At the time I wished I steped on a kids toy

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
3 Feb 2014 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Practicing some new tricks yesterday foot came out of binding and caught my shin against the edge on landing?.nice looking gash on my shin and a pinched nerve somewhere up around my shoulder for my trouble?.

sebol
WA, 753 posts
3 Feb 2014 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Kiteloops = ribs

magicseal
25 posts
4 Feb 2014 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

Fin gash from race board

Gorgo
VIC, 4917 posts
4 Feb 2014 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Torn pilatus tendon (minor calf muscle) from loading up the back leg too hard riding toe side. I was hitting the same peak time and time again and cranking hard to get back upwind to drop into the wave. I turned onto toe side to head back into the wave and it felt like I had the mother of all cramps, only all the usual methods of fixing a cramp did not work. Very painful and crippling while recovering but healed quickly. Still twinges.

Torn hamstring. Blasting along at speed on the Sector 60. Back foot popped out of the strap and leg dug into the water. Instant stop at that end. Other foot stayed in the front strap and the board kept going. I ended up in a full ballerina splits with the front leg wedge flat along the board. Healed up in two weeks with no after effects. The most scary thing is I know of two men who have had similar incidents and ended up with a broken pelvis. I was very pleased to only have torn a hammy.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
4 Feb 2014 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

... kitelooped myself into wall'd up wave and cracked ribs,,, couldn't sleep on my left side for nearly a year, cringed every time I had to sneeze or laugh!

Lessons learned, don't kiteloop a Naish X4 kite, impact vest may have helped, padding after the fact doesn't help. Ahh the good old days!

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
4 Feb 2014 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

magicseal that is one war wound to be proud of 2 thumbs up!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiting Injuries. What have you experienced?" started by keiranchiro