Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kites for smallies - catalyst?

Created by wishy > 9 months ago, 28 Dec 2014
wishy
WA, 1501 posts
28 Dec 2014 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
I'm considering the 6m catalyst for a 56kg 164cm rider.
She's annoyed that it's too scary on her 7m switchblade when it gets up over 20 knots, how different would the 6m cat be?
Do you reckon she'd need 25++ to get the 4m anywhere near going?

Are the catalysts vastly different to 2 years ago? I remember them being awesome and friendly when I demoed one.

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
28 Dec 2014 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

The last models I've tried were 2012 in all sizes, I'm pretty sure they've gotten more powerful since then. I remember taking the 4m and 6m in a NW front 40 to 55 knots with NickT. We first tried the 4m but not enough! (85-90kg guys) 6m was sweet and ended up being a fun session.

They are still the least powerful kites I've tried so best suited for lighter riders for sure. I reckon a 6m would be great for 20-30 knots on a 55kg rider. I reckon the 4m would kick in in 28 knots +. Very beginner friendly as usual. Hope this helps

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
28 Dec 2014 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

I think it was 2013 when they changed the shape and made the kite boostier and not such a beginners kite. That being said they are still the easiest kite for smallies.
I would still go the 6m unless its just for a high wind kite to go with the switchy.

Simsurf
WA, 237 posts
28 Dec 2014 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Picked up 7 and 9m 2015's the other day. Am going to share them with my daughter who is 65kg and 5'11 ( I also have a 2013 Cat and a Zephyr) Flew the 9 yesterday in marginal gusty conditions just to give it a run. Very surprised at the nimbleness of the kite. Very responsive but not brutal, smooth power and even some small boosts were done with ease, which is saying a bit for my level of ability. Highly recommend them. Looking forward to really giving it a run this arvo.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
28 Dec 2014 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

set a local up with a 5mtr fuse, slower reaction than a reo or cat, very stable, basically a 4 line rebel, on cabrinahas they do a toned down chicks version of the switchblades platform, siren from memory worth a look as she already has the bar

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kites for smallies - catalyst?" started by wishy