Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kite quiver - One brand or mixed ?

Created by Surfer62 > 9 months ago, 20 Aug 2012
Surfer62
1357 posts
20 Aug 2012 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Had a discussion on weekend re kite quivers, some have all one brand/maker while some have a mixed quiver, pros and cons ?

My current quiver is 5 kites, 4 brands, 4 sizes (7-17m), 2009-2011.

An analogy raised was - If you had a girlfriend/partner quiver, would they all be from one family or a bit of variety ?

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
20 Aug 2012 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

If you're happy with your gear it doesn't matter what the mix of brands is.

It makes sense to ensure there is some compatibility so you can swap at least the bar and pump around. The only thing worse than breaking or forgetting something and not having a spare would be having a spare that you can't use.

As for girlfriends, sisters? mother-daughter? brother-sister?

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
20 Aug 2012 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Me thinks you need to get back on ya medication

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
20 Aug 2012 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Surfer62 said...

Had a discussion on weekend re kite quivers, some have all one brand/maker while some have a mixed quiver, pros and cons ?

An analogy raised was - If you had a girlfriend/partner quiver, would they all be from one family or a bit of variety ?

I prefer one brand for bar interchangeability (practical reason). If a bar/line breaks, it doesn't end your session. It also means you're used to one safety, one way of relaunching etc.

That said, I've just moved from 3 kites and one board to 2 kites and 2 boards which I believe will cover majority of conditions in Vic unless you start talking sub 12 knots.

mazdon
1196 posts
20 Aug 2012 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

what?! only 2 boards? something has gone wrong there!

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
20 Aug 2012 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

mazdon said...

what?! only 2 boards? something has gone wrong there!

Yeah. We have our baby number due in jan or it would be a 4 kite, 4 board combo.

Surfer62
1357 posts
20 Aug 2012 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Saffer said...

Surfer62 said...

I prefer one brand for bar interchangeability (practical reason). If a bar/line breaks, it doesn't end your session. It also means you're used to one safety, one way of relaunching etc.

That said, I've just moved from 3 kites and one board to 2 kites and 2 boards which I believe will cover majority of conditions in Vic unless you start talking sub 12 knots.

I use one quality bar ( so ive got a couple of as new spare bars ) for three kites (9,12,17) a benefit of all being four line bridled kites, your right no real need for 5 kites but why not, I actually use two kites (9,12) 95% of the time.

Surfer62
1357 posts
20 Aug 2012 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

high as a kite said...

Me thinks you need to get back on ya medication

You stole my meds in bali, you grumpy old man

greggyd
TAS, 183 posts
20 Aug 2012 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

I vote same brand. 9 and 13 combo, Suits me I've never thought of getting a bigger one as I'll find something else more thrilling if it's not 13+ knots. I have only a handful of time gone, **** that's too windy for me.

Back On topic, same brand my vote but know that some people like to ride different styles for wind speeds. May require different kite shape kite, but the same brands for the reasons mentioned by everyone else would be ideal

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
20 Aug 2012 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Talk to puertz on this matter I like his justification for mixed quivers. But they have to make sense.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
20 Aug 2012 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Surfer62 said...
I use one quality bar ( so ive got a couple of as new spare bars ) for three kites (9,12,17) a benefit of all being four line bridled kites, your right no real need for 5 kites but why not, I actually use two kites (9,12) 95% of the time.

I guess the issue is ensuring that one bar is compatible with all your kites which is not always the case. For example, mixing a North Rebel and a Cabrinha Switchblade doesn't allow this option. Also, all four line kites will not necessarily be able to use the same bar (Cabrinha bar won't work on most 4 line kites).

BurkeyBoy
QLD, 549 posts
21 Aug 2012 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

If possible, I like to stick to the one brand. Not from an interchangable gear point of view, but more how the kite flys. I like how my bandits fly, so why fly something different? Even though I mainly fly bandits, the bar off a B2 can't be flown with a B3, though I know this is unusual and personally think F-One stuffed up a bit there. I have an 8, 10 and 12 in bandits and my wife has a 9 Ozone Edge. I've just picked up a 5m Naish charger to teach the kids on, but don't expect to get out on it myself.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
21 Aug 2012 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

... from what I can work out, designers take a fair bit of time to get the kites flying exactly how they want it too and then to keep the pedigree or feel right through the sizes with tweaks to suit the biggest/smallest kites ie you don't want a 7m too fast or 17m too slow. So if you get a quiver of one brand, they all will feel/fly the same no matter what size it is. Added to that, you can use one bar across your whole quiver and get exactly performances as the designer intended. I surpose that if your not happy with the over all package feel of the kite then changing kites will be necessary for different sizes.

It takes me ages to get the complete 'feel' of a kite, to learn all the nuances where it becomes one with you and I figure if you chop and change you don't learn those nuances. Mind you, by the time I think I've got it all figured out the kites usually worn out!

For me personally, I share my quiver with my family. I use the biggest with the missus on the medium size and son on the smallest and as wind picks up we shift along (and the little one said, roll over,,,,, roll over). Only problem is the son is getting big now and is using same sizes as the missus so the quiver has to get bigger ($$$$$).

Anyway... cheers for now,

Robbie

1likeBJ
WA, 152 posts
21 Aug 2012 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

I have always had a mixed bag quiver. I like different things from different size kites - light wind kite needs to pull like a train and unhook well, medium kite needs to unhook awesome as well as loop, high wind kite needs to have more range but still unhook OK at it's bottom end and loop with maybe a bit less pull than the medium.

I know there are some brands or even models that would probably pass all of the above but I also like flying different kites for a bit of variety. I can jury rig any of my kites with another bar if I have an issue (all run 5th line, active or not).

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
21 Aug 2012 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

I think there is someone to be said for the design of the kite suiting certain sizes. Most kites designs have a sweet spot or wind range to be more precise where the flying characteristics match the wind and conditions you are in. For instance I'd go a delta shape in the lighter wind range but not in higher winds. They don't like being in their top third. Some hybrids have countered that. It the DNA still holds reasonable true.

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
21 Aug 2012 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

3m 2006 Air Rush Trainer
4m 1995, 4 line 3 strut Gastra
6m 2010 Switchblade
8m 2011 New Alibi
9m 2010 Fuel (ripped into a 5m and a 4m)
9m 2011 Fuel
11m 2011 New Alibi

Im from Perth, if you need a bigger kite than an 11m, dont bother.

craggers
WA, 475 posts
21 Aug 2012 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Sooooooo Saffer... whats this about lines breaking?? wouldnt be the North 5th line would it? he he he

so... is this how it works? one kid is worth how much kite gear?

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
21 Aug 2012 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

craggers said...

Sooooooo Saffer... whats this about lines breaking?? wouldnt be the North 5th line would it? he he he

so... is this how it works? one kid is worth how much kite gear?

No line breaks yet. Its precautionary but I have had lines break in the past, once up in far north queensland on my Takoon where I had no access to spare gear. Back up bar saved me.

The cost per kid in the first year is about $20K. The cost in the second year is about $15K for childcare alone without covering nappies, clothes etc. You do the maths and work out how much kite gear that is It is worth every cent though (I'm referring to the kid, not the kite although the kite is probably worth it too)

That said, I still managed to buy 3 x 2012 north kites, a 2012 north board, a 2012 mystic wetsuit, a new 2012 harness and a new yamaha XJ6N since the birth of my daughter so its not all bad.

Now, aside from the money when we start to talk about how much kiting you get done after the birth of a child and that may explain why my 5th line hasn't gone yet

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kite quiver - One brand or mixed ?" started by Surfer62