Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kite Surfing Lessons in The Pond at Safety Bay

Created by Jaimee > 9 months ago, 21 Oct 2016
Jaimee
WA, 2 posts
21 Oct 2016 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hiiii kite surfers!!

After admiring the wonderful kite surfers doing big jumps in The Pond at Safety Bay last summer, I’ve finally mustered the courage and I’m going to do kite surfing this summer!!!

I talked to some boys there last summer and they said I should get some lessons. Its probably a good idea as I don’t have any kite surfer friends yet to teach me!

I watched the instructors teaching in The Pond last summer and I want to learn in there too because it’s the best spot and hopefully no sharks come in there!!

So what’s the best school to learn kite surfing with in The Pond at Safety Bay

How many lessons does it normally take to do jumps I can surf a little so I’m not too clumsy!!

Nathe
WA, 433 posts
21 Oct 2016 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Don't worry about lessons just pump up and give it a crack. The pond is the best spot for beginners and body dragging. The local guys love helping out newbies

Jaimee
WA, 2 posts
21 Oct 2016 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Nathe! Thanks very much for the reply!

I'm so happy to hear you say that its the best spot for it and everyone is helpful I don't have any equipment yet so wanting to learn by the school instructors in there. I can't wait to be out there with everyone!!

Do you know which school is the best one to be taught there

Bronnieren
WA, 89 posts
21 Oct 2016 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hahah Nathe! Jaimee, the above post is sarcastic! Avoid the pond!!! Its best left to the experienced kiters. Its a very small spot that gets very crowded, pros train there in summer and there is a rotation system that they follow, its definitely only suitable for experienced kiters. It appears deceptively safe to new kiters because its small and shallow, but in fact its not safe because the wind is effectively onshore, and you can easily end up on land and in trees before you know it. However, just around the corner near Penguin Island is the bestest spot for newbies...Shoalwater Marine park near Pengos cafe! This beach is widely considered to be the best place in Perth to learn. The wind is cross-onshore in the seabreeze (best direction to learn in), with lots of space. There is a great school that teaches right there, the instructors are super lovely as well :) Definitely get lessons from qualified instructors or you can end up in hospital with spinal injuries, broken bones, missing fingers etc. Check out WestOz Kiteboarding :)

Sabs
WA, 25 posts
21 Oct 2016 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hahahah, although I had my lessons in the Pond about 4 years ago... was a sweet spot to learn. :)

But Pengos is definitely one of my fave spots as well.... and WestOz Kiteboarding are brilliant. Cannot recommend them enough.

Jhana
WA, 120 posts
21 Oct 2016 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bronnieren said..
Hahah Nathe! Jaimee, the above post is sarcastic! Avoid the pond!!! Its best left to the experienced kiters. Its a very small spot that gets very crowded, pros train there in summer and there is a rotation system that they follow, its definitely only suitable for experienced kiters. It appears deceptively safe to new kiters because its small and shallow, but in fact its not safe because the wind is effectively onshore, and you can easily end up on land and in trees before you know it. However, just around the corner near Penguin Island is the bestest spot for newbies...Shoalwater Marine park near Pengos cafe! This beach is widely considered to be the best place in Perth to learn. The wind is cross-onshore in the seabreeze (best direction to learn in), with lots of space. There is a great school that teaches right there, the instructors are super lovely as well :) Definitely get lessons from qualified instructors or you can end up in hospital with spinal injuries, broken bones, missing fingers etc. Check out WestOz Kiteboarding :)

Select to expand quote
Sabs said..
Hahahah, although I had my lessons in the Pond about 4 years ago... was a sweet spot to learn. :)

But Pengos is definitely one of my fave spots as well.... and WestOz Kiteboarding are brilliant. Cannot recommend them enough.

Yes I agree West Oz have a great reputation.

I am worried about sharks seal island is just nearby.

A local said recently Fisheries saw a seal with a big bite out of it on an island beach.

Can anyone comment on the prevalence of sharks at Shoalwater Bay outside the Pengos café?

Nathe
WA, 433 posts
21 Oct 2016 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

On a serious note stay out of the puddle , it's not for beginners. Most of the people who kite their have a massive ego, think they rip and own the joint. West oz are the best around local and Jase/ Sonya are awesome people who look after the local crew , real professional lessons as well. Shoalwater is suited for learning because the wind blows semi cross shore so you can't get into to much trouble. If your worried about sharks .. stay out of the water. Welcome to the sport, I hope you enjoy it.

Kyter
WA, 17 posts
21 Oct 2016 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Westoz are great for lessons at Shoalwater near Pengos. They took the price of the lessons off of the gear I bought, and they can do gear/lessons packages also I believe, or just use their kite school gear. Inside of the sandbar at the pond is chaos in summer and no good for lessons. The outside of the sandbar is ok but a bit straight onshore and still busy and can be hit or miss.

CharliesDad
WA, 24 posts
21 Oct 2016 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Jaimee

i would also recommend learning at Shoalwater. I learnt at Woodman Point and struggled with balancing the kite, board and getting knocked around by waves (albeit small). If you can get flatwater such as Shoalwater it will make your life easier and you will progress a lot faster. I have also found the people down there really friendly.

It it does get a bit crowded with a good sea breeze but most people are considerate and stay clear of people learning. Also found plenty of people happy to give you a hand once you have finished your lessons and are progressing on your own.

best of luck.......

Sean

timmybuddhadude
WA, 738 posts
21 Oct 2016 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

I am worried about sharks seal island is just nearby.

A local said recently Fisheries saw a seal with a big bite out of it on an island beach.

Can anyone comment on the prevalence of sharks at Shoalwater Bay outside the Pengos café?

None
Done it hundreds of times never seen one..

Except this...

But I was too busy doing this.....

Maybe round the back of pengos or seal or the sound or port kennedy or mandurah...
Just make surenyour gear is safe and dont fall off
Where u learn is safe

ThePhil
WA, 1315 posts
25 Oct 2016 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

The sandbar on the other side of The Pond is considered to best the best spot in the world for learning to kite, much better than the deepwater at Shoalwater I recommend www.wasurf.com.au, the original and best.

Rob83
WA, 129 posts
26 Oct 2016 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Just ask the locals if u can have a shot with their gear normally more than happy to get a new person in the sport

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kite Surfing Lessons in The Pond at Safety Bay" started by Jaimee