Forums > Kitesurfing General

Keahi de Aboitiz - Kind of Normal (video)

Created by Keahi > 9 months ago, 26 Nov 2016
Keahi
QLD, 851 posts
26 Nov 2016 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

Not sure how many of you were aware, but 2016 ended up being a pretty tough year for me. It started off great with my wave of the winter nomination, but not long after, I dislocated my shoulder pretty bad and needed to get surgery on it which put me out of the water for a good 6 months.

While I was injured and Anders was in town, we thought it would be a good idea to sit down, go through some old footage and see what we could make of it. This clip is the end result. For a bit of a backstory of where I came from and how my career got started, check it out! I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone who supported me to get me to where I am today. So stoked to be able to call this my career!

Also happy to report the shoulder is almost back to normal and I'm back doing what I love!

Keahi

Dolphins
60 posts
26 Nov 2016 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Good on ya mate enjoy every moment.

Zebra80
NSW, 352 posts
26 Nov 2016 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Great Video water man lengend

LostinSpace
QLD, 388 posts
27 Nov 2016 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for sharing Keahi. Good work on the Vid to you and Anders, I thoroughly enjoyed watching. Your one of the great ambassador to our sport and an inspiration to many IMO

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
27 Nov 2016 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Well done. Great footage and editing. Up there with some of the best kiting stuff produced

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
27 Nov 2016 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

... love it!

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
27 Nov 2016 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Incredible talent....really special. Best of luck in your career and hope you keep the injuries down.

GMK-KiteSurf
NSW, 128 posts
27 Nov 2016 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Arguably the Best KiteSurfer Australia has ever produced. And a Great SUP rider. And a Great Surfer short/longboard.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
27 Nov 2016 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Keahi, great to hear that you have almost healed - how did you get injured in the first place mate?
Oh & keep the awesome clips coming

Keahi
QLD, 851 posts
28 Nov 2016 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Stoked everyone liked the video. Thanks guys!

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..
Hi Keahi, great to hear that you have almost healed - how did you get injured in the first place mate?
Oh & keep the awesome clips coming

Basically I dislocated it surfing back in February trying to bottom turn around a section on a 8 ft double up. Got ankle tapped and fell with my arm above my head and it dislocated. Out for 45 minutes before it got put back into place at a medical center. Not a fun experience at all. Slightly torn labrum which meant surgery was the best option to avoid future dislocations. Still a little stiff, but the strength is back and its feeling pretty good now. Stoked to be back on the water again!

dazed321
WA, 160 posts
30 Nov 2016 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Great video!!!!!!!!

bspot68
QLD, 166 posts
1 Dec 2016 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

hey Keahi,

thats a great insight as to how you got to the top, stoked your back on the water.

linguini
WA, 18 posts
1 Dec 2016 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

That was a sic vid!! Great stuff enjoyed watching it

riddim1
QLD, 147 posts
2 Dec 2016 12:59AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome vid Keahi! It's always interesting to hear about someone's background and motivations. I've always loved seeing you ride as you have the most natural and effortless style, huge factors in your world titles I'm sure. I have to say that my only claim to fame was being taught by your old man back in the earlier days of the sport. Kudos to you mate and hope you're back to 100% fitness in no time at all.

cheers

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
2 Dec 2016 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

Keahi just watched your vid with my 8yr old son (who has been in surf comps since 6 and is kiting upwind now).

He is totally inspired by what he watched, especially regarding what can be done on a surfboard and a kite.

Thanks man

eppo

AJ Events
WA, 111 posts
2 Dec 2016 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome video! STOKED!

mazdon
1196 posts
2 Dec 2016 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said...
Keahi just watched your vid with my 8yr old son (who has been in surf comps since 6 and is kiting upwind now).

He is totally inspired by what he watched, especially regarding what can be done on a surfboard and a kite.

Thanks man

eppo

All part of your semi-evil plan to have your kids tell their mum that they want to live in geraldton or Dongara eppo?

Woops, +1 great little vid
Loved the backdoor in the barrel shots. Fair bit more consequence there than lakey pipe!!!

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
2 Dec 2016 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Such a good vid

HawaiianMass
WA, 22 posts
3 Dec 2016 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for sharing and good luck for the coming year! Aloha

markus86
QLD, 41 posts
3 Dec 2016 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

sick edit man, Ill be thinking of you out there ripping when I'm stuck in the office on a Monday morning.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Keahi de Aboitiz - Kind of Normal (video)" started by Keahi