Forums > Kitesurfing General

It comes in threes

Created by dafish > 9 months ago, 8 May 2014
dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
8 May 2014 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Well they do say things come in threes. Yesterday I went to hit a reef that's about a mile out from the nearest launch zone. Was on my own, but wind looked good and I could see some great right handers peeling down the line. Pump up the kite, lay out my lines, get ready for self launch (16 to 20 knots) go to check my safety....uh oh..broken bunjee on the release. Run back to my van and get my spare bar. Layout lines again. Go to move my kite into position, air has gone down. The leak that I thought I fixed didn't hold. Run back to my van and get my 10.5 and do it all over. No big deal. I walk the beach section which is really narrow removing seaweed stick etc. I think I am all good. Pull the kite into the wind and get it ready to go, and as I lift off one outside line catches on something in the sand that I missed. Kite arcs across the window and into a shee oak. There, I have finally put a kite into a tree :( . Luckily I can climb the tree where I deflate the kite and remove the lines. Pull the kite out and amazingly not one single little pin hole or tear. Most people would have packed up and got the ****s....and I nearly did. But I haven't had any good waves and wind in two weeks so I was hungry. Pumped up and did it all again and got out.
It took half an hour to tack out to the spot, and just as I hit the lineup a dolphin flies out of the water toward me. Put a huge smile on my face. Waves were awesome. Ten minutes after I got there a buddy of mine shows up (he had driven 45 minutes on the chance that it might be good and is about the only guy who will hit with me in the winter) We shared waves til the sun was starting to go down. Ended up being an awesome session. Some days you just have to call it a day, others you just have to persevere. This one payed off.

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
8 May 2014 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

haha nice one bud.happy ending... for a minute I thought the dolphin was going to hit your board and snap it

peterbacon
NSW, 41 posts
8 May 2014 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

and it was a bloody fun session in the end YEW!

8 May 2014 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Great story of persistence and determination!! I too thought that the dolphin was going to attack you in some way!
I've also had a few sessions like that!

Tractorguy
TAS, 542 posts
8 May 2014 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..

Well they do say things come in threes. Yesterday I went to hit a reef that's about a mile out from the nearest launch zone. Was on my own, but wind looked good and I could see some great right handers peeling down the line. Pump up the kite, lay out my lines, get ready for self launch (16 to 20 knots) go to check my safety....uh oh..broken bunjee on the release. Run back to my van and get my spare bar. Layout lines again. Go to move my kite into position, air has gone down. The leak that I thought I fixed didn't hold. Run back to my van and get my 10.5 and do it all over. No big deal. I walk the beach section which is really narrow removing seaweed stick etc. I think I am all good. Pull the kite into the wind and get it ready to go, and as I lift off one outside line catches on something in the sand that I missed. Kite arcs across the window and into a shee oak. There, I have finally put a kite into a tree :( . Luckily I can climb the tree where I deflate the kite and remove the lines. Pull the kite out and amazingly not one single little pin hole or tear. Most people would have packed up and got the ****s....and I nearly did. But I haven't had any good waves and wind in two weeks so I was hungry. Pumped up and did it all again and got out.
It took half an hour to tack out to the spot, and just as I hit the lineup a dolphin flies out of the water toward me. Put a huge smile on my face. Waves were awesome. Ten minutes after I got there a buddy of mine shows up (he had driven 45 minutes on the chance that it might be good and is about the only guy who will hit with me in the winter) We shared waves til the sun was starting to go down. Ended up being an awesome session. Some days you just have to call it a day, others you just have to persevere. This one payed off.

luv ya determination

Spitfire
WA, 394 posts
9 May 2014 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Some people might say that it was a bad omen and the universe was telling you something! Good on you for not giving up and cool story!

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
10 May 2014 1:23AM
Thumbs Up

I was hoping, your not going to say

the board broke....

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
10 May 2014 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

No Ray, that board is still awesome. I have however broken out one of the fin boxes, but I fixed it the following day when it dried out. I hope you make more of those boards next season, it rocks. (I would like to see a bit more reinforcing around the fin box though ;) )

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
10 May 2014 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Persistence is king kids! Awesome story.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
10 May 2014 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

I thought for sure there was going to be killer dolphin.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"It comes in threes" started by dafish