Forums > Kitesurfing General

Information for rescues - how to handle kites etc

Created by Peterc150 > 9 months ago, 18 Jan 2013
Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
18 Jan 2013 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

I have just written this article for people & emergency services (assuming them to be non-kiters) about how to handle kites in rescue situations.

kitesurfing-handbook.peterskiteboarding.com/safety/rescue-and-handling-kites

Any feedback is welcome, particularly on the boat-related content.

salt
VIC, 616 posts
18 Jan 2013 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Good tip regarding attach leash to board, i wish i told my mate that while he was being boat rescued recently. It disappeared!

Gateman
QLD, 409 posts
18 Jan 2013 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Great article Peter, I've spent many an hour reading through your site. Thank you.

Possible addition since non kiter would not know one line from another when confronted with the bar:

If trying to retrieve a downed kite from the bar, pulling on the "bar" or "handle" is likely to power up and possibly relaunch the kite! Far safer to grab the centre or front lines (these are the ones running through the hole in the centre of the bar)?

Please edit as you see fit, you may be able to put it in clearer words than me.
Cheers

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
18 Jan 2013 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Good article Peter. Here is some feed-back:

Release systems:

The first safety release (near or at the Chicken Loop) will release the kite so that is attached by only a depower line, thereby almost eliminating all power from the kite.

To be thorough you should provide a list a common problematic scenarios when it's best to activate each release system. (I would also include letting go of the bar as a safety system)

It's vital for kiter to understand the type of safety system they are using. Either a single front line safety system, dual front line safety system (most common on the market) or fifth line (or perhaps older type of unsafe safety system like a rear line safety system). It's important to understand and list the advantages/disadvantages of each safety system as well as the possible behaviors of the kite when the safety system is activated in relation to each type of safety system. If the kite is not in a flagging position and still pulling after the release has been activated it is not safe to proceed for any kind of self-rescue.

It's also important to understand the importance of releasing the safety system as soon as a problematic scenario occurs to avoid the possible accumulation of tangled lines which may prevent the kite from depowering even after releasing the chicken loop QR.

Depending on design and configuration, Dual front line safety systems may or may not flag the kite out (full depower) especially in case of tangled lines or kite inversion, as opposed to single line safety systems which are much more suitable for beginners as they are very rarely likely to not flag the kite out completely.

Pros and cons of Wrapping the lines around the bar vs not wrapping lines around the bar to perform a basic self-rescue (creating a sail with your kite) should be discussed.

When choosing to wrap lines around the bar, only the leash line/safety line (not both front lines) should be wrapped around the bar once making sure the bar is gone out to the stopper ball (usually equals to 1 kite span), once the leash line is secured around the bar, then proceed to wrap all lines around the bar.

Boat rescue - kitesurfer not packed down

If the kitesurfer is still attached to the kite, they can be approached by boat from upwind, ensuring that the kite remains downwind.
Once the kitesurfer is reached, they can be fully detached from their kite and the kite later retrieved, or the kite can be retrieved by pulling in the front lines and winding them up.

The procedure to rescue a kitesurfer by boat is as followed (as per IKO standards).

-Approach the kiter from downwind and assess his condition. If the kiter is in need of immediate assistance, release the kite/cut lines and provide first aid.

-If the kiter is fine, explain how you will proceed for the rescue

-Approach the kite from upwind with the boat, cut off the engine or at least put it on neutral. Grab the kite's leading edge and quickly deflate the kite. Place the kite in the boat and pull in the lines to retrieve the kiter. Place the lines carefully in the boat and make sure no lines are dangling out before starting the motor again.

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
18 Jan 2013 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Gateman, thanks - I have incorporated your suggestions.

cbulota, thanks also. Release systems are explained in more detail in the linked article kitesurfing-handbook.peterskiteboarding.com/gear/safety-leash

The leash line/safety line on many kites attaches to the two front lines just above the bar, hence the need to wind them around the bar first.

The IKO procedure doesn't seem right:

Approach the kiter from downwind and assess his condition. If the kiter is in need of immediate assistance, release the kite/cut lines and provide first aid.

This would mean the boat would be coming close to or over the lines between the ktie and his kite (if still attached)?

Approach the kite from upwind with the boat, cut off the engine or at least put it on neutral. Grab the kite's leading edge and quickly deflate the kite. Place the kite in the boat and pull in the lines to retrieve the kiter. Place the lines carefully in the boat and make sure no lines are dangling out before starting the motor again.

If the kite is drifting the lines would be trailing upwind, so approaching it from upwind would have a high risk of entangling the prop in the lines?

oceanfire
WA, 718 posts
18 Jan 2013 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Approaching an overboard person in a boat from downwind is how you get taught when you do your skippers ticket.
More of a safety thing so the boat doesn't get blown over/into the person in the water.

SUPSurferQLD
QLD, 314 posts
19 Jan 2013 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

I would suggest some diagrams of the kite and which area is safest to hold, which line to flag etc.

Otherwise a well laid out tutorial.

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
19 Jan 2013 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Peterc150 said...
Gateman, thanks - I have incorporated your suggestions.

cbulota, thanks also. Release systems are explained in more detail in the linked article kitesurfing-handbook.peterskiteboarding.com/gear/safety-leash

The leash line/safety line on many kites attaches to the two front lines just above the bar, hence the need to wind them around the bar first.

The IKO procedure doesn't seem right:

Approach the kiter from downwind and assess his condition. If the kiter is in need of immediate assistance, release the kite/cut lines and provide first aid.

This would mean the boat would be coming close to or over the lines between the ktie and his kite (if still attached)?

Approach the kite from upwind with the boat, cut off the engine or at least put it on neutral. Grab the kite's leading edge and quickly deflate the kite. Place the kite in the boat and pull in the lines to retrieve the kiter. Place the lines carefully in the boat and make sure no lines are dangling out before starting the motor again.

If the kite is drifting the lines would be trailing upwind, so approaching it from upwind would have a high risk of entangling the prop in the lines?

You need to experience boat rescues yourself with experienced and qualified instructors who have done this many times, or take the IKO course. These methods have been trialed and tested beforehand. I personally boat rescued about 10 kiters in the last 3 years using the method described above, in small 8hp dinghy most of the time in winds averaging 25 knots. Never had any issues.

I understand you just want to help out kiters out there with your handbook. It's a great initiative and such guides are rare. My advice is to get more hands on experience with kite schools and gather more advice from various experienced instructors, plus take an instructor course (BKSA, IKO...) This will give your guide more credibility and may give you a more open mind approach to add or modify sections of your guide.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
19 Jan 2013 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

oceanfire said...
Approaching an overboard person in a boat from downwind is how you get taught when you do your skippers ticket.
More of a safety thing so the boat doesn't get blown over/into the person in the water.

And how it should be done ... Otherwise you risk the swell pushing the boat ontop of the person you are trying to rescue... A hull to the head can do serious damage . I would suggest if the kiter is conscious they should detach from kite once the rescue boat is close by.
In the event that the kiter is unconscious I would be tempted to put another suitable person into the water to detach the downed kiters kite before picking both up from downwind.

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
20 Jan 2013 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

IMHO not a good idea to come in from down wind when in or near breaking waves if U risk tangling lines in propeller - this has caused a few SLSaving RIB's to get munched - will block jetski intake too.

But good initiative Thanks Peterc

Cheers

AP

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
20 Jan 2013 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

breakzmaker, great idea, thanks for the suggestion, I will add some diagrams - similar to "safe approach zones for choppers"

cbulota, I don't have experience with boat rescues - which is why am asking for information from those that do. You haven't said how to manage the risk of tangling props with lines when approaching dowwind - this is clearly a concern.

The IKO course and material is not in the public domain. Should I do an instructor course I would probably not be able to publish the information due to copyright reasons? There are some problems when people make money from their passion & recreation. I don't think that withholding this information in the best interest of the kiting community and rescue organisations.

I am happy to get all input from kiters, schools and instructors about the handbook content - it is crowd sourced. You can provide feedback on any topic here: kitesurfing-handbook.peterskiteboarding.com/contributions

I think I have an open mind, but I am not just putting content up if it doesn't seem right, even if its in the IKO manual.

harry potter, I will incorporate your suggestions. Thanks.

Aquaplow, thanks. We had a boat rescue yesterday with a very experienced kiter (no wind situation). He was picked and then detached his bar. He pulled the kite in with the front lines and deflated it, then wound up his lines up. But the boat drifted onto the lines and got tangled in them underneath so he had to dive under to sort it out. Its tricky!

By the way, I am liaising with the Vic Water Police and Search & Rescue regarding this information too.

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
21 Jan 2013 12:52AM
Thumbs Up

I have added some explanatory diagrams kitesurfing-handbook.peterskiteboarding.com/safety/rescue-and-handling-kites

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
23 Jan 2013 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Here is the diagram for a boat approaching a kitesurfer in the water:

Here is the diagram for a boat approaching a kite in the water:

Jon
NSW, 80 posts
24 Jan 2013 12:55AM
Thumbs Up

BOAT RESCUE

When i was learning in Egypt, this is the way they rescued you with a boat which seemed to be very effective and always worked without a hitch.

Kite down.
Pull safety but don't wind up lines.
Boat approached downwind of kite.
They grabbed kite from water.
As soon as rescuer grabs kite you pull your 2nd safety.
Rescuer deflates kite ASAP and pulls in all lines into boat.
Boat then picks up kiter and his board.

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
24 Jan 2013 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Jon, thanks for that info - I have added it to the article. So there are now two options -

Option 1
* Person on boat grabs the kite and detaches the lines from the kite by undoing the larks head knots, boat moves away from lines in the water
* Kitesurfer then winds lines onto bar (with no kite attached)
* Boat then approaches kitesurfer who can then board it.

Option 2
* Rescuer on boat grabs the kite by its leading edge
* Kitesurfer releases second safety to completely detach kite
* Rescuer on boat then deflates kite and stows it
* Rescuer on boat then pulls lines into boat onto bar
* Boat then approaches kitesurfer from downwind who can then board it.

The first option requires some familiarity with kite rigging and knots.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Information for rescues - how to handle kites etc" started by Peterc150