Forums > Kitesurfing General

Info on Darwin for March

Created by Rusta > 9 months ago, 28 Feb 2013
Rusta
WA, 31 posts
28 Feb 2013 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Good day.

Just been informed I will be flying to Darwin on Monday 4 March until after Easter for work. Looking forward to seeing Darwin cause I haven't been there before or know much about the place.

Would it be worth taking my gear over with me this time of year or would it be a waste of time?

Any information would be great,like places, conditions? Info on wind direction,which is good or bad?

Heard a few mixed reactions about Kiting in Darwin,like stingers an salt water crocs. Not worried about the crocs but will be concerned about the stingers.

T one
NT, 321 posts
28 Feb 2013 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

next week is looking pretty good (for darwin), at this stage.
will be a bit of swell, and a medium westerly monsoonal flow.
probably 15 knots, possibly high teens...
dont bring anything smaller than a 12, or a 14 if you have one.
go to rapid creek or casuarina beach, and make yourself known...
after next week, is anyones guess, as the monsoon has been crap so far this year.
and yes, there is stingers... and crocs. bring beer.
cheers T

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
28 Feb 2013 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Rusta said...

Good day.

Just been informed I will be flying to Darwin on Monday 4 March until after Easter for work. Looking forward to seeing Darwin cause I haven't been there before or know much about the place.

Would it be worth taking my gear over with me this time of year or would it be a waste of time?

Any information would be great,like places, conditions? Info on wind direction,which is good or bad?

Heard a few mixed reactions about Kiting in Darwin,like stingers an salt water crocs. Not worried about the crocs but will be concerned about the stingers.

G'day Rusta,

Always worth taking your gear, you never know.

Traditionally March is still in our monsoon windy season but this year has been anything but traditional (read sh!thouse). Cyclones usually add to the wind score for the year but 'this' year the wind has been taken away from us.

A big hassle and worse than the threat of crocs are the stingers. Its a good idea to get a stinger suit, cheap enough and get them from dive shops or our local kite dealer 'Funsupply'. Mind you, if the wind and waves have been 'on' for a couple of days then nothing to worry about as the stingers get smashed up by the waves so they nic off. BTW Check this out (sorry Tone tee hee) :

Bring your big kite and big board by the way!

cheers,

Robbie

dbabicwa
WA, 805 posts
28 Feb 2013 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys up there!

So the "sea wasp" = stingers ?!

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
28 Feb 2013 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

,,, yeah, sea wasp is the same thing as stingers, or also know as 'box jellyfish" and they bloody hurt (got one on my foot two days ago)!

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
28 Feb 2013 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

hey putez did you say orrr sh**t orrrr f**k . Have seen it before felt sorry for him . He must be really cutting it up by now . Great to see young ones kiting brings a whole lot of things to do with dads , aventure trips and downwinders .

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
28 Feb 2013 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

suface2air said...
hey putez did you say orrr sh**t orrrr f**k . Have seen it before felt sorry for him . He must be really cutting it up by now . Great to see young ones kiting brings a whole lot of things to do with dads , aventure trips and downwinders .

... yeah the little turds are killing us now, not only doing old school stuff but the flicky flicky stuff too! Best thing ever to get the boys into it!

What a good boy Karl, brings his dad a beer!!

Karl, one footer transistion!

Leeroy jumping!

Mitch mid triple backroll!

Karl doing a megaloop on a 7m Rebel!

T one
NT, 321 posts
28 Feb 2013 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

ahhh they take after their Dads.... bless em... *cough cough*

Rusta
WA, 31 posts
28 Feb 2013 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks T one and Robbie for the info. Will pack the 12m,it's my biggest kite.

Will be sure to bring beers and introduce myself. Hopefully see you on the beach sometime next week.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
1 Mar 2013 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Rusta said...
Thanks T one and Robbie for the info. Will pack the 12m,it's my biggest kite.

Will be sure to bring beers and introduce myself. Hopefully see you on the beach sometime next week.

No worries see you there

cheers,

Robbie

ps Beer is a pretty serious subject for us, see video below:

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Info on Darwin for March" started by Rusta