Forums > Kitesurfing General

Improve Hand callus

Created by NathanG > 9 months ago, 1 Jun 2014
NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
1 Jun 2014 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Have searched the forum without success and am expecting lots of one liner jibes...

Here goes... What can I do to get my two hands ready for 2 weeks of kiting in FNQ trades (in 6 weeks time)?

Other prevalent facts that may have relevance:
- winter doldrums are in full swing
- I am a white collar desk jock... No shovels or concrete and taking a leak on my hands can't take place during office hours
- pumping iron isn't my thing... I figure bulking up will only increase the forces applied to my hands
- I got rid of my Slingshot bar years ago and find gloves make things worse (pickle hands and bring on blisters which mutate into puss holes)
- I try not to choke the bar, but I just get so excited when kiting over coral!

Second question is, when kite adventure is in full swing, what do I apply to the festering puss holes at the end of the day to keep infection at bay? Have heard of some cream with a crystalline content that helps to suck the infection out.

Thanks peeps.

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
1 Jun 2014 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

I don't think there is much you can do in six weeks that isn't going to be torn off by your bar in the first hour after your skin gets soggy. Sounds like your bar grip might be too abrasive though, maybe go for a softer grip?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
1 Jun 2014 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Come and work with me ill guarantee hands as rough as a bears arse, if your any good I'll even pay you for the privelage, or get a hadlow bar

tomasb
64 posts
1 Jun 2014 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said...
Come and work with me ill guarantee hands as rough as a bears arse, if your any good I'll even pay you for the privelage, or get a hadlow bar

Grrrrr the testosterone! lol

Tell me, how is it now you've got your hands on Hadlow's bar?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
1 Jun 2014 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

He was expecting one liners, did you expect me to tell him to bath his hands in brine solution to toughen his skin

tomasb
64 posts
1 Jun 2014 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said...
did you expect

Nah, just typical you

Hybrid_Z
VIC, 381 posts
1 Jun 2014 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
1 Jun 2014 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said...

What's your job description? I couldn't find a job title for someone who "jerks off bears" for a living!

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
2 Jun 2014 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

When I was jackarooing in the bush the old timers swore by your own urine to toughen your hands .

Its free , plentiful and easy to administer

Never tried it though - thought they were taking me for a ride . Similar to the brine method so may be some credence in it

Take plenty of tape

Kitesplosh
VIC, 123 posts
2 Jun 2014 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Those Slingshot bars grips are definitely too hard and nobbly for lady hands

I reckon you should attack it from both directions:

1) Tape up the bar with softer grip. the grip tape for bike handles works well
2) Stick your d!ck in coarse sand before you jerk off to toughen up your hands

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
2 Jun 2014 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Eat a few teaspoons of cement and harden up.

Rails
QLD, 1370 posts
2 Jun 2014 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Eric Clapton reckons metho...
Rubbing alcohol and witch hazel - same thing
Go visit Cauncy...

alverstone
WA, 529 posts
2 Jun 2014 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Gloves when kiting? Surely the good God-fearing volk of FNQ haven't banned them as well, or does kiting an a goup of three or more still constitute a threat to the state security of Queensland?

fingerbone
NSW, 921 posts
2 Jun 2014 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

You sound like you have softer hands than my 4yr old Niece pmsl.

If gloves don't help you have bucklys.

oh take off any rings ( that will help hand blisters )
lighten grip on bar and mix it up between hard griping and light gripping.
do some gardening now ( digging ) so blisters come and go and you will be left with slightly tougher skin.
Stop using your moisturizer on your hands

Ragzilla
VIC, 240 posts
2 Jun 2014 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

i spent a few years in the French military.
had massive problems with blistering and callousing hands.

heres a few things to try.

chriso salts. aka iron sulphate.
just chuck it in some warm water and let them soak. works a treat.
if you have blisters make sure you pop them first.
soak for 30mins plus.
this concoction will dry them bad boys out in no time.

i have pissed on my feet many times. it does not help blisters, but helps with tinea , gout and other skin infections.
the ammonia pretty much kills it all.

try a 50% metho 50% water dilution.
if you have blisters or ny other open wound, it will make you tough as F!@K, as it burns.

i don't care if your a doctor or a pediatrist.......... you want the skin to dry, not be soft.
sure..... having soft hands is nice if you want to hold hands with your boyfriends, but you will just end up with more blisters.
i have had some docs tell me to use moisturises and powders. its bulls@!t.

CHRISSO SALTS (IRON SULPHATE) available from any really good pharmacy.
approx $30-$40 per kilo.

bonne chance et viva la l?gion

R***

dafunk
QLD, 559 posts
2 Jun 2014 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Ive heard the piss on the blisters , from a very old mate RIP .
I work with oil n grease and it seems to dry them blisters up fast .

Mark _australia
WA, 22081 posts
2 Jun 2014 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Acetone on the bits that normally get calloused, every night for those few weeks, will make nice thick hard outer skin. Same as the metho suggestion.
Then take superglue with you, and repair any callouses as they get broken up - before it is raw skin or split thru - and that will keep them in good nick

Take a sock, you won't be able to use your hand. :)

Resisting the temptation to ask why, when you guys are hooked in all time, this q'n is common in windsurfing but kiting...? :/

Plummet
4862 posts
3 Jun 2014 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe don't death grip the bar so much?

You could also buy a set of gloves.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
3 Jun 2014 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Resisting the temptation to ask why, when you guys are hooked in all time, this q'n is common in windsurfing but kiting...? :/

You are still having to steer the kite through the bar, some kites especially older ones also still have a fair bit of pull through the bar and a lot of the flicky, spinny, fancy jumps are also done unhooked,

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
3 Jun 2014 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NathanG said..

Have searched the forum without success and am expecting lots of one liner jibes...

Here goes... What can I do to get my two hands ready for 2 weeks of kiting in FNQ trades (in 6 weeks time)?

- I am a white collar desk jock... No shovels or concrete and taking a leak on my hands can't take place during office hours
- pumping iron isn't my thing... I figure bulking up will only increase the forces applied to my hands
- I got rid of my Slingshot bar years ago and find gloves make things worse (pickle hands and bring on blisters which mutate into puss holes)

Second question is, when kite adventure is in full swing, what do I apply to the festering puss holes at the end of the day to keep infection at bay? Have heard of some cream with a crystalline content that helps to suck the infection out.

Thanks peeps.

Errr what's the first question?

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
3 Jun 2014 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said..

NathanG said..

Thanks peeps.

Errr what's the first question?

Oh you have damaged hands? Hand them into Mrs Palmer. She'll look after those sores mate.

Bertie
NSW, 1351 posts
3 Jun 2014 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Acetone on the bits that normally get calloused, every night for those few weeks, will make nice thick hard outer skin. Same as the metho suggestion.
Then take superglue with you, and repair any callouses as they get broken up - before it is raw skin or split thru - and that will keep them in good nick

Take a sock, you won't be able to use your hand. :)

This is the best way to do it.
Having worked as a boat builder with lots of acetone about it works!
dont bother with metho, it doesnt dry the skin out enough.

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
3 Jun 2014 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the great tips. I really like the superglue idea if the preventative prep work doesn't do the job.

Kiting strong trade winds from sunrise to sunset without blisters will be heaven!

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
4 Jun 2014 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

... metho works and kinda smells nice too!!!

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
4 Jun 2014 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

buy some gardening gloves and gaffa tape the wrists

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
4 Jun 2014 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

A good pair of sailing gloves mate, tried and tested for years by sailors the world over.
Might not stop the softening of the skin but the pressure on skin is massively reduced. Worth starting on them anyway, like buying yourself a head-start.

Then at the end of the day make sure to dry them nicely and wrap them around a cold beer, repeating whenever the beer gets warm.

Ragzilla
VIC, 240 posts
6 Jun 2014 1:22AM
Thumbs Up

FOR THE SECOND TIME ........... URINE DOES NOT HELP HARDEN YOUR HANDS. IT ONLY STOPS INFECTION !!
CHRISSO SALT!!!!!!!! (also works for erectile dysfunction !! )

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
6 Jun 2014 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hit the weights bro!

Throwing dumbells & barbells around will make you fit for the trip, and callous you up .. not 100% ... but all the better so you're fit, strong & physically warmed up ...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Improve Hand callus" started by NathanG