Forums > Kitesurfing General

Guaranteed to end up taken the wrong way....!

Created by Addikt > 9 months ago, 14 Dec 2014
Addikt
WA, 551 posts
14 Dec 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Let me set the scene.....This is not a pollie vs kite hate motivated and I know the haters will chime in so take it as you want I know you will.... but for the rest I'm sure you see the humour......;)

I remember the stoke the first time I was standing on the beach and watched someone have the "hand of god" pull him off the water and boost 15 plus feet and the speed and power he got yanked off the water......!

Back to the scene.......

So you just got the latest Quatro and sail you rig up and eventually after everyone stopping to check out your new gear and froth over it you head out on your flash gear for your first run......the board feels light sail full and powered.......you love your new gear..

You look downwind and then it happens........you see a kite boost up...up...then as he looks down at you over the back of his shoulder, does it make you feel like you have just wasted 5 grand?

Gwendy
SA, 472 posts
15 Dec 2014 2:33AM
Thumbs Up

Yep.

Gwendy
SA, 472 posts
15 Dec 2014 2:36AM
Thumbs Up

Here's what your 5 grand looks like to a kiter

Surfer62
1357 posts
15 Dec 2014 4:49AM
Thumbs Up

Its amazing how many people, just average beach goers, approach you after a kite session and comment, " that's looks awesome, fun " etc etc, but in about 6 or 7 years kiting havent seen same happen to a polie.

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
15 Dec 2014 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surfer62 said..

Its amazing how many people, just average beach goers, approach you after a kite session and comment, " that's looks awesome, fun " etc etc, but in about 6 or 7 years kiting havent seen same happen to a polie.

I started windsurfing when windsurfing started way back when. Back then it did used to happen a lot. Gotta remember windsurfing has been around 35+ years, Still give me a kite any day

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
15 Dec 2014 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

The real question is: Should you care???

The exact same thing happens when riding different styles of Kiteboarding... For example doing a trick on a wakeskate that took me considerable time to learn gets almost no feedback what so ever, when in comparison if I make a dangly jump on a surfboard strapless (which took no time to learn) I will get people blowing up about it...

Everything is relative, you should do things because you love it and want to challenge yourself, not because some looser on the beach is going to think you're a mad dog because of it. If you really like that sort of stuff you should start taking a heap of steroids and going to festivals.

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
15 Dec 2014 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

I'd rather watch a windsurfer shred in the surf with powered jumps then 90% of the stuff kiters do. Sayin.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
15 Dec 2014 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Does it make you guys feel inadequate when it's 30+knots and you're all on the beach watching that same guy on his Quattro shredding

mazdon
1196 posts
15 Dec 2014 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
THE DONG said..
I'd rather watch a windsurfer shred in the surf with powered jumps then 90% of the stuff kiters do. Sayin.

+1 in 3m at 16s and 30kn at main break!

@rowdy re: "If you really like that sort of stuff you should start taking a heap of steroids and going to festivals."
spat coffee all over my laptop from this one... definitely some stereo's crew around lately haha
you injured or something? been throwing some quality commentary but not many vids up lately???

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
15 Dec 2014 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mazdon said..

THE DONG said..

@rowdy re: "If you really like that sort of stuff you should start taking a heap of steroids and going to festivals."
spat coffee all over my laptop from this one... definitely some stereo's crew around lately haha
you injured or something? been throwing some quality commentary but not many vids up lately???

I do what I can . I'm probably on here more than normal because I'm actually at home where there is a consistent internet connection haha.

I'm filming some stuff here and there, just hard to get conditions to line up and camera men to co-operate . Had some great sessions in the waves at home lately, I can't believe how windy it's been, is everyone else getting this much wind?

bardunyah
WA, 73 posts
15 Dec 2014 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Addikt said..

Back to the scene...

So you just got the latest Quatro and sail you rig up and eventually after everyone stopping to check out your new gear and froth over it you head out on your flash gear for your first run......the board feels light sail full and powered.......you love your new gear..

You look downwind and then it happens........you see a kite boost up...up...then as he looks down at you over the back of his shoulder, does it make you feel like you have just wasted 5 grand?

You're on the beach watching a windsurfer set up his brand new gear. You see him going out on his first run, and it looks great. You remember how fantastic you felt when you got new gear. You've forgotten the cost already, the feeling is worth it.

You also see a kiter do a great jump and you smile & feel happy because you see so many people living and loving the wind & water, just like you.

You are happy to be alive in this great country, and you encourage others to pursue their passions also.

People talk kindly of you, because you're such a great guy.

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
15 Dec 2014 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
THE DONG said..

Nice try, but in 30 knots with a 6-7m kite and the board of your choice you can be ripping the wind swell and boosting into orbit. At the same time all the windsurfers are getting smashed in the shore break.

I started windsurfing in the 1983 and it was huge fun. I don't remember anybody stopping me to ask about it.

When I started kiting in 1999 I would do a short downwinder then walk back for another run. I was being stopped every 50m by people who wanted to tell me how amazing it looked and how could they try it. True the walking component gives more people the chance to talk, but I also did the walk of shame on the first short windsurfers and never got much more than a smile and a g'day.

Even now, the rise of hydrofoils and the Ozone Chrono kites has the power to knock my socks off when I see people kiting.

I'm just an old dude with some fairly moderate skills but I have jumped into orbit. I have ridden waves from ankle slappers to double overhead. I have ridden over tropical reefs and ridden with a sperm whale mother and calf. I have done this all as part of normal riding and holidays. No expeditions. No shipping containers. I did pay some excess baggage once.

The time I truly envy windsurfers is when it's well above 40 knots and the weather is looking dangerously scary. It was fun to ride with a 3-4m sail and ride up and down the massive wind swells on the bay.

tomme
VIC, 475 posts
15 Dec 2014 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..

mazdon said..

THE DONG said..

I do what I can . I'm probably on here more than normal because I'm actually at home where there is a consistent internet connection haha.

I'm filming some stuff here and there, just hard to get conditions to line up and camera men to co-operate . Had some great sessions in the waves at home lately, I can't believe how windy it's been, is everyone else getting this much wind?

Only missed a few days and more because of not being bothered to drive to get wind than not being any.

craggers
WA, 475 posts
15 Dec 2014 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

bardunyah wins.

stuntnaz
NSW, 540 posts
15 Dec 2014 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said...
Does it make you guys feel inadequate when it's 30+knots and you're all on the beach watching that same guy on his Quattro shredding

30+knots and my 7m kite and I'm in heaven !!
Not sure we're your getting your info from but most of my kite buddies hang for that wind!!

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
15 Dec 2014 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stuntnaz said...
sausage said...

30+knots and my 7m kite and I'm in heaven !!
Not sure we're your getting your info from but most of my kite buddies hang for that wind!!

Yep 30+ = big grins

Hoger
QLD, 41 posts
15 Dec 2014 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Guys,
Having just finished my (kiting) session yesterday at Bulcock Beach in 7-metre SE conditions I headed to my Dad's place for a much needed feed, but prior, did a surf/wind check and drove to the top of Moffatt Headland to watch surfers take on head high waves running along the point and windsurfers tackling Dicky reef some 500 metres to the North...kiters commencing downwinders were another 500 metres further North again and a quick stop at Neill Street (poley's launch area for Dicky reef) saw plenty of surfers/swimmers/boogers enjoying shoulder-high clean cross-shore conditions just off the beach...my point...well all were enjoying the stoke, as I had been earlier, of what mother nature can conjure up...new gear, old gear, bought gear or gift received...didn't seem to matter that day...a genuine real-life Waterworld!!!

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
15 Dec 2014 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Unless you these guys.......! Then I guess you look up and smile.... ;)

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
16 Dec 2014 1:57AM
Thumbs Up

stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
16 Dec 2014 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

wait for it..... Rowdy's just warming up...

FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
17 Dec 2014 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Addikt said..
Back to the scene.......

No.

Next question?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Guaranteed to end up taken the wrong way....!" started by Addikt