Forums > Kitesurfing General

Good wave spot Victoria?

Created by hec > 9 months ago, 15 Nov 2009
hec
VIC, 10 posts
15 Nov 2009 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hey All,

I've a season under my belt now, mostly spent mastering the flats of Port Phillip Bay. Wouldn't mind attempting some waves now and the wind and swell should be cranking tomorrow (SW up to 30 knots). Any suggestions for a good spot in Vic to try out some waves? I'm an old fart (42), but have surfed a fair bit in the past so the concept of waves will not be new to me - just haven't tried them with a kite.

If any one's keen on heading down the coast tomorrow PM me and maybe we can sort something out transport wise or hook up down there - i'm based in St. Kilda area.

Cheers

Hec (Bryan)

kiting kid
VIC, 219 posts
15 Nov 2009 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Gunnamatta or portsea

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
15 Nov 2009 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hec,

I know it is still on the bay, but when a 30 kt SWer comes through Brighton beach gets some nice small waves on the reef at the south end. Its a good spot to learn some wave basics I reckon, like getting over a broken wave on the way out.

kiting kid
VIC, 219 posts
15 Nov 2009 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

Hec,

I know it is still on the bay, but when a 30 kt SWer comes through Brighton beach gets some nice small waves on the reef at the south end. Its a good spot to learn some wave basics I reckon, like getting over a broken wave on the way out.

but he said he had surfed before but brighton can be good

aspandale has bigger waves kno than brighton

hec
VIC, 10 posts
15 Nov 2009 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers fellas,

I've done the basics as in getting out the back in smaller surf at Altona, Robe and Portland - was more looking at real waves. East coast's probably looking too big for me at 6 ft. Was thinking maybe Torquay, 13th, Fairhaven, Anglesea or similar where it should be 4 ft. SW good wind for these?

Hec

Just had a thought - Pt. Addis any good? Might be easier to escape the shore pound here?

cabstar
VIC, 328 posts
15 Nov 2009 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

try big left at flinders sketchy luanch landing are but awsome break well nown by many windsurfers or try seccond reef at point leo

juggler
VIC, 243 posts
17 Nov 2009 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

13th beach goes off

monte
VIC, 23 posts
17 Nov 2009 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

*crickets*

waxhead1
VIC, 172 posts
18 Nov 2009 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

Lostinlondon: you are a tool, he said he wants waves, not bay wind chop, there is a huge difference.

Hec I think Portsea area would be great for you.

Gorgo
VIC, 4917 posts
18 Nov 2009 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Point Leo, Sandy Point/Waratah Bay, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Fairhaven, etc are all beaches where you have a shallow flat section that you can get going on and turn around and generally run away from the waves to the inside if you need to.

Otherwise, any beach big enough to launch/land from with surf is fine.

I would avoid Gunnamatta at first because you have limited escape routes downwind and you're likely to be kiting upwind of surfers there.

Gunnamatta, Rye and Portsea have a bit of a shorebreak with a big gutter to to deal with that could be a problem to a newbie.

I've heard of people launching around Bells Beach and doing downwinders hitting the various breaks and bombies along the way. I've never done that but it sounds pretty good.

Inverloch looks good but I've never kited there.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
18 Nov 2009 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

As Cabstar said, ......BIG LEFTS, Hooters .....cyrils etc... at Flinders are some of the best reef breaks on the peninsula ( obviously there are others )these IMO are much better for kiting than Rye, Gunamatta, Portsea which are mainly beach breaks with fickle banks a massive sweep and can only really hold up to 6ft before they start closing out .....under this size it can be a kiting playground.. Well worth a look from the cliff when it is 10ft plus closing out as it feel like the beach is shaking.

Launching and landing at Flinders can be tricky as there is not much beach and there is a cliff directly behind the beach which makes for some shifty updrafts, self rescue or any sort of kitemare will see you hauling yourself out over rocks (not sharp or overly dangerous but not great either ) If you are not that confident head around into westernport bay to Pt Leo, Shoreham, although you do need either a E SE or S to get any decent clean wind in here and the waves will be about a third the size ( can still get up around 4-6ft ) this is an excellent spot when there is a big swell on the open beaches and a S to SE blowing.

Others to consider : Cat Bay ( faces into westernport bay on Phillip Island , nice and protected with small swell lines ) best in a W SW NW Flyns reef and Right point are also right here all with in about 800m or each other.
West Coast : Pt Danger, Anglesea , Fairhaven etc...... are some of the better spots west coast will almost always be about 2-4 ft smaller than the east coast unless it is a south easterly swell ( very rare ) if it is South WEsterly Fairhaven and 13th Beach probably get the cleanest wind although the swell at 13th will be larger than Fairhaven. Pt Roadknight at Anglesea is also a great spot for waves but launching and landing can be very difficult in the cliff wind shadow ( if unsure best to set up on main beach and kite upwind to Pt Roadknight takes about 10min )
Pm me if you want more specific info on any particular spot and I will help if i can

Sasha
VIC, 103 posts
18 Nov 2009 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Torquay is bad for waves,
try Pt Henry in Geelong.

hec
VIC, 10 posts
18 Nov 2009 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the great replies everyone. Plenty of information there to keep me going for a while - can't imagine i'll be taking on 10ft Flinders for some time though.

I did venture down the coast and had a great time at a place I'd better not mention else risk the wrath of Sasha. I've time off for the next few weeks so if anyone's keen for a session maybe we can hook up.

Cheers

Hec

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Good wave spot Victoria?" started by hec