Forums > Kitesurfing General

Equipment advice needed

Created by jinxmix > 9 months ago, 7 Jul 2013
jinxmix
4 posts
7 Jul 2013 3:37AM
Thumbs Up

Hello everyone

About me: I am around 65kg (~145lbs). Around 1,80m (5'11''), slim body type.
I am a beginner kitesurfer and I am seriously considering buying my first owned equipment, and I would appreciate your input on a a few of points.

I am minded towards the new Cabrinha Switchblade 2013, because the reviews have is as extremely easy to use, very versatile, has easy relaunch, and is a good kite to take you from the beginning to intermediate level. I haven't had the opportunity to try it. Do you think it would be a good choice? Would you suggest another option?

In relation to the size: Cabrinha lists the 9m for 15-26kts, and the 10m for 12-23kts. (see here: http://www.cabrinhakites.com/bow/switchblade.html )
Cabrihna says these are based on a 75kg (~170lbs) rider. How are these adjusted for me? 65kg (~145lbs).

I will be mainly kitesurfing in Cyprus (e.g. Paramali beach). The average wind on a typical summer day may be anything from say 12-13kts on a calm day to say double that (25kts) on less common windier days, perhaps higher gusts. i would say the summer average would be between 14-18kts.

What do you suggest for my case? I am mainly minded towards the 10m as a lot of reviews say the SB 2013 are not amazing on the low-end of the spectrum. Is a 10m ok? should i be considering an 11 instead? or will it be over the top?

As a second kite (in the future) perhaps a 7m would complement a 10m kite. (also more useful for stronger winds in autumn/spring)

Another question is in relation to the bar. Cabrinha's standard bars are the 42cm for the 7m and the 48cm for the 10m. (the 8m and the 11m use next size up). (see here: http://www.cabrinhakites.com/bow/switchblade.html )However, some reviewers suggest that using the next size up bar will make this kite a bit more responsive. (for example see this: www.kitefinder.com/en/kites/1182/cabrinha-switchblade-2013#user-reviews ) Any thoughts on that?

About the board. The kite package i am considering is linked with the new Best Spark Plug. This board is similarly reviewed to be good for an entry to intermediate level, which I think suits my case. Do you think i should be considering something else?

There are two size options (136x41 or 142x42). Which one should i be choosing? Normally the 136x41 would be better suited for someone my weight i.e. 65kg (~145lbs). But, given my inexperience, should I be considering the 142x42?

Sorry for the long-winded email and firing all the questions. This is a big investment for me, and given my inexperience I am full of questions, but I am sure the seasoned kitefurfers in this forum can help me a lot!

Many thanks in advance

jinxmix

jinxmix
4 posts
7 Jul 2013 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Perhaps I asked too many questions! Any input would be appreciated!

Craig66
NSW, 2440 posts
7 Jul 2013 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

yes, you are full of questions

nigelw2
VIC, 237 posts
7 Jul 2013 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

What sized kites do the people your size fly at your local beach?
That's probably the best answer to kite size.
You can't go too far wrong with the switchblades.

axion
VIC, 144 posts
7 Jul 2013 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

If I was in your shoes and based on the information you have given I would probably go the 10m kite and the 136x41 board.

But definitely go down to your local beach where you are planning on doing most of your riding and ask a few people about what works that's the only way to know for sure.

Monkers
WA, 258 posts
8 Jul 2013 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

I learnt on Switchblades ... they are tip top!

I reckon 8m or 10m ( or both) given u r a light weight ( no offence) .. . . maybe look for 2 2nd hand kites approx. 2 seasons old for the same price as a newy .. so then u got the different conditions covered. I have both and I use the same bar for both but im not sure which size it is .

re board .. 136...

jinxmix
4 posts
8 Jul 2013 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you all for your input.

I discussed this also locally and indeed a 10m and an 8m would be at this point the best for me.

However, some people who have tried the NEW (2013) Switchblades say that some of the low end power was sacrificed for maneuverability and agility, and that therefore 11m and 9m would be better in this case.

Any thoughts on this?

seb2
VIC, 231 posts
9 Jul 2013 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jinxmix said..

Thank you all for your input.

I discussed this also locally and indeed a 10m and an 8m would be at this point the best for me.

However, some people who have tried the NEW (2013) Switchblades say that some of the low end power was sacrificed for maneuverability and agility, and that therefore 11m and 9m would be better in this case.

Any thoughts on this?

i'm the same weight. In victoria Aus wind 15-25knots, my one kite would be a 10m, i was out 90% of days.

Your boards size should be the 136, put the pads as wide apart as they can go, if it is not wide enough then consider a larger board. 142 is quite big. Look around for used packages.

they always spin crap on the kite sites, "10m for 12-23kts" It would be remarkable to me if you made it work in under 15 knots.

I reckon it sounds like it is not that windy there. I would get a used 10m or 11m kite and see how you go. I would also see what other guys in the area ride. In vic most guys are on 12m kites. We are lighter so drop 2m below the average kite used.

In my mind its better to have more power than not enough. To get out in under 15knots you will need a light wind kite. to be comfortably riding in under 15knots you will want a 14m kite, some people use foils and most brands offer a light wind option.

However if you are a beginner I would not go down that road yet. beginners should stick between 15-22knots in my opinion.

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
9 Jul 2013 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

I dont think 2m difference in kite size is enough, too much overlap. You'll get better wind range with 3m. And go with what the locals say. Fwiw I'm 68kg and have 9 & 12m in Perth, avg 15-25kn.

I'd be getting a dirt cheap used larger 140cm plus board to learn on. Easier to learn and after a season keep it as your low wind board and then buy a decent board. By that time you'll have a much better idea of what you want.

And +1 buying used kite. My first kite I totally trashed, rips, blown bladders etc. I would have cried had it been new.

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
9 Jul 2013 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

I weigh in at 65kgs use and love my switchblade I am in hervey bay average wind is 10 -15kn and if iam lucky I get 4 days in a year at 25 kn . Kite is a 2010 , 11 meter and board is 138 x 40(dead flat on bottom no tunnels ect) gets me going in the 11kn on wards with working the kite . 13 -15kn is the sweet spot .I also have a 6 ,9 meter for the bigger wind it is all I have needed in the 4 years of kiting . a 10 meter will be to small for the lite wind but great from around 15 to 25 .
Happy winds might see you on the water one day good luck and love our sport there is nothing like it out there .

jinxmix
4 posts
9 Jul 2013 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you for your insightful comments, Seabreezeb, Freddofrog and surface2air! It's very useful to get input from people around my weight.

Agreed that 10m would be too small for my 'large kite'.
I believe 11m would be ok for those 13-19kts kind of days. A 9m would be appropriate for those windier 17-24kts kind of days.
This covers around 90% of summer.

Days 25kts are rare, and almost never in the summer.
If/when i progress to the 25+ kts level, I will have to invest in a 7m kite too.

In theory i have it all sorted out - let's hope it also works out in practice too!

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
10 Jul 2013 5:48AM
Thumbs Up

20 - 25kts + newb on an 11m switchie = fried newb kite brain.
10 and 7 m . get a huge board. a newb needs around 5kts more than anyone same weight to even get out of the water let alone planing and upwind. 41 is very narrow for a board these days. Your 142.42 is the smallest I would go. The bigger board will make up for not having the 9 & the 11 but you will have a more controllable kite.
One thing you didn't question was your harness.
Make sure it is a seat. You're most likely not a giraffe at your weight and you'll be able to reach the bar at full depower much easier. Having said that if you want a waist harness check out Engine harnesses. It seems they are really catching on, but a seat is a much cheaper and sure solution.

Ditto for second hand tips here. 2kites is better than one, 3 is better than 2. For the price of a new Switchie you could even get a 14/10/7 if you shop around. Call Griffin kites about the TRX's. look at Lithiums, Jekylls & Renegades back as far as 2010/11 All popular in Europe and should be easy to get good quality.

SunkenStan
1 posts
16 Jul 2013 4:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hey!

Surprised to see people from local spot asking questions here, but decided to put my 5cents to the topic.

Luckily(?) I know what it is to be 65kg'ish beginner in Paramali and the rest spots here in Cyprus. I'm similar type, but became a bit fatter due to mediterranean portions of food and I've started at Paramali in the beginning of 2012 season. Probably we could have met each other even, as I'm trying to catch all the wind possible durring these days.

As for wind it's actually a bit above those numbers you can see @ windguru. So if you see 12knots there you can go and prepare for a nice session, usually you won't be disappointed. Wind is thermal and Troodos mountains act as turbine speeding it up in Paramail area. If you take a look most of the guys of your size are on 9m kites. You can easily spot dozen of these kites on average day.

As for kites. I have 2012 LF Envy 9m now and it was perfect for initial training and gave me true joy when I was learning.
Stable, easy, eats those nasty gusts and pulls you way more harder than you need there in Paramali on average. 20-30% depower is not something rare.
My buddy owns switchblade 11m, so I can compare Envy vs SB in same conditions in both scenarios when I fly one after another or if I watch how he is performing. First it was his note, that seems like LF is a bit better in low end and afterwards we compared a bit. SB wanted a little bit more of wind to fly more controllable even though it's 2m bigger, when Envy was pulling enough for lazy ride. Switchblade is great kite when fed good enough.

As for new kites and used ones it's personal preference. Seems like you already good in flying kite and will not bash it on the rough sand every now and then, but it's also good to be confident enough and not collapse your new expensive toy within first month or two. I bet you saw those rocks on the left side of the beach. They look disturbing, right? Usually instructors advise not to fool around there in 50-100 meters range.
Well, I have to admit that I was too cocky when I managed to go upwind and thought that I'm damn good. It ended up quite badly, when I fell down and my kite was ripped off by the waves and those sharp rocks. Good for me it was used ex-school Eclipse kite, which I took initially for practicing all the basics. Worth noting after I got new LF kite progression went noticeably faster.

This season I saw another two poor guys who lost their kites on this beach. First one landed kite on the same rocks I did and another one exploded his ballon on those thorny bushes around the beach.

Board 138*41 was the one that has served me well for very first waterstarts and stuffs. There is never flat water, always chop or even waves. Tried 132*40 and difference was noticeable, so I decided to go back to large one until I feel confident.

Not trying to push anything here. My experience is still far from something to be proud of, but at least I hope info about the spot might be useful for you. As for kites, just not to throw meaningless words you can drop me msg and we agree on time when you can try it if you want. Same for the board.

Cheers.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Equipment advice needed" started by jinxmix