Forums > Kitesurfing General

Disability/death insurance options

Created by kitebored > 9 months ago, 7 Aug 2012
kitebored
NSW, 552 posts
7 Aug 2012 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

So with a baby on the way and recovering from an injury which put me off work I'm looking into personal injury insurance, combined with death cover.

What companies do you guys have this through, do they cover all activities? I have been told that to go through super is the best approach. Doing some research before I signup, probably will talk to an accountant too. Cheers

bigmark100
NSW, 584 posts
7 Aug 2012 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

I did the same when my baby was due.

I originally went with Westpac, and didnt shop around much.
I'm now with AMP, and its almost half the price, with better cover.

I am not recommending AMP, I work for them and get staff discount.
Definitely shop around.

And most importantly, be honest about the stuff you do.
Ensure that you are covered for kitesurfing etc.

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
7 Aug 2012 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Mark

Are you sure you are covered for kitesurfing? Every company I have approached in the past said no (this was three years ago though).

kitebored
NSW, 552 posts
8 Aug 2012 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info Mark.

For anyone interested it looks like income protection is what I was after rather than disability cover, it keeps the wage coming in but no lump sum on disability.

Super fund (First State) around 30% cheaper than the best deal insurance company (OnePath/ING) recommended by a broker.

Just need to keep an eye on the wife with the kitchen knives after I sign up

Robbo2099
WA, 736 posts
11 Aug 2012 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

BIG warning on these policies: Unless you get a fixed-price policy, the insurance company will continually escalate the price every year. 15 years ago I took out a policy like this (disability cover) costing $55/month; today it has escalated to more than $500/month! (And NO claims have been made on the policy during this time and no health issues) Now if I cancel it I lose all the benefits accrued (e.g., lifetime cover) and any new policy will only pay you until you reach age 65. BEWARE. (AXA)

Income protection will cost FAR more.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Disability/death insurance options" started by kitebored