Forums > Kitesurfing General

Darwin Kitesurfing, anyone?

Created by surfkitten > 9 months ago, 27 Jul 2012
surfkitten
NSW, 3 posts
27 Jul 2012 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there,
I just moved to Darwin to work for 3 months and would love to do some kite surfing while I'm here! I started kite surfing 3 years ago, but haven't been out for the last 2 years, so will still be very much at the beginners level.
Is there anyone in Darwin who could give me a quick refresher lesson/ would like to go kiting/ have some advice re hiring gear etc? I've got my own harnest, but would need to hire kite and board. The kite I used last time I went kiting was a 9m Slingshot Octane kite.

Hope to find a surf buddy :o)

cheers

jamdfingr
QLD, 663 posts
27 Jul 2012 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

CROC - O - DILES!!!!

dogfish
NT, 253 posts
27 Jul 2012 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

jamdfingr said...

CROC - O - DILES!!!!

SLI - D - ERS!!!!

surfkitten
NSW, 3 posts
27 Jul 2012 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for info!
I'll make sure to wear a stinger suit and stay away from creeks and river mouths...

jamdfingr
QLD, 663 posts
27 Jul 2012 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

dogfish said...

jamdfingr said...

CROC - O - DILES!!!!

SLI - D - ERS!!!!

Tell you what,

You send me a photo of you (or anyone for that matter) grinding your way up a crocs back as a slider and I will remove my original post....

I did also notice that she said she was a beginner and if it were me, I wouldn't want to be sitting in that water for too long.

Plummet
4862 posts
27 Jul 2012 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

i will offer a big mac combo to anyone providing a video of croc - o - slider action

dogfish
NT, 253 posts
28 Jul 2012 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

gimme jellyfish and flatdogs over teuros anyday

Torch
WA, 521 posts
29 Jul 2012 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

surfkitten said...

Thanks for info!
I'll make sure to wear a stinger suit and stay away from creeks and river mouths...

Your in for a shock then, the best place for a kite there is at the mouth of rapid creek, damed if you do and damed if you dont....

the lads will sort you out where to kite

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
30 Jul 2012 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

G'day,

yeah the best place is at a creek mouth but your unlikely to go there this time of year as the trade winds won't be the right direction til probably October at the earliest if we're lucky.

We won't have any worries about stingers this time of year either and personally I've never seen any crocs where we kite (this time of year) so its no big deal, I've been kiting since 2003 and windsurfed for years before so its fairly safe.

Your more likely to die of liver failure with the amount of beer you end up drinking!

cheers,

Robbie

p.s. here's a stinger video

p.p.s. http://www.funsupply.com.au/pages/Kite-Surfing-in-Darwin.html

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
30 Jul 2012 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

dogfish said...

gimme jellyfish and flatdogs over teuros anyday

... far out, them teuros are bloody dangerous indeed!

chino
VIC, 166 posts
31 Jul 2012 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

Puetz said...

G'day,

yeah the best place is at a creek mouth but your unlikely to go there this time of year as the trade winds won't be the right direction til probably October at the earliest if we're lucky.

you might end up at the creek from Casuarina anyways if you happen to be 100m offshore when the wind drops! Don't worry - Puetz will be onshore having a beer and enjoying the show. He may even offer you a beer after you've made the hike back, with your lines around your leg and a kite full of sand!

I miss Darwin. I don't miss waiting 2 weeks for 12 knots... but hanging with Robbie, Geoff, and an eskie full of beer was pretty cool.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
31 Jul 2012 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

chino said...

Puetz said...

G'day,

you might end up at the creek from Casuarina anyways if you happen to be 100m offshore when the wind drops! Don't worry - Puetz will be onshore having a beer and enjoying the show. He may even offer you a beer after you've made the hike back, with your lines around your leg and a kite full of sand!

I miss Darwin. I don't miss waiting 2 weeks for 12 knots... but hanging with Robbie, Geoff, and an eskie full of beer was pretty cool.

Tee hee, that was nearly all of us doing the walk of necessary only you tried your luck for one more run and unfortunately paid the price!! That was one weird day btw

surfkitten
NSW, 3 posts
3 Aug 2012 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

thanks robbie,- I'll be catching up with Geoff on Monday morning, if there's any wind to catch.. :)

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
3 Aug 2012 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Puetz said...

chino said...

Puetz said...

G'day,

Tee hee, that was nearly all of us doing the walk of necessary only you tried your luck for one more run and unfortunately paid the price!! That was one weird day btw

Did he ask you to do the Heineken challenge?

T one
NT, 321 posts
4 Aug 2012 2:31AM
Thumbs Up

Recently renamed the bintang challenge eppo!

How's chilly WA?

dogfish
NT, 253 posts
7 Aug 2012 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

WARNING
croc sited at buff ck this morning!

oh feck! hang on!

that's a LOG - O - DILE

(known to attack teuros, tho')

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General