Forums > Kitesurfing General

Clueless Brit seeking Aussie advice re: Bali/Indo

Created by Frankers > 9 months ago, 27 Feb 2016
Frankers
4 posts
27 Feb 2016 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hey, would appreciate some advice...

Headed to Bali in May for 3 weeks as part of a bigger backpacking trip. Not able to take boards with me but figured could probably squeeze in one kite and then maybe rent a surfboard/twintip when I get there (I've always found renting kites to be extortionate).

So question is: what size?/ is it worth taking a kite at all? 70kg, experienced kiter but limited surfboard experience.

Fully aware surfing is no 1 on the menu in Indo but was wondering if anyone who had kited there could shed some light. Currently have 8 and 13 but thinking might need something in the middle!

Any advice appreciated!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
27 Feb 2016 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Yep you are clueless
Dog n rat is no1 on the menu
Advice , don't eat it

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
27 Feb 2016 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Just takin the piss
When there I kited every day on a 17
Another bloke on a 15
The guys with 12s were hit n miss
At Sanur and nusa
There was a kite joint there renting gear but I'm sure the Darwin crew will chip in with more up to date info,

Mark _australia
WA, 22090 posts
27 Feb 2016 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Take as much gear as you can fit into a booger bag.

Frankers
4 posts
28 Feb 2016 3:13AM
Thumbs Up

All very sound advice thanks ;)

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
28 Feb 2016 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

... some good info here: www.bali-kitesurfing.org/

From what I found over the past few years going to Sanur, wind can be a bit hit and miss, especially around May but with the El Nino thing happening, you never know your luck. Luckily for me I've had every trip so far that's been a hit,,,, but,,,, I also helped myself by taking appropriate sized equipment. Plenty of people have gone and missed out. Don't expect powerful grunty winds that you might get back home and you'll be happier when the wind does come up. Lower your expectations, accept the winds you get, and that way you won't be disappointed, you will have some fun.

So having said that, I always recommend to take your gear if you can, but only if its appropriate for the location and winds. Obviously if you only have a 9 your going to make things harder for yourself,,, but the 13 just might be ok,,,, if your not a big guy.

From what I have seen, there are plenty of places you can hire boards from,,,, from the kite school in the south end of Sanur (who is also the local kite repair guy) or walk the foreshore path northwards and you will pass a few kite schools along the way who I'm sure will help you out. About 600 m up is Rip Curl kite school who usually have the latest Airush gear ( ripcurlschoolofsurf.com/the-schools/sanur/ ).

Further North again, about another 600m is our favourite, Bali Bagus Kitesurfing School next to Putu's Warung which has a bunch of different gear with plenty of boards from what I've seen and kites too.

I have seen a few more kiteschools further along the foreshore, further north at some of the big hotels but I don't know if you can walk in off the street and hire gear as I suspect its for hotel guests only, not sure.

Good luck and have fun!

cheers,

Robbie :)

Frankers
4 posts
28 Feb 2016 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that Robbie. Yeah it's a bit of a lottery from what I've heard. Unfortunately taking all kit is just not going to be an option... Combining this with a medical school elective as well so taking lots of medical supplies!

Cheers

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
28 Feb 2016 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Just pack as much "medical supplies" as you can into a boogie board bag and then trade it for kite gear when you get there, it's foolproof !!

pepeman
SA, 114 posts
29 Feb 2016 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Frankers you bloomin Pom.
Apparently a windy place has recently been discovered at the very north west tip of Bali.
Its where Bali and Java almost meet.
The wind has a Venturi effect (ie accelerated) as it is squeezed between the two land masses.
Kiting holidays are already being set up by the locals.
Check it out as it is said to be 7 to 9m kites only req. up there.
I have mates going there in May.
I am going to south Lombok in June with a 9m and a surfboard.
Enjoy the massages wherever you go.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Clueless Brit seeking Aussie advice re: Bali/Indo" started by Frankers