Forums > Kitesurfing General

Bummed..

Created by deXtrous > 9 months ago, 16 Nov 2011
deXtrous
NSW, 451 posts
16 Nov 2011 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

So I had an awesome session out at botany bay on Tuesday.. Wind was perfect and I finally got the knack of jumping (somewhat).. I was getting major nipple chafage from my impact vest so I went back to my car to grab an undershirt and on my return I was so stoked and hurried to get back out I jumped (pretty damn hard) on a jagged broken brick/tile.

My foots in pretty bad shape. Hurts to walk or put any pressure really on it. Saw a doc and all he recommended was to wait it out.

Reason for thread? I'm sure some of you guys have messed up your feet on something jagged in the sand over your lives, just curious how long it took to heal or before you were okay to get back out there? Saturdays looking pretty good in the forecast and I wanna be out there

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
16 Nov 2011 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Shouldn't of been wearing a impact vest.

In other news, I knicked my big toe on glass today walking to the beach. I was only out of action for about 10 seconds, had a pretty decent surf in the end (was small though!)

Maybe we should both start wearing reef booties in the car parks!

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
16 Nov 2011 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

That fully sux.

I've ripped my feet on reef a couple of times and tried everything from "spray on skin", elastoplast, bandages, betadine, savalon, yadda yadda .. none worked.

My open wound was getting worse because the water makes it soggy, and it just doesn't heal so well..

Someone introduced me Lucas Paw-Paw (in a red tube/tub from chemist & others).

It's an oily goo, which means water resistent, so bung it on, wrap in your favourite strapping, and you're good to go. It 100% keeps water out of the wound, and also helps it heal without a scar.

Yes, I am a raving fan.

Doesn't instantly fix your foot, but it's a big help.

Best of luck on a fast heal (heel?) .

lucaspapaw.com.au/

deXtrous
NSW, 451 posts
16 Nov 2011 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers laurie, funny you mention lucas paw paw cream. My girlfriend is a major, major advocate and literally wont leave the house without her little tube of paw paw cream. She lives by the stuff so I'll nab some off her next time.

:D :D

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
16 Nov 2011 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

I seems to lay my foot open every 2nd session at Point Walter. Bit of duct tape and get back out. If it doesn't need stitches, it'll be alright with a good clean out when you get home. Clean that **** though.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
16 Nov 2011 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

deXtrous said...

Cheers laurie, funny you mention lucas paw paw cream. My girlfriend is a major, major advocate and literally wont leave the house without her little tube of paw paw cream. She lives by the stuff so I'll nab some off her next time.

:D :D

Ha ha ha .... So true women go mad for that paw paw stuff. Every one I know carries the red tube in their handbag those that don't ....have it at home.
It's bizarre !

Taurus
VIC, 189 posts
16 Nov 2011 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

I feel your pain mate, I hit a beach very hard last Wednesday following a poorly timed kiteloop, badly bruising my heel and opening my knee. Its been a week of ausome wind and I'm still not well enough to get back out there.

kiter zac
QLD, 295 posts
16 Nov 2011 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

i stood on a stingray kiting. out of the water for a few weeks and took the wound 3 months to heal up fully.

pomE
NSW, 164 posts
16 Nov 2011 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Now that is just plain dis-gus-ting...

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
16 Nov 2011 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Bummer on the ray, that just plain sucks, and it hurts like a motha....
Best healer out there after the cut, burn, whatever, is fresh Aloe Vera. Break off a stalk, smear the gooey stuff on, put it in the fridge, and apply every few hours the first day, easing off as the days go.
Test the theory on how well it works. If you deskin yourself in a couple of equal spots, use aloe on one spot, and not on the other. You will be amazed. Keep your plant healthy, and it will keep you healthy.

thorn
WA, 172 posts
16 Nov 2011 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

It's so important to clean the wound completely. In hospitals they use a scrubbing brush to totally clean it. After that use Betadine to kill the germs and keep a plaster on till it feels better. hope this helps.

rod_bunny
WA, 1089 posts
17 Nov 2011 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Not a cut but I smashed my foot kiting in march this year... still not fit for work and been out of work since I did it... not due back until Feb.

Only just now being allowed to do light exercise/physio on it.

Wife has promised to burn my gear if I attempt to get out this season

WA, 1255 posts
17 Nov 2011 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

laurie said...

That fully sux.

I've ripped my feet on reef a couple of times and tried everything from "spray on skin", elastoplast, bandages, betadine, savalon, yadda yadda .. none worked.

My open wound was getting worse because the water makes it soggy, and it just doesn't heal so well..

Someone introduced me Lucas Paw-Paw (in a red tube/tub from chemist & others).

It's an oily goo, which means water resistent, so bung it on, wrap in your favourite strapping, and you're good to go. It 100% keeps water out of the wound, and also helps it heal without a scar.

Yes, I am a raving fan.

Doesn't instantly fix your foot, but it's a big help.

Best of luck on a fast heal (heel?) .

lucaspapaw.com.au/

+1

this stuff absolutely rules. I always keep it handy. At home we call it the magic ointment. I bought it to help with burnt lips but now chuck it on all sorts of things.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
17 Nov 2011 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Aww that sux almost as much as surfinboye's attitude Dexxy.

Best of luck with the recovery and maintain the noob stoke.

Go for the paw paw gear - even better than aloe etc for healing skin.

(And don't listen to any ignorant fks - stick with the vest if it works for you)

dbabicwa
WA, 805 posts
17 Nov 2011 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Wear shoes :)

Never again without one, deep cut open my heel, 4mnths out of water...

Helmet is next, but can't find which I like.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
17 Nov 2011 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

dbabicwa said...

+1.

Anyone have any experiences with the Gath helmets? I have started using a leggy on my surfboard and it tends to fly back at me after big stacks. Also would a kidney support help in any way, and anyone ridden with a mouth guard or would these be dangerous to kite with?

Jeff2231
NSW, 414 posts
17 Nov 2011 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

There's plenty of wakeboarding helmets out there that work. Or use an old snowboard helmet if you have one. I've been using mine on snow, salt water and fresh water for at least 5 years now and it's still going strong.

www.burton.com/us/en/home

Obviously mines an older model, but the red helmets last forever. Mines dinged up from hitting my head on rails and my knees, but it still works.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
17 Nov 2011 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Gaths are good, just remember not to look where your board will be coming from...

deXtrous
NSW, 451 posts
17 Nov 2011 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hey, I aint insecure about my vest ;)

Alright, so here's some baby gore (not literal) for you folks, can't top zac though, ouch. This is a few days in and it's healing well.

So it doesn't look so bad, but the brick/tile itself was broken in a such a way it was alike the point of a very acute cone sticking right out of the sand.

I guess going heelside will be alright.

I was gonna go nick some aloe from my neighbor, but i'll just go with the paw paw cream I guess. Cheers folks

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
17 Nov 2011 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good.

See how the wound is going hard & crinkly? That's where paw-paw is the goodness.

Don't know how it does it, but by keeping that slit coated in paw-paw it will heal faster, stronger and better. .. well kind of .. it will heal better! You won't get the dry gnarly edges on the wound .. pawpaw keeps it moist (in a good way).

Slip some under that big long elastoplast & change every day. *

* No, I'm not a doctor; just had lots of success fast healing wounds with lucas paw paw.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
17 Nov 2011 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

kiter zac said...

i stood on a stingray kiting. out of the water for a few weeks and took the wound 3 months to heal up fully.

... I did the same thing only mine was round the front of the ankle at the same lattitude. Aint no fun for sure and it took 4 months to resemble healed!

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
18 Nov 2011 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

dbabicwa said...

Heaps of previous posts on helmets on SB but my 2c is on the Protec Wake/Ace models.

Stay well away from the Gath original series. I used to have an original Gath series and there is no comparison whatsoever in comfort, safety and effectiveness to the Protecs.

Bonus - I can also hear what is goin on around me - as opposed to the Gath's whistle in a tunnel effect.

Best $120-$140 you will spend.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Bummed.." started by deXtrous