Forums > Kitesurfing General

Boom !

Created by jamesperth > 9 months ago, 5 Mar 2014
jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
5 Mar 2014 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Halfway through a downwinder last Monday, decided at the last minute to dive though a pitching wave rather than get smashed by it and boom.... Destroyed my left eardrum. Saw a GP then ENT today and have a large hole approx 40% of the surface area of the eardrum. 4 weeks expected recovery, no kiting, no water allowed anywhere near my ear. Should heal by itself with no long term damage. I suppose the only upside is it's towards the end of the season. anyone else done this ? Do you reckon a helmet might have helped ? Totally gutted to be honest.

Plummet
4862 posts
5 Mar 2014 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Ahhhh......

VB MAN
1156 posts
5 Mar 2014 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Dude, no offence, but you did not destroy your eardrum.
Blew mine out 90% some years back, (too longa story)
Doc say's below 60% you've got a good chance of it healing itself. True!
Follow the rules and in 4 weeks you'll be fine

oldmic
NSW, 343 posts
5 Mar 2014 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Bad way to finish ya summer!!!
I'm a helmet wearer it's just part of my kit.
It's an old gath, ears are covered I reckon it's gotta be a drum saver.
Amongst every other positive the lid gives.
I hope the time passes quick.......
Cheers.

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
5 Mar 2014 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks VBMan. I guess I'll have to try harder next time :)

nigelw2
VIC, 237 posts
5 Mar 2014 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
? Do you reckon a helmet might have helped ?

Yep.
One of the reasons I wear a helmet is I've got a dodge ear and stacks without a helmet often leave me with a sore ear

Bahnhof
WA, 28 posts
5 Mar 2014 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Perforated my ear drum a few seasons ago after hitting the water very hard...will be pretty uncomfortable for a few weeks, you won't want to be anywhere too noisy or hectic, but all will be fine after!

harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
5 Mar 2014 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Blown my ear drum 3 times. First time was the worst, 90%. Now I can't go deeper than 3 m deep in water.
The only good thing about a blown eardrum is blocking your nose and blowing and hearing the air come out...

A small tear is only a few weeks out of the water, when the doc saw my first perforation he was talking about fixing it with a pig skin graft. I declined..

Ps the second time I blew my ear drum was at city beach and the whole horizon flipped upside down. Scary.

3 rd time was kiting and was back on the water within 2 days with ear plugs and a tennis band to hold the plugs in.

40% is like farting through the eye of a needle. Htfu and get back out there.

harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
5 Mar 2014 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

Run a bath block your nose and blow bubbles under water. Good fun

VB MAN
1156 posts
5 Mar 2014 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jamesperth said..

Thanks VBMan. I guess I'll have to try harder next time :)

Try landing your eff ups on forehead/bridge of nose, like a boxer does.
Then pop out of the water shouting stuff like " C'mon Father Nature, is that the best you got"?
And then as you turn back to look for your board, your kites shadow flies across and you start sh%tting and screaming " SHARK"

I do

belldiver
QLD, 171 posts
5 Mar 2014 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Yep did it when I was 16 surfing, landed on my surfboard and the water pressure broke it.

Could hold my nose, blow and hear bubbles seeping out. Told the doctor and he freaked and told me to never do that.

Kept it dry and put some drops in maybe?? Long time ago. I work now as a commercial diver and never had a problem with it equalising. Been to 200 metres.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
5 Mar 2014 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

didn't do mine on the water, went on the piss for a few days without telling the missus,

iti
QLD, 417 posts
5 Mar 2014 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Vb u no u r 1 crazy mother trucker

VB MAN
1156 posts
5 Mar 2014 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Phil B said..

Perforated my ear drum a few seasons ago after hitting the water very hard...will be pretty uncomfortable for a few weeks, you won't want to be anywhere too noisy or hectic, but all will be fine after!

And on top of that. DO NOT DROP THAT SURFERS EAR DROP/DRY OUT ALCAHOL STUFF INTO YOUR EAR CANAL WHILST YOUR MENDING !!

No matter how itchy it gets and you think the burning smooth of surf eardrops stuffy will help ya.

Don't do it

Mark _australia
WA, 22081 posts
6 Mar 2014 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Block it up with Blu-tac it gives a great seal so u can still kite while it heals.

VB MAN
1156 posts
6 Mar 2014 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Recommend you don't.
You did the crime, now pay the time.
It's only a month.

austin
671 posts
6 Mar 2014 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

did mine in Exmouth a few years ago, get yourself some waterproof ear plugs and ducktape it all up, worked pretty well but had some pain in the jaw for some reason must have been connected,

toughen up!

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
6 Mar 2014 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

soooooooo no one has heard of jumping over it?

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
6 Mar 2014 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
harrysurfer said..
Run a bath block your nose and blow bubbles under water. Good fun

So thats how I get the missus to breathe through her ears!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Boom !" started by jamesperth