Forums > Kitesurfing General

Beginner being upsold to Cabrina Package

Created by Mac12 > 9 months ago, 28 Dec 2012
Mac12
6 posts
28 Dec 2012 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

I've windsurfed for 20 years and ready to try something new. I'm going to have some lessons this weekend and i'm confident I'll be addicted. I've been investigating kite boarding gear to buy and a seller is suggesting a Cabrina package with a 12 metre switchblade for $2,900 and $310 for 4 hour lesson. It's a big investment for me, does this represent good value?

mattyjee
WA, 575 posts
28 Dec 2012 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Personally I'd recommend getting a second hand kite to start with but a new harness. A second hand board would also save you some bucks, but a new twinnie from www.cardboarding.com is too awesome to go past easily.

For example, you could get a 2011-2012 12m for approx $700-$1000.
(Best I could get for my 2011 12m Core GTS was $700 after 1 year for sale)

Cardboards Freeride $920.
New harness - $250 max.

Total $2000ish. Savings of $900. A new kite halves in value the moment you leave the shop.

You probably only really need one lesson - learn the basics and how to self rescue. Take it from there and only book a second lesson if you're not getting the hang of it after a few hours trying yourself.

Edit: Buy a bright coloured board! Mine is white and green - camoflages perfectly with the ocean when bodydragging back after a stack...

Mac12
6 posts
28 Dec 2012 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

mattyjee said...
Personally I'd recommend getting a second hand kite to start with but a new harness. A second hand board would also save you some bucks, but a new twinnie from www.cardboarding.com is too awesome to go past easily.

For example, you could get a 2011-2012 12m for approx $700-$1000.
(Best I could get for my 2011 12m Core GTS was $700 after 1 year for sale)

Cardboards Freeride $920.
New harness - $250 max.

Total $2000ish. Savings of $900. A new kite halves in value the moment you leave the shop.

You probably only really need one lesson - learn the basics and how to self rescue. Take it from there and only book a second lesson if you're not getting the hang of it after a few hours trying yourself.

Edit: Buy a bright coloured board! Mine is white and green - camoflages perfectly with the ocean when bodydragging back after a stack...

Great advice, thanks!!

bermand
WA, 247 posts
28 Dec 2012 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

The switchblade is a great kite for 2k you will get a 2012 switchblade 12m and a Cabrinha chopstick, great learners board new. With a harness thrown in. Just talk to Dan at KA. The good thing about going through the dealer is that the happily trade your gear when you are ready. Their may be cheaper methods, but there is no comeback from buying second hand, especially if you are unsure what to look for in a second hand kite.

iti
QLD, 417 posts
28 Dec 2012 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Mac12 said...

I've windsurfed for 20 years and ready to try something new. I'm going to have some lessons this weekend and i'm confident I'll be addicted. I've been investigating kite boarding gear to buy and a seller is suggesting a Cabrina package with a 12 metre switchblade for $2,900 and $310 for 4 hour lesson. It's a big investment for me, does this represent good value?

2,900 for a new kite just the kite that's sounds wrong

Mac12
6 posts
28 Dec 2012 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2,900 for a new kite just the kite that's sounds wrong

Including Tronic 1.40 and deluxe harness

Eaglelad
VIC, 119 posts
28 Dec 2012 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

As much as I'm a supporter of buying local, the nearest shop for me is over 3 hours. I purchased an 11m cab switchblade and board posted for $1600 online (you don't have to look very hard for similar prices) this far outweighed any support I was going to have to travel 3 hours for. for full retail you woiuld expect free lessons thrown in and make sure it's a 2013 model as they have now been out for months- a handy discount would be expected for an outdated model.
Hope that helps a bit- my next kite will be purchased instore as I'm moving soon and I'm prepared to pay a bit more for something I now know alot more about.

picker
VIC, 431 posts
28 Dec 2012 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Don't need to spend that much money starting out mate.

RedKite
VIC, 66 posts
Thumbs Up

Agree with comments above. This package with a 2012 kite is too expensive.

Added the 2012 cab switchblade, a 140 cab board and a harness to the online shopping cart of one of the advertisers on this site and came $200 cheaper straight away. And this is an AU shop having online and real stores. The 2012 models are reduced now, as the 2013 are already available.

Sure there are even better deals out there, if you consider other brands as well.

Another piece of advise:
Don't use your own kite for lessons.
If it goes wrong, much better it happens to a school kite

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
Thumbs Up

Whatever you do with gear, do not skimp on lessons. Be sure you learn and practise all safety procedures. This includes flagging the kite, fully releasing the kite, self-rescue, upwind body-dragging, self-landing and self-launching.

Quality instruction will save you money as you will be less likely to beat your kite up.

Quality instruction will save you time as you will be confidently up and going sooner.

Quality instruction and a thorough reading of and thinking about the safety and etiquette guidelines and threads on these pages may save you and/or someone else from nasty injury.

It's exciting to get up and riding; it's foolish to do this unless you've already learned what to do when that first, glorious, brief run comes to an end and you and the kite are in the water.

iti
QLD, 417 posts
28 Dec 2012 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
djdojo said...
Whatever you do with gear, do not skimp on lessons. Be sure you learn and practise all safety procedures. This includes flagging the kite, fully releasing the kite, self-rescue, upwind body-dragging, self-landing and self-launching.

Quality instruction will save you money as you will be less likely to beat your kite up.

Quality instruction will save you time as you will be confidently up and going sooner.

Quality instruction and a thorough reading of and thinking about the safety and etiquette guidelines and threads on these pages may save you and/or someone else from nasty injury.

It's exciting to get up and riding; it's foolish to do this unless you've already learned what to do when that first, glorious, brief run comes to an end and you and the kite are in the water.

All great advice

GRunner
QLD, 238 posts
28 Dec 2012 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

www.gumtree.com.au/s-surfing/kitesurf+board+bag/k0c18568

Same kite package on Gum Tree

Mask
WA, 293 posts
28 Dec 2012 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Spending more than 1500 for a new kite is crazy. Do your homework.

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
28 Dec 2012 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds too expensive. You can get a good new kite and board package (e.g. Airush DNA + Airush Twintip) for under $2000. Also, you should be able to get last season's kite models for not more that $1500. First kite I bought (it was new) I got 4 lessons included for free.

A good secondhand kite will save you money, but don't skimp on lessons.

winter
VIC, 155 posts
29 Dec 2012 1:46AM
Thumbs Up

Way too
Much where are you based?

radman4
678 posts
29 Dec 2012 4:55AM
Thumbs Up

Do the lessons first and shop around,once you've done your lessons you'll have a better idea of what you need for the conditions your going to ride in,no one should buy gear before doing lessons.

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
29 Dec 2012 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds a little pricey. do your lesson see how you go than check out the seabreeze buy and sell. your better off with a 2nd hand kite to start off with. there's heaps to choose from in 2nd hand gear.
and you will be hooooooooooked!

DazzaRap
WA, 60 posts
29 Dec 2012 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

some people just snap to it when they take it up. and don't need much instruction. but most people need 3 lessons. Money spent on lessons is better value than money spent on your first set of gear, unless you simply don't have the quids (or aren't allowed to spend them!!!). Make sure the instructor has radio helmets for you to use, because you'll get twice as much out of each lesson.

Dazza

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
29 Dec 2012 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

I agree with some of the advice given here... So here is mine....

have some lessons first, from this you will have a better idea on what the gear is all about, what size etc.

Second hand gear will be much more cost effective, but buyer beware... Some people will sell anything for a quick dollar and tell you anything to secure the sale. The wrong, worn or damaged gear will stunt your progress and enthusiasm or worse still cause you to injure yourself. I would suggest that every second hand kite has stretched lines that need to be adjusted or replaced.

Most good retailers also have good second hand gear or superseded gear. While you will pay a bit more the advice and support is worth it. Kite resale prices seem to half every year, e.g. $2000 new, $1000 secondhand a year later, $500 another year later...

Second hand gear pricing is dictated by the market not The owners opinion of its worth, there is enough gear here on Seabreeze to be able to determine what is a fair price once you know what you are looking for... IMO gear advertised on eBay or Gumtree will be overpriced and targeted towards the uninitiated..

Good luck.

holgs
WA, 295 posts
29 Dec 2012 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

You can learn just as easily on a board from 2008 for $200 as you can on a new board for $1000. Beginner boards have not changed that much

Mac12
6 posts
29 Dec 2012 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Melbourne

winter
VIC, 155 posts
29 Dec 2012 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Mac12 said...
Melbourne

if in the west drop in to KSS Altona if central st kilda the zu or kite republic
Elwood rps sandringham SHQ mornington Trent at peninsula kiteboarding
Talk to them about lessons first and if you buy you're gear through them you will get you're lessons for peanuts

Good luck

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
29 Dec 2012 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

When you got your licence did you go out and buy a new car? Buy a 2010 or later 2nd hand kite, buy new after you stop trashing it..

JJB
QLD, 115 posts
29 Dec 2012 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

when i got my first kite I got upsold and got top of the line stuff, after 2 years nothing on the kite broke and I traded it in. Can't beat brand new.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
30 Dec 2012 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

mattyjee said...

Cmon Matty - bad advice.
See djodjo's breakdown of why lessons pay for themselves.
Trial & error learning of the basics makes it an unnecessarily long slow road.
Most schools offer serious discounts of lesson fees against buying your kit.
The time you most need good advice is when buying your first kit and your instructor is the person best situated to advise.
We regularly do the full IKO/BKSA teaching program and including all new top quality kit for around $2400.
Way cheaper 2nd hand but its always 'the right' 2nd hand.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
30 Dec 2012 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds expensive, I think my local give you a credit for your lesson towards new gear, they used to anyway....

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Beginner being upsold to Cabrina Package" started by Mac12