Forums > Kitesurfing General

Backpain during the winter

Created by raffaeu > 9 months ago, 15 Nov 2012
raffaeu
195 posts
15 Nov 2012 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, I am 34 old and I spent few years windsurfing.
Now I moved into kitesurf and I am also going to the gym 3 times a week.
I live in Netherlands, which is cold and pretty humid.
Sometimes (2-3 times a year) I have this back issue. The muscle that goes straight down the left side of my back start to hurt like hell. Sometimes I get also back strain and I have to go to the physio for few weeks in order to remove the pain.
Do you suggest any good exercise I can practice in the gym to avoid this problem? What it sucks is the convalescence. If I get a back strain, I can't kite for the entire month before I get back in shape.
I guess I am getting old, which sucks a lot!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
15 Nov 2012 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

www.kiteboardingexercises.com, awsome website covering pre and post injuries from kiting with exercise videos, well worth a look , but generally you need a good solid core strength if you want to push your kiting,

SpaceCoyote
VIC, 147 posts
16 Nov 2012 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Anything in particular causes the issue? Is it kiting or weight training or something else? Finding the cause of the issue will allow you to take steps to remedy it.

I'm 34 as well, no major injuries, but in general any problem I encounter is caused by lifting too heavy. I have to remember I am not in my 20s and the body can't handle that much stress anymore.

eoin
6 posts
16 Nov 2012 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Yep suffer from this also, Irish weather doesn't help, I had back strain for years then culminated in a bulging disk , but I was the opposite to you in that the back injury I had was what inspired me to start kiting - back on topic found yoga on the wii really good but i only do certain excercises I'm practically pain free now (I'm 36) but am really cautious about what and how I lift,sit, etc etc

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
16 Nov 2012 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

Now and then I suffer from something similar and what I do is wear my Harness Shorts for a coupe of days. Pain goes away and then I go back to waist Pat Love Quest which is the one I found better fits me.

The pain may be caused by a variety of issues, including the style of riding, or something as simple as how you sit in your chair at work. If your back is not aligned all sorts of stuff creep in. Of course I am not discounting real muscle and structural injuries

http://www.kitepower.com.au/dakine-nitrous-shorts-2011.html - for the cost of it it is well worth it. And if you combine the shorts with a www.kitepower.com.au/dynabar-v5.html you'll have even less pain.

Horses for courses, but anyway this is my 2 cents based on what I go through..

Good luck, V

Plummet
4862 posts
16 Nov 2012 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

think you need to see a doctor bro!

raffaeu
195 posts
20 Nov 2012 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

I think you guys are right. I lift too much doing my chin-up at the gym and I guess I should lower the weight.
It looks like a back strain which is now gone.
About the yoga I totally agree, when I attend yoga (once a week) I don't have any issues for the rest of the week.
Probably I should start the combination: less weight + yoga.
Thanks for the info!

Haydn24
QLD, 473 posts
21 Nov 2012 1:10AM
Thumbs Up

At the gym, try and strengthen the muscle through compound lifts (start off light though!!). I suggest dead lifts and bent over rows. These will help your stabilizing muscles and prevent back strains a bit more..

Cheers

raffaeu
195 posts
21 Nov 2012 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Haydn, I'll give it a try.

the gibbo
WA, 776 posts
23 Nov 2012 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

You can be massivly strong(gym weight strength) but if you have little or flexibilty you will strain really easy.

Yoga/pilates will sort it for sure, i am 40 and have been in various states of fitness over the last 10 years, the best i have ever felt is yoga(bikram) twice a week at least and swimming/running(not to much) or bike. You will build strength and flexibility.
Have had back problems all my life cos i am a tall skinny freak but nothing at all with this combo. Dont do the gym anymore.

Watch your hydration, if you get dehydrated(hungover etc) a chiro explained a definate correlation between this and weakness in the spine, its something to with cushioning(cant remember tech term) around the disks which have a supportive effect when hydrated but fail when dehydrated, a friend of mine is the same aswell.
Good luck

AquaPlow
QLD, 1050 posts
23 Nov 2012 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Raffaeu - prevention is obviously the key. However once you have strained / sprained / torn a muscle / structure - then the key to a quicker recovery is being able to fully relax overnight (when sleeping). I use both groups of painkillers / relaxants - totally following Dr's recommended approach - not holding back because I do not normally take pills
Last time I did my back I was given a brief dose of steriods - Pregnisolin - talk about perfomance enhancing drugs - I need help putting on socks & undies in the morning saw the physio' then doctor - the next morning I dressed myself (phew!!) and took the dog for a shuffle down at the beach..

Cheers

AP

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Backpain during the winter" started by raffaeu