Forums > Kitesurfing General

Australian Kite Surfari pics and info

Created by Hybrid_Z > 9 months ago, 2 Jul 2015
Hybrid_Z
VIC, 381 posts
2 Jul 2015 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

It seems to be that time of the year where “Winter Escape” threads are popping up so I figured I’d throw up some pictures and my opinion of the Australian Kite Surfari in Queensland, might be helpful to a few people. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks up north with Ant and Paulie and i have to say that the place has exceeded my expectations, and they were pretty high due to the positive reviews I’ve read. First up the camp is a premium setup, very comfortable nicely set up water tank rooms (awesome idea). The common room is a nice little setup and a great place to escape the wind (it’ll get to that stage!) and the showers and dunnys are as good as what you’ll get in a hotel. It really does have everything you need, plenty of places to kick back when you need a rest from kiting. Food is also top notch, big brekkies and varied dinners washed down with a couple of cold beers. After that kicking back by the fire or checking out the stars is a top way to end the day.

The location is awesome. The tidal lagoon can be a bit choppy on the high tide but on the changing tide it’s a great location, butter flat areas can be found at the right times. Outside the lagoon the wind whips up some great little ramps which are awesome if you’re in to big air. My favourite is to kite the lagoon as the tide goes out then hit up the ramps on low tide. Great fun. The wind cranks, there hasn’t been a windless day since I’ve been here. Most days have been 7/9m days with a few 11m days thrown in, generally ~25-30 knots. The water is generally nice and clear, not the muddy crap you get in cairns. The exception being when some really heavy weather comes through and stirs things up.

If you’re in to buggying the sand flats at low tide are great fun, good alternative if you need a change from the water. Fishing is meant to be alright too but I haven’t had a chance to confirm that. Plenty of animals to keep you entertained too with 4 dogs and a little pig……yep, something different. Overall I’d have to say the place is well worth the price. Solid wind, transfers from Cairns, great company, quality company, choice food and top facilities. Hope this helps a few people out with their winter holiday decision!

GMK-KiteSurf
NSW, 128 posts
2 Jul 2015 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

I've Already Booked. Looking forward to it !!!

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
2 Jul 2015 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Soon keen for my trip. Im glad iv order a 7m, especially for it.

Question, how long dose it take to get there from cairns?

Hybrid_Z
VIC, 381 posts
2 Jul 2015 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Takes about 5 hours. You should arrive around midday. The way things are going your 7 should get a workout

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
2 Jul 2015 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hybrid_Z said...
Takes about 5 hours. You should arrive around midday. The way things are going your 7 should get a workout

Hmm I'm heading up for that freestyle camp with drury. Probably not then best with to try new stuff but so keen.

5 hours, dam. I'm driving up to cairns, that's going to take 14 hours haha.

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
2 Jul 2015 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

You'll be fine mate! As long as the wind is consistent you'll actually have an easier time learning tricks. Smaller kites slack more!

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
2 Jul 2015 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Drury said...
You'll be fine mate! As long as the wind is consistent you'll actually have an easier time learning tricks. Smaller kites slack more!

How many other's are coming on out trip drury?

fingerbone
NSW, 921 posts
2 Jul 2015 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Yea great place...Been twice....just a little advice take your big kites too.

Beersy
TAS, 753 posts
2 Jul 2015 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome pics- What gear were you using for the low light/ Star shots?

Hybrid_Z
VIC, 381 posts
2 Jul 2015 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Nikon D600 with a Nikon 16 -35 f4

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
2 Jul 2015 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Matt - awesome pics and a solid review !! I had the best time 2 weeks ago and nailed a few new tricks but now back in the Vic "summer" and 10 deg air temp just doesn't cut it in the fun factor any more !! To those on their way up north to Ants and Paulys north of Cooktown - Im so jealous !! Like Hybrid said - its awesome !!
As far as kite size goes - Im 90 kg and was on my 11m Bandit 7 kite all the time but that said we had a quiet week and the week before my 8 m would have been a better choice so Ant suggested. Basically work on a range of 15 to 30 knots and take kites to cover those conditions for your body weight and style and you will have it nailed - ask Ant closer to your trip and he will be able to give you more accurate info :-)

skywalker3d
VIC, 228 posts
3 Jul 2015 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the post dude. Great info and pics. I'm looking at doing a group trip next year can't wait. Cheers.

Hybrid_Z
VIC, 381 posts
4 Jul 2015 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fingerbone said...
Yea great place...Been twice....just a little advice take your big kites too.

Yeah for sure. Sessions on the big kites are ace here.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
27 Jul 2015 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Looks awesome. 10 days till I'm there!

What's the water temp? I herd it's been quite chilli (for us queenslanders)?

BurkeyBoy
QLD, 549 posts
27 Jul 2015 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

That's Chris in pic 2 (just above) from here in Hervey Bay (and Paul in pic 3). The guy only started a little while back and seems to have really progressed, trip seems to have done him the world of good whilst we've been restricted to SUP back home

sandblaster
QLD, 32 posts
27 Jul 2015 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Had a fantastic week. The wind just didn't stop blowing 24/7. Was loving the
25-30 knots after usual 10 knots in Hervey Bay this time of year.

Yeah young Chris's progression was amazing as was a 12 year olds (young dude with blue helmet) on the trip. Left me behind.
My excuse for not progressing was that I was just hanging on for dear life - having
too much fun just boosting....(and the fact I'm an old fart).

Was a bit cooler than expected due to that antartic blast that came through but
still only had rashie and shorts. Clear shallow water, clean sand...mmm

Get up early-kite, have cooked breakfast-kite, have cooked lunch-kite, have cooked tea-crash.

Great get-away, great hosts, great food, and of-course great kiting- I'll be back.

ps Matt the photographer takes great shots as seen above...

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
28 Jul 2015 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

agree with Sandblaster! Eat, kite, repeat for days on end is great for the soul.

Thanks Ant & Paully for a great holiday and see you next year.

We had a great group of 9 for our stay and having photos to remind us of these good times is great. Thanks Matt

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
18 Aug 2015 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Best trip iv had. Even tho the wind didn't blow every day. I think I had more fun on the days it didn't blow. From being dropped off on a coral kay and catching trout after trout. To hiking threw the rain forest and swimming under a waterfall. And when the wind was light those buggy's are faarking fun.
I think everyone should give this place a try at least once.

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
18 Aug 2015 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..
Best trip iv had. Even tho the wind didn't blow every day. I think I had more fun on the days it didn't blow. From being dropped off on a coral kay and catching trout after trout. To hiking threw the rain forest and swimming under a waterfall. And when the wind was light those buggy's are faarking fun.

Was such a good time mate!

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
19 Aug 2015 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Drury said..

kemp90 said..

Was such a good time mate!

was so good.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
20 Aug 2015 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Haha if I could change my profile name, I would changing it to JB for sure lol. And dare I say it, but i kind of miss the pig lol

kitemarc
NSW, 23 posts
23 Aug 2015 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely keen for one of these, when i get some spare cash!!

Hybrid_Z
VIC, 381 posts
23 Aug 2015 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..
Haha if I could change my profile name, I would changing it to JB for sure lol. And dare I say it, but i kind of miss the pig lol

I reckon shes already packed on 10kg since you were here!

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
24 Aug 2015 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hybrid_Z said...
kemp90 said..

I reckon shes already packed on 10kg since you were here!

That's outrageous

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
30 Aug 2015 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Just got back from a four day session up at AKS and can say that all the awesome reviews above are right on the money. Ant and Paully are great hosts with a fantastic set up that really delivers for all your kitesurfing needs. The accommodation is great, the food is awesome it blows day and night and some of the flat water sections are like glass. I left there with only one regret and that was that I did not book the full seven days.

I can recommend getting a crew of seven or eight keen kiters together and heading up for a trip, you will have a blast.

Thanks again AKS for the awesome trip, great company and the lashings of Flyday Love Juice! (and if you want to know what that is, you are just gonna have to book a trip).

Cheers

Chris

ashkiter
QLD, 431 posts
2 Sep 2015 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Cant go wrong with kitesurfari. Im a cairns local and head up at least twice a year. Accom has come a long way (can send you pics from 2009 if you want to see progression at its best). Wind is great, perfect place to master strapless back rolls

moons
WA, 349 posts
3 Sep 2015 5:26AM
Thumbs Up

^^Nice one ashkiter^^

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
3 Sep 2015 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

LOL Ash, in the last pic that board looks like its got your name written on it

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General