Forums > Kitesurfing General

Ask before they touch it! (Pallarenda or anywhere)

Created by Kazan > 9 months ago, 25 Mar 2013
Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
25 Mar 2013 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

I went out yesterday at Pallarenda and stupid me sees a kiter sitting watching the action next to his kite. So I naturally ask him to help me launch. Little did I know (I didn't know!) that he was not even a beginner but well... a nice guy wanting to know the sport I guess. Well... why not bring your kite to the beach and see the action? I guess. But when he lifted my kite, without me giving the thumbs up or any signal he just throws it into the wind (yes UP WIND!). I shout... Hey... wait!! He does it again. Luckily I have some self launch experience, so I take over and self launch it whilst it's upright. And luckily it was under 20knots!

I did politely "educate" him for next time.

Haydn24
QLD, 473 posts
25 Mar 2013 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Mmm yeah be careful, a lot of people see kiters launch each other and think they can do it just from "monkey see, monkey do"... Same with landing...

Might see ya out there this arvo if it picks up

Eaglelad
VIC, 119 posts
25 Mar 2013 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

the EXACT same thing happened to me last week- except he had a harness and everything on. Just reminds you not to become complacent and spend the 30 seconds to chat with your launcher! I had a little rethink about it all afterwards and I've never had a botched self launch....

Adrenalin Rush
QLD, 876 posts
25 Mar 2013 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

You need to hire one of these.

Plummet
4862 posts
25 Mar 2013 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

yeah,

if your don't know the guy just say.

"don't let go until I give you the thumbs up"

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
25 Mar 2013 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

I totally empathise with your situation. I've had kiters who should know better give me bum launches. Recently a girl on St Kilda beach launched my kite before I'd even attached the leash or hooked in! I was still walking around into position. So my kite went bouncing down the beach only to be tackled by a guy 100 m downwind. Girl was so embarrassed she didn't even apologise, just vapourised...

Bazinga
QLD, 63 posts
25 Mar 2013 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

I have had a few total bystanders that know nothing about kiting help me launch.......they are usually just standing there enjoying the spectacle of the kites. If you take a few minutes to show them how to roll the kite on it's side, how to lay it back down if something is wrong......and mention 3-4 times not to let go until you give them the thumbs up.........they really enjoy the fact they are able to get up close and personal with a kite, ask a few questions and help someone out to boot.........I get my kite launched in "relative" safely and get to share the kiting stoke.......win/win!

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
26 Mar 2013 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Bazinga said...
I have had a few total bystanders that know nothing about kiting help me launch.......they are usually just standing there enjoying the spectacle of the kites. If you take a few minutes to show them how to roll the kite on it's side, how to lay it back down if something is wrong......and mention 3-4 times not to let go until you give them the thumbs up.........they really enjoy the fact they are able to get up close and personal with a kite, ask a few questions and help someone out to boot.........I get my kite launched in "relative" safely and get to share the kiting stoke.......win/win!

+1

I will from now on and have learnt from the experience. Yeah I love the feeling seeing them smile feeling good about being close to a kite and to actually touch and not just look from the edge. Awesome feeling, but yeah... I need to be more diligent and ask them first to be sure.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Ask before they touch it! (Pallarenda or anywhere)" started by Kazan