Forums > Kitesurfing General

Arthoscopic knee surgery

Created by toppleover > 9 months ago, 14 Dec 2011
toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
14 Dec 2011 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

According to a MRI scan I have a slight tear to the meniscus L knee, options are to have arthroscopic surgery or of course HTFU!!! but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be going away.(had it for 10 mths)
Also have been told its 4 weeks recovery time, so is it reasonable to think i,ll be back in the water after just 4 weeks?

Any kiters out there who have had the surgery & had a good result,also how long were you off the water.??

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
14 Dec 2011 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

What are your symptoms?

I've got a problem with my right knee at the moment (pain at back of knee when edging hard) but given I've just had an MRI on my left hip (separate issue & poss surgery for that (FK)) I'm not 100% excited by more/additional surgery on my knee....

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
14 Dec 2011 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Pain right under the knee cap, the pain is much worse when riding strapped & boosting....ride mostly unstrapped now.

Just booked in for surgery next week

Subculture
443 posts
14 Dec 2011 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

If you're already booked in for surgery, this may come a bit late - but to me, pain under the kneecap could very easily be 'Patellofemoral Syndrome'. I've worked with and treated it in a lot of people. I'll not go into causes and treatments but if it is that, it can be treated without any need for surgery.. Do a quick Google search; a good physio site will explain symptoms etc. You'll need to find a good site to explain effective treatment though.

I see you're in QLD. I don't know anyone to recommend over there. Did you see a physio or just the Doc? Try to find a GOOD sports physio, especially if they work with athletes. Any AFL physios nearby perhaps?

A lot of people in the population have small tears in the meniscus and have no symptoms - i.e. have no idea the tear is even there. The tear showing on your MRI may not be the cause of your pain..

I'd hate you to be going under the knife for no real reason... I personally had a tear about 12 months ago but rehabbed it myself rather that go down the surgery route. Luckily I knew what to do due to my background but it's not hard if you're determined It's too long a story for here and you've got to know what to do but PM me if you can't get any help over there or need some advice.

Good luck!

ezza
NSW, 561 posts
14 Dec 2011 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

This is probably one in a million, but i knew a guy when i was working in recruitment in Darwin who needed an arthroscopy after falling off his postie bike and injuring his knee. He was employed by my agency. He went in for the op, and all was well afterwards, and he was back swimming and fishing soon afterwards (maybe too soon). A week or so after the op the site became infected, and shortly after, within a day, he was in hospital in a critical condition. He had contracted a serious tropical infection that the doctors said was likely from the ocean. It was a flesh-eating bacteria and over the next fortnight he had 11 operations and died on the operating table 4 or 5 times, and they removed a large part of his leg from ankle to hip. He did end up fighting it off and recovering, albeit with a massive scar, and lost most of the use of his leg, though still able to walk. We retrained him and he came to work for us. He was apparently one of only a couple of known similar cases in the world at the time.

robbo1111
NSW, 619 posts
14 Dec 2011 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Had surgery on the 9th September, I was back on the water after 6 weeks - kiting on a surfboard and windsurfing. Does pull up a bit stiff afterwards so plenty of ice packs and voltarens. Make sure you do the physio to build up your thigh muscles because they pretty much waste away immediately.

Thomo
WA, 204 posts
14 Dec 2011 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Had surgury 15th August for the same injury but while they were in there they did a few other things and still not been able to kite. Tried to kite after 5 weeks the operation and put it back months still cant go out on the water and I have done it all to get better, Physio, rest, deep tissue massage and still looking at getting on the water in the new year...every one had a different out come...be patient or you will make the recovery time triple..Good luck and a speedy recovery to ya........

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
14 Dec 2011 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

ezza said...

This is probably one in a million, but i knew a guy when i was working in recruitment in Darwin who needed an arthroscopy after falling off his postie bike and injuring his knee. He was employed by my agency. He went in for the op, and all was well afterwards, and he was back swimming and fishing soon afterwards (maybe too soon). A week or so after the op the site became infected, and shortly after, within a day, he was in hospital in a critical condition. He had contracted a serious tropical infection that the doctors said was likely from the ocean. It was a flesh-eating bacteria and over the next fortnight he had 11 operations and died on the operating table 4 or 5 times, and they removed a large part of his leg from ankle to hip. He did end up fighting it off and recovering, albeit with a massive scar, and lost most of the use of his leg, though still able to walk. We retrained him and he came to work for us. He was apparently one of only a couple of known similar cases in the world at the time.

Similar infection at Exmouth once from about as small a coral graze as you imagine. Didnt bleed at all just a slight red patch on the knee. No bad consequences as above for me but I still spent 7 days in hospital and was only one treatment away from leg amputation.

One swipe with an alcohol/dettol swab could have avoided all the grief. Keep a few in your boardy pocket in the tropics. I certainly do!

Troyrotor
QLD, 318 posts
14 Dec 2011 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

I had a large tearthat i put up with for over a year untill wakeboarding oneday did a big tantrum and because the muscle had faded away because my other leg was taking up the work. I ended up falling funny and tore it again.

Anyway so i had a huge tear and my previous tear had been chewed up by my knee bones and was floating around the back of my knee just under the skin.
The new tear had to be trimmed and sewn and the old tear trimmed.

I was told 6 weeks.......
Cruches for 8 weeks, knee brace for 3months and wasnt able to start racing sailing dingies again for over 9 months. I had physio every 2 weeks. I did a worlds about 6 months after and it was still dodgy.
Its still pretty bad but before the surgery i couldnt bend my knee, as in squat or come close without alotof pain or poping the tear out the side, i used to get a big lump when i felt like my knee was out. That was the cartilidge.

Anyway i got mine fixed through public, my mri scan was a six month wait and another six for surgery. So it was a long time all up.
If your were to go private dr kuhnemann if you are on the goldcoast, he is somehow related to my gf, and her grandpa got his miniscal tear fixed by him.

Oh and im only 21 at the moment and my surgery was two years ago.
Trustme you wont be kiting in 5 weeks

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
14 Dec 2011 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feed back so far.
Surely someone out there has a happy ending to their knee surgery?

ANYONE???

Kurt Savage
QLD, 138 posts
14 Dec 2011 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Knee surgery through key hole - torn meniscus (Chonroidal flap?)
Sore for a week, stiff for a few weeks, able to take kiting at about 6 weeks, didn't feel confident for taking full on pressure for a couple of months.

Prince Charles Private - Tony Ganko, 2008?

Troyrotor
QLD, 318 posts
14 Dec 2011 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Kurt that sounds much nicer than mine. I suppose mine was pretty nasty

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
14 Dec 2011 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Think I will cancel the surgery for now and try to find another way to deal with the knee, & if that doesn't work have the Op in the off season.

Thanks everyone for the info & PMs.

Also good luck to the guys that have been under the knife & still recovering, hope your back on the water soon.

Cheers, Top

Weta
WA, 891 posts
14 Dec 2011 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Juddy said...

What are your symptoms?

I've got a problem with my right knee at the moment (pain at back of knee when edging hard) but given I've just had an MRI on my left hip (separate issue & poss surgery for that (FK)) I'm not 100% excited by more/additional surgery on my knee....

Get a new wettie and all your pains will be fixed

Edgeguts
WA, 69 posts
14 Dec 2011 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

toppleover said...

Thanks for the feed back so far.
Surely someone out there has a happy ending to their knee surgery?

ANYONE???

Ive had 2 on each knee, i was back at work after a week because i had too being a roof chippy at the time, have had a niggle in my left knee for a while now but i'll wait til this seasons over if it ever bloody starts

DutchRooster
NSW, 325 posts
15 Dec 2011 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Had pain in my left knee for months, couldn't sleep and my knee would give way often. Caused me to fall down the stairs a few times etc. After a few doctor appointments I went for a scan: tiny tear but massive tendon inflammation (patella tendonidis). No op, but took 2 months of physio therapy and I still use ice packs regularly when I feel the dull pain coming back after a particularly hard session...

The tear didn't show up in my last scan, so the physio therapy must have done the trick.

HTH

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
15 Dec 2011 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

toppleover said...

According to a MRI scan I have a slight tear to the meniscus L knee, options are to have arthroscopic surgery or of course HTFU!!! but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be going away.(had it for 10 mths)
Also have been told its 4 weeks recovery time, so is it reasonable to think i,ll be back in the water after just 4 weeks?

Any kiters out there who have had the surgery & had a good result,also how long were you off the water.??

Mate, if it is a slight tear, I wouldn't be considering surgery, I'd be hitting up a physio and getting onto a course of rehab. An ex of mine who is a physio said to me surgery should be your last resort, as it does more damage getting the arthroscope in and out of the site.

I guess only you know how sore it is but I would be getting a series of exercises to do off a physio and being disciplined about it, doing them 5-6 times a week to stabilise your knee. The upside being, if surgery is the route you end up going down, you have a nice strong stable knee and recovery will be faster.

Also, you won't be killing your kite season, although being in QLD, I believe it's backwards to the Southern States anyway

Poida
WA, 1914 posts
15 Dec 2011 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

i had 20% removed from the meniscus in my left knee. had minor problems for a year before then playing basketball one night completed the tear. Thing is i went surfing in bali before the op, but was cautious.

I could surf 6 weeks after the op, but nothing radical, but it was my front leg, so no twisting. I heard that AFL players can play after six weeks, which i thought would have been very optimistic. was back at work hobbling after one day. after six months it seems fine. I reckon maybe 8 weeks for kiting, you just have to take it easy for the first few months

Gorgo
VIC, 4909 posts
15 Dec 2011 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

I had tears to the meniscus some years ago. It was quite painful driving and excruciating when I got out of the car after a trip.

Had the surgery and it was good as new. I was under orders to be careful for 6 weeks. In reality it was fine almost straight away. I obeyed the doctor's orders ... mostly.

Some years later I got some more intermittent knee pain. I went to the same surgeon. He asked if the pain was persistent or if it went away. I said it went away. He said come back and see me when it doesn't go away. It's been fine since.

So, if your surgeon is any good and you trust him then do what he says. Certainly all the orthopoedic surgeons I have spoken to will only cut as a last resort.

Whether you can kite after 6 weeks is up to you. I can edge and pop and all that. Lots of load and hard work. I can also cruise on a directional and carve around with virtually no strain on my body at all. It depends on the weather and my mood.

The other side of all this is that I am in my mid-50s. Things start to hurt once you pass 50 and there is nothing you can do about it. Just keep fit. Have fun. Don't moan too much when the pain hits.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
15 Dec 2011 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Had 70% of medial meniscus removed 7 months ago and it's still slowly improving. Was kiting after 2 months but not really loading until 4 or 5.

The meniscus won't heal, and if a bit is flapping about it can make it get worse.

Surgery is expensive and painful but is better than letting it deteriorate further.

(I've heard that for young people, less than 25, there are some new rehab options, but didn't pursue them as I'm too old for the tissue to have the necessary regenerative capacities.)

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
15 Dec 2011 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

djdojo said...

Had 70% of medial meniscus removed 7 months ago and it's still slowly improving. Was kiting after 2 months but not really loading until 4 or 5.

The meniscus won't heal, and if a bit is flapping about it can make it get worse.

Surgery is expensive and painful but is better than letting it deteriorate further.

(I've heard that for young people, less than 25, there are some new rehab options, but didn't pursue them as I'm too old for the tissue to have the necessary regenerative capacities.)

Whilst the meniscus generally has poor healing capacities (depending exactly where the tears is because there is some blood supply to the outer rim) it is not exactly true that doing nothing is going to make it worse/untreatable. Studies have shown that every time you surgically enter a joint you speed up degenerative processes just by making the incisions alone so sometimes its a hard call to make particularly for the younger riders as early surgery normally leads to more surgery down the track. Sometimes you can't avoid it and need it done which is all fine but like most others have said you are doing yourself a favour to exhaust all other options first.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Arthoscopic knee surgery" started by toppleover