Forums > Kitesurfing General

Are you a Windsurfer or a Kitesurfer?

Created by PeterPaan > 9 months ago, 5 Apr 2013
PeterPaan
NSW, 66 posts
6 Apr 2013 2:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Everyone in the Windsurfing or Kitesurfing community!!!

Occasionally I have been quietly enjoying the bantering between Kitesurfers and Windsurfers about how many of us are there, who is better, which is easier to learn....etc etc etc. And I thought to myself, do we really know how big of a community we are??

So I have put together a simple survey to help us get some basic answers about ourselves as a community. The link to the survey:

www.esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx?id=350e290b-6b91-44de-bebd-d93f54770c1b

This will take you about 55 seconds to complete maximum, and once I have put it together I will put the results back here for us all to share!

(for those of you who are academics) I don't think this method is complete in getting the entire picture, but I think there is a decent amount of activity on these forums that we could be representative of our windsurfing or kitesurfing community.

Please, please, please.....this survey is NOT a competition across communities. And please only complete the survey ONCE, or the results will be affected. There is no right or wrong, and there is no better or worse in these results, it is only so we know what our community looks like in general.

I will sum up these results in 2 weeks time, or earlier if I feel that there is really only dwindling responses after the early stages. I will also publish these in both the Windsurf and the Kitesurfing community forums so we can share the findings.

Thankyou and I look forward to getting your responses!!

Watto5
WA, 87 posts
6 Apr 2013 1:13AM
Thumbs Up

Tough to answer if you do (and like) both.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
6 Apr 2013 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

done...

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
6 Apr 2013 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

... me too!

PeterPaan
NSW, 66 posts
6 Apr 2013 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

Yes...and sorry there are a couple of oversight on my part......the survey would be better to:

1. have age group
2. have a category for you who actually DO BOTH
3. there was no bracket for 0 - 15 knots (and I suppose > 0 knots is probably not reflective of some of you who go out on 10 - 15 knots)

I will try to improve it.....but it will have to be a Poll in maybe 6 months time

Anyway......just an INTERIM update (AS A GROUP, not by Windsurfer/Kitesurfer):

- There are around 87 reports so far at this time
- 94.25% are Boys
- Just about 50/50 Windsurfers and Kitesurfers
- Most of you sail from 15 knots and up
- Flat water vs Waves sailing a bit too early to tell.....but 20% of you USUALLY sail in the Open Sea, with One person who claims to sail in conditions which is "Too extreme to describe"!!
- 72.41% of you will (or can) sail on Weekday or Weekends as long as the conditions are right!!! (I am clearly in the wrong job!!!)
- 64 % of you have never switched from to/from Windsurf or Kitesurf
- 30 out of 34 people who have switched are people who started out as windsurfers (and within this group, 7 have gone back to Windsurfing)
- 83% of people did not see a need to switch from their current sailing type to another in the future, with 14% "Maybe", and 2% "Yes" (this question I need to further examine later, because I need to be able to show how this compares between Windsurfers and Kitesurfers)
- About half of you have seen a shark of some description!!!! Although one of you said that he/she saw one "Wrapped up in Batter"!
- For those who have responded, NSW and WA are equal with 26.4%, followed by Queensland (20%) and Vic (14.9%). There are 3 individuals who sail in the ACT.

I will update again later this weekend ......!!

kitingtopher
SA, 313 posts
6 Apr 2013 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

saad ploy to find secret spots....

PeterPaan
NSW, 66 posts
6 Apr 2013 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

153 responses and counting!! Thanks guys....

stamp
QLD, 2757 posts
6 Apr 2013 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

PeterPaan said...

with One person who claims to sail in conditions which is "Too extreme to describe"!!

plummet...

Watto5
WA, 87 posts
7 Apr 2013 2:41AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting results - well done for the initiative.

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
7 Apr 2013 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

can the results be published later.

be interesting to know, what the trends are.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
8 Apr 2013 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

So do 90% of windsurfers have mouth guards in their pillows?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Are you a Windsurfer or a Kitesurfer?" started by PeterPaan