Forums > Kitesurfing General

Ankle / foot injuries

Created by Andresao > 9 months ago, 31 Mar 2016
Andresao
11 posts
31 Mar 2016 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

I create this topic in substitution to the topic "Ankle / foot injuries" which expired.

Andresao
11 posts
31 Mar 2016 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

I will respond to some things you guys were asking about:

I am currently recovering from a grade 2 ankle sprain which I suffered a bit more than a month ago. I am currently under physio treatment, I should be back on the water in 3 weeks at the most.

1. I injured my ankle wearing BOOTS! Since it has been discussed here I respond that they do not guarantee to prevent your foot to get injured. This said, I do believe that ankle related, boots are better than straps.

2. Additionaly I have to say also responding to some guys here that BOOTS do make it easyer for you knees to get injured.
This is explained by saying that boots restrict the degrees of freedom of your ankle, so all the stress applied to your leg will be supported by your knee (meaning also that your ankle will suffer less stress).

NOTE: I ride the RONIX PARKS, which are one of the softer bindings in the RONIX range, this might have had something to do, stiffer boots protect more your ankle, but put more stress on your knees.

CONCLUSION: I think I'll go for boots again when I go back to the water in order to better protect my ankle, but I might go back to straps when I'm fully healed because as said by some riders in the former topic, I'd rather injure my ankle than my knee.

axion
VIC, 144 posts
31 Mar 2016 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Knees are designed to cope with far greater stresses than ankles. Your ankle is one of the most complex joints in the body and once it is stuffed that is it. Knee and hip replacements are common place athletes get these done all the time and return to full activity, an equivalent ankle injury would likely be career ending. If you want to protect anything then protect your ankle your knees etc will be fine. I had a full ankle reconstruction 18 months ago, I will never run again ( I used to run regularly 30k a week) but kiting is fine, ankle gets a bit sore as it is now arthritic but not too bad. I wear boots all the time for security, basicly the orthopaedic surgeon said if I seriously injured it again I would be walking with a cane. That's my 2c, I don't think it is worth the risk. Otherwise if you don't like boots then try strapless surfboard as an option but you would probably still want to wear a brace for protection.

Andresao
11 posts
1 Apr 2016 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you for your reply axion! I understand what you said, I will bear it in mind :)

Regarding boots, I love them! the kiting is much more stylish and landings are much easier and solid.
The only things that concerned me were knee injury (which I've seen in several freestyle kiting friends) and all the brutal back stretching/pulling when you have a big wipeout when failing wakestyle tricks.
But I might give them a second chance! :)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Ankle / foot injuries" started by Andresao