Forums > Kitesurfing General

Airmanship

Created by duneskimmer > 9 months ago, 19 Sep 2014
duneskimmer
NSW, 3 posts
19 Sep 2014 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Kitesurfing and Hangliding on coastal sites is generally ok with the exception of some Kitesurfers who like to skim the shallow waters with their canopy's "swooping" the beach and the dunes, (on shore winds), this activity causes "wake turbulence" and is enough to bring down any Hang gliders using the Dunes as a source of "lift"
Also, we have had a couple of incidents where a Hang Glider has been brought down due to a Kitesurfer walking along the beach with their canopy above them and then dropping it without "clearing" the airspace.
I have had good response from the "old school" Kitesurfers and the recent incidents seem to be coming from some of the "newbies"
This post hopefully will raise awareness among the Kitesurfing community and reduce the likely hood of a terrible accident.
I have had offers to come on the beach and have a go at Kitesurfing, well I offer the same to you, come on the dune and have a go at our sport.
Peace and keep safe.
Ken

Daveo6
9 posts
19 Sep 2014 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Yawn

JimJones
QLD, 236 posts
19 Sep 2014 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Can you be a little more specific on what you want kiters to do differently?

Kites are about 30m off the beach at full height. Are you guys flying that low to get lift?

Sammyjay
VIC, 180 posts
19 Sep 2014 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Can we get some context here as well?

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
19 Sep 2014 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

NSW section ------------------>that way

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
19 Sep 2014 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

... I remember a couple years ago when a hanglider was taken down by kite in Port Douglas,,,, there was a video but was removed shortly after as I think it was used as evidence, dunno, can't quite remember.... any one know what happened, what was the outcome, who was to blame etc???

Robbie :)

harlie
QLD, 188 posts
19 Sep 2014 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

I'd never thought about the affect we have on hang gliders - but it makes sense. A kite's wash would disturb the updraft well above the 30m altitude that is flies. I'd imagine that disturbance would be felt above the height of the dune.

billykiter
WA, 302 posts
19 Sep 2014 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..

Wow dusta. you musn't get out much. There are pleanty of people who hang-glide along beaches in WA. Try shelly beach at Torbay near Albany or even near Cott beach.

Phoney
NSW, 583 posts
19 Sep 2014 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
duneskimmer said..
Kitesurfing and Hangliding on coastal sites is generally ok with the exception of some Kitesurfers who like to skim the shallow waters with their canopy's "swooping" the beach and the dunes, (on shore winds), this activity causes "wake turbulence" and is enough to bring down any Hang gliders using the Dunes as a source of "lift"
Also, we have had a couple of incidents where a Hang Glider has been brought down due to a Kitesurfer walking along the beach with their canopy above them and then dropping it without "clearing" the airspace.
I have had good response from the "old school" Kitesurfers and the recent incidents seem to be coming from some of the "newbies"
This post hopefully will raise awareness among the Kitesurfing community and reduce the likely hood of a terrible accident.
I have had offers to come on the beach and have a go at Kitesurfing, well I offer the same to you, come on the dune and have a go at our sport.
Peace and keep safe.
Ken

The only place I've ever seen hang gliders on a beach in NSW is at Stanwell Park, and I've never seen kitesurfers there.

Can you be more specific about where it is?

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
19 Sep 2014 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
billykiter said..

dusta said..

Wow dusta. you musn't get out much. There are pleanty of people who hang-glide along beaches in WA. Try shelly beach at Torbay near Albany or even near Cott beach.

Wow billykiter you must be a little slow on this friday . It was a light hearted jab at all the east coast peeps that post that WA stuff should be posted in the WA section . Sarcasm lost on the internet.

The amount of people that Hanglide near Cottesloe beach is minimal but yes people do hanglide there . As for Shelly beach in albany well it isn't like there are a bucketload of kiters at that particular beach but i get your point .

Plummet
4862 posts
19 Sep 2014 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

For Dune skimmer. Working the kite up and down is what you do to create power. in On shore conditions you need lots power to tack upwind and get through the swell. Skilled kiters can do this easily. Beginners cannot. They do not have the skill to tack upwind strongly through surf and current. Thus in onshore conditions they are constantly at the waters edge or close to it.

There is no fix for this other than more experience. The simple answer is that you need to understand the limitations of beginner kitesurfers and not put yourself it dangers what by flying close to them.

lotofwind
NSW, 6450 posts
19 Sep 2014 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

This might explain what happened to those Malaysian Airline planes, keep your kites low people.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Airmanship" started by duneskimmer