Forums > Kitesurfing General

Advice? Surfers ear opp (exostosis) - WA options?

Created by GranG > 9 months ago, 27 Jan 2013
GranG
WA, 257 posts
27 Jan 2013 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

About to go insane. I have had a particularly bad round of inflamed ear canals this Australia day weekend. "a Floaty head", A scary bout of virtigo on friday night and 15% hearing with the current imflamation in both ears means I have just had it. Top it off with not getting wet with all this great wind this weekend.

Have had in the 1mm range of ear canal diameter for a number of years now... (nrmally about 7mm fr a normal adult)

Any advice for ENT's in WA? Surfers ear specific.
I am quite intrigued by this approach - www.sutterhealth.org/pamf/services/ear-nose-throat/surfers-ear-surgery-pamf - where they use a mini 1mm chisel rather than a drill. Gross video on there too if you are into it. Anyone in WA or AU do the chissel version? The noise of a drill and possible ear damage is not so appealing.

Appreciate any advice. Nota pretty outlook but given the alternative (going insane), this option's time may have come.

Thanks.

pgc
VIC, 883 posts
28 Jan 2013 3:57AM
Thumbs Up

yes its a bugger. had both done 4 times and up for a fifth on the left one.

in the old days they cut the back of your ear and folded it it forward and removed the skin from the ear canal and drilled it. then put the skin back and let u suffer.

Now the good guys put a small cut in the inner canal and drill or chisel the extosis.

much less in inasive and much quicker recovery.
But (and its a big one) they come back twice as quick. I am on a 4 year turn around
at 54 years of age. Should have worn plugs 30 years ago.

My guys mr brian costello in melbourne

Craig66
NSW, 2432 posts
28 Jan 2013 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hey GranG

I bumped a topic on this from a few weeks ago, It may shine some light at the end of the tunnel/canal

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/Blocked-ears/

As I posted on other that thread, I had op on my right ear last winter, out of water for 8 weeks, skin inside ear canal grew and covered the exposed bone completely, I have been using Doc's pro plugs and still do after op.

The one thing I just don't understand is that some guys are saying they have has repeat operations on same ear ??? [}:)]

I asked my surgeon prior my op about that and he said that I would never need a second op.

GranG
WA, 257 posts
4 Feb 2013 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the advice and PMs. I thought I would put my research in this post in case it helps someone else.

I have had good news around Philip Fisher @ Glengarry [Drill method. He is apparently not personally keen on chisel to avoid risk of hitting a crucial facial nerve].

However, there is apparently an ENT in Bunburry that does the micro chisel approach here in WA.

Recovery time for Drill = 8 weeks. Micro Chisel = 3 weeks.

From my GP [have to start somewhere!], I have been referred to:
• Andrew Lindsay, Hollywood Hospital – first opening late March
• Philip Grey, St John of God, Subiaco - first opening early June

Anyone any experience with them? Please PM me if you do or have a WA based recommendation. GP wasn't sure if they were "experts" in ear exostosis removal.
thanks!

mattyjee
WA, 575 posts
4 Feb 2013 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

GranG said...
GP wasn't sure if they were "experts" in ear exostosis removal.

With the growth in kitesurfing over the last 10 years, I think Perth will be a centre of experience for exostosis removal in about 20 years time...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Advice? Surfers ear opp (exostosis) - WA options?" started by GranG