Forums > Kitesurfing General

Accident on Altona beach few hours ago

Created by chelsea > 9 months ago, 10 Nov 2013
chelsea
VIC, 2 posts
10 Nov 2013 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

The only reason I'm posting this is to get the beginners aware how dangerous this sport is if you don't go through a proper training before you go out on water. Those few hundred bucks you'll pay for the course is the most important ones, if you haven't got the money for it, don't do the sport.

This happened around 5:30pm today, lifted a kiter 6, 7 meters in air, smashed him against the car, lifted him then again into the power lines where he got electrocuted and threw him down into the neighbours backyard on top of a car (can be seen in the photo). The paramedics were few meters away having a break which is probably what might save his life, when they took him away he was conscious.

Also, he didn't have a helmet, I don't wear one either but seeing this today I'll be getting one.

melbournekiter
16 posts
10 Nov 2013 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

I posted a similar thread but in the windsurfing section accidentally.

Seconded everything with the lessons, but we don't know for sure that this guy didn't have a lessons. I think his kite was a North Rebel 12, which are often purchased by students of the the Kite Republic kite school.

A big thanks to all the kiters who rushed to help this poor guy out.

My thoughts are for those who know this poor fella, especially the girl with him who I assume is his girlfriend, who unfortunately had to witness what happened.

At Altona on a gusty day - do not use a kite that's too big, and DEFINITELY don't fly the kite on the beach. Launch it, keep it depowered and get straight into the water. I hope I never see anything like this again, as it was horrendous to watch.

towradgi
NSW, 424 posts
10 Nov 2013 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Wow,that incident has shook me to my inner core, the worst possible scenario has happened.I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
10 Nov 2013 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Holy crap, poor fella, hope he is okay. Hope he wasn't given the trusty old Rebel "massive top end" line if he was indeed brand new.

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
10 Nov 2013 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Judging by the fact the guys landed on a car and then hit power lines.
Was Altona working on a onshore breeze today?

Last serious accident (RIP) we had in WA was during gusty onshore breezes.

Perhaps we all, experienced to beginner need to think twice, or access our behavior in onshore conditions.

I hope for a very speedy recovery.

melbournekiter
16 posts
10 Nov 2013 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah it was gusty and straight onshore.

I hope he's ok, he looked to be very badly injured.

Hopefully we can get some updates on here from someone that knows him. I kite at Altona lots and haven't seen him before.

chino
VIC, 166 posts
10 Nov 2013 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Altona is onshore in a southerly - looks like it was SSE today. Can anyone comment?

Also no one knows how good he is, but the past accidents that have happened at Altona (I'm thinking specifically about Nik Brunner, who has taken 2 years to relearn how to walk, speak, still has trouble with basic things we take for granted like cleaning himself) have been with new-ish people who have been told Altona is a good place to kite. We've been getting a lot of out of towners as well, who don't know you're not supposed to kite near the pier or set up east of McBain st. Again, not to be a dick, but where that car is smashed (183 Esplanade) is definitely east of McBain st. If he was west of there he would have ended up in the trees but definitely not in the power lines.

Electrocuted?! Was he touching the lines, was his kite touching the lines, and was he touching the ground while his kite was touching the lines?

This thread is invariably going to turn into a "please stop kiting at Altona if you are new" thread as it does every time there's a big accident there and noobs are going to read this thread, and noobs are going to keep on coming.

Everyone, please be safe out there and stop doing stupid **** on the beach. I saw two guys boosting and lofting their kite on the beach there in 25 knot winds the other day.

melbournekiter
16 posts
10 Nov 2013 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

It was south between 1:30pm and 6:3pm. Accident was 4 ish.

I don't think he was electrocuted, his kite went above the lines and he went underneath them the propulsion sent him 360 around the power lines vertically but he didn't touch them, only his lines, and he wasn't earthed at any point. The power pole arched and blew loudly but I don't think that would have done anything.

chino
VIC, 166 posts
11 Nov 2013 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
melbournekiter said..

I don't think he was electrocuted, his kite went above the lines and he went underneath them the propulsion sent him 360 around the power lines vertically but he didn't touch them, only his lines, and he wasn't earthed at any point. The power pole arched and blew loudly but I don't think that would have done anything.

He did a loop-de-loop around power lines?!?!?! How did he get disconnected from his kite without being earthed? Did people have to grab him while he was still touching the lines? Either way, very lucky.

melbournekiter
16 posts
10 Nov 2013 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, he did a full 360, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Lines broke before he landed , kite ended up a couple of houses further back.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
11 Nov 2013 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

Jeez, sounds like a hell of an accident! Glad he's still alive but...

... as always I find myself asking - why didn't he pull the QR?

Livit
WA, 542 posts
10 Nov 2013 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
melbournekiter said..

I think his kite was a North Rebel 12, which are often purchased by students of the the Kite Republic kite school.

Looks like you are trying to settle scores here, probably not the right place to air out your dirty laundry..... I don't think the kite model or the whereabouts the poor guy got his kite from really matters.

marno
WA, 218 posts
10 Nov 2013 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
melbournekiter said...
Yes, he did a full 360, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Lines broke before he landed , kite ended up a couple of houses further back.

How is this guy still alive!!??

Plummet
4862 posts
11 Nov 2013 2:43AM
Thumbs Up

Holy cow batman. That is a mad accident.

The guy has enough speed he loops a full 360 around some power lines? WTF! If he survives get can probably credit those powerelines from slowing him and stopping him.

What was the wind speed at the time of the accident?

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
11 Nov 2013 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Unfortunately it was a matter of time (do a search for altona accident posts and warnings) before this happened (again!) and it's really sad that someone is paying the price for the wrong advice that keeps getting handed around to beginners about where to kite (by a large number of kiteshops, instructors and individuals and I won't mention names but one beginner even insisted on getting into arguments with more experienced people on how we were using localism to keep beginners out, so perhaps he will learn a lesson from this unfortunate incident). There have been numerous warning by some of the more experienced kiters on why beginners should not be kiting at Altona. Every year, a number of minor incidents have occurred and the warnings come out again, and a whole bunch of people think it's localism instead of common sense. One year we had 5 incidents for 5 days in a row and yet the common sense continues to fail in the advice being handed out.

I will repeat again what has been repeated about 500 times about altona.

1. Altona is not a beginners spot. It is not a spot to learn to go up wind. It is not a spot to learn to ride. If you fail to heed this advice, accept that there is a chance this can happen to you.
2. The beach is too short for beginners. There is no room for mistakes.
3. If you are not 100% comfortable launching and landing in both clean and gusty wind, do not kite here. It's not about localism, it's about recognising your skill level.
4. The reason people suggest it's not a spot for learning to go upwind is because of the hidden sandbanks, not localism. If you have to look at your kite while riding, this is not the ideal spot for you. You need to be able to see what is ahead of you so you have time to react if there is a sandbank. If you've hit the sandbank, it's too late. The reason I say this is critical is because if you watch the kite, hit a sandbank and it throws you into a rotation, that's where you accidentally loop the kite and get lofted or worse.
5. If you are comfortable staying upwind and still in the early stages of kiting, stay in the deeper water so you have room to make mistakes. The smooth flat water is great but you have years ahead of you to experience them when you know what you doing, so bite the bullet, ride in the choppier stuff and move there once you are comfortable.

As a side note, when I was there last weekend, some idiot on a Liquid Force who clearly wasn't competent self landing decided to self land on the grass. It went wrong and he was saved from kite damage by a kiter although he almost got hooked up in someone else's kite and could have damaged their kite in the process. There were plenty of kiters around and no need for someone who was inexperienced with self landing to do so, let alone do it a couple of metres from the pathway and trees just to keep his kite clean. Mr orange LF rider, get some common sense, earlier you rode me into the beach because you wouldn't give me a chance to turn around and insisted on riding up to 5 metres away while I waited for you to gybe, I can accept mistakes are made, but in combination with your poor self landing, the mistakes you made went into the realms of selfishness.

On a second note, if you're a beginner, the above example is a good justification for KBV membership. The car insurance company that pays for the damage to the car is going to want to know who did it and they will expect him to pay for the damage caused so he's going to have some calls from a business (who don't care about what happened and whether the wind was gusty) calling him to pay for some damage.

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
11 Nov 2013 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

fuuuuuuuk thats super sad, i really hope he keeps fighting on, offering some strength anyway i can...

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
11 Nov 2013 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

One can only imagine how much power that poor guy had to do a loop through the powerlines! I would like to know how he got lofted in the first place, his experience level, and if he kited there much. Really goes to show you that when you rock up to an unfamiliar place you need to talk to EXPERIENCED locals. Almost anyone who is experienced will offer advice to keep you safer. Nobody wants to see this happen....ever.
Hope the dude heals quickly and can talk about what went wrong.

castill0jf
VIC, 563 posts
11 Nov 2013 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

There is only one small sign indicating the kite area. I didn't see the accident and the winds were below 20 knots and above 15 knots. I saw many kites east of the tree (wrong area) . There were only 4 kites to the west of the sign. I left Altona after 4: 45 pm This accident will bring the attention to Altona. I hope something good will come out.
1 - more or a bigger signs.
2 - when we see something is wrong ask the person if they need any help.

cheers

chino
VIC, 166 posts
11 Nov 2013 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..
One can only imagine how much power that poor guy had to do a loop through the powerlines! I would like to know how he got lofted in the first place, his experience level, and if he kited there much. Really goes to show you that when you rock up to an unfamiliar place you need to talk to EXPERIENCED locals. Almost anyone who is experienced will offer advice to keep you safer. Nobody wants to see this happen....ever.

It's going to be unpopular of me to contradict someone else and be a skeptical susan to Melbournekiter, especially because I wasn't there and he was, but it strikes me as implausible. Any physics nerds/forensic engineers want to do a cocktail napkin calculation on the velocity needed for a 75 kg rider to maintain a vertical circle with a radius of around 10m?

superlizard
VIC, 702 posts
11 Nov 2013 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

and the winds were below 20 knots and above 15 knots.

I'm pretty sure the winds were going somewhat above 20 knots around 5pm... the wind had fair bit of lift too yesterday...

melbournekiter
16 posts
11 Nov 2013 5:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said...
melbournekiter said..

I think his kite was a North Rebel 12, which are often purchased by students of the the Kite Republic kite school.

Looks like you are trying to settle scores here, probably not the right place to air out your dirty laundry..... I don't think the kite model or the whereabouts the poor guy got his kite from really matters.

Hi, no scores to settle, it was in response to a post saying he hadn't had lessons. I was pointing out the school may have supplied the kite so he may have had lessons.

melbournekiter
16 posts
11 Nov 2013 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chino said...
dafish said..

It's going to be unpopular of me to contradict someone else and be a skeptical susan to Melbournekiter, especially because I wasn't there and he was, but it strikes me as implausible. Any physics nerds/forensic engineers want to do a cocktail napkin calculation on the velocity needed for a 75 kg rider to maintain a vertical circle with a radius of around 10m?

I'd be skeptical too, but lots of people saw it and will confirm.

Regarding the wind, the BOM lists the wind at 5pm as 15 gusting 26 at laverton, so is a safe bet at 30kt gusts.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
11 Nov 2013 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

The other thing we need to be aware of is that whilst this kiter might have paid a heavy price with a serious injury (and potentially his life), everyone may or is likely to be affected by this. It takes one incident like this for kiting to be banned in Altona for everyone. Obviously the loss of life is the highest priority for us as a community but we also don't want kiting banned at a location because of bad advice, lack of lessons or any other potential cause. Even when experienced people launch 12m kites in 30 knots, they may think they are taking their own life in their hands and they have the right to do what they want, but what they do has an impact on the kiting community as a whole, if they ditch a kite, it can wrap around someone else's and if their kite hits power lines, it impacts the community. Councils don't like bad publicity and irrespective of whose fault it is, the kiting community as a whole may pay the ultimate price for one kiters mistake/bad advice/bad judgement.

I agree with people who said that we as a community have an obligation to prevent this happening. If someone you don't know is launching a kite that seems too big or is doing something that makes them look like they are not competent, we should be taking action.

jim560
VIC, 19 posts
11 Nov 2013 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Ultimately it is irrespective what kite or where the guy had his lessons.

What this accident does highlight is that we as a community need to spend more time informing the newcomers to our sport where they should be kiting. The conditions yesterday were not bad at all. This simply shows how to a beginner the conditions, area of choice and kite SIZE not brand all make a difference. If we see someone setting up in the wrong zone give them the benefit of our knowledge and advise where they should be. You don???t have to be an instructor to offer advice which may prevent an accident like this from happening. Let???s forget negatives and work together to try and make this area safer for ALL, including residents and beach users. WHAT CAN WE DO? NOT "HE WAS IN WRONG".

Let???s hope he makes a full recovery and that all who choose to come to this spot take note.

There are areas that are not for kiting and anyone who is unsure should talk to a local or check the KBV or Parks Vic website for this information.

chelsea
VIC, 2 posts
11 Nov 2013 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

The wind was steady around 23-25 knots at the time of the accident, with small gusts to around 26 max, was standing there contemplating taking my own 12m kite which I've used before in similar winds as its got a great depower, but then checked st kilda and saw winds increased to around 27 and usually what hits st kilda comes to altona within 5-10 minutes, and as soon as I decided not to go in the accident happened.

HappyG
VIC, 290 posts
11 Nov 2013 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Altona is a perfect place to kite??? Incidents like this will get it banned??? If someone is launching and landing in the wrong area tell them??? If you kite there regularly then say something??? 12 metre in 25 knots TOO BIG??? say something while they are pumping it up???.

Sometimes people just don't realise what situation they are putting themselves in. The first couple pf times I went to Altona (after I learnt to go upwind and self land) I went down the other end at Apex Park. It has no Power lines you can Launch and land there very easily. The locals at the Apex Park end are more than happy to help and tell you about the sandbars etc.

I have been windsurfing and now kiting down Altona for 25 years. I hope it does not get banned its my local spot.

I hope the guy is alright??? he should buy a tattslotto ticket???.

WeirdEd
VIC, 268 posts
11 Nov 2013 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HappyG said..
he should buy a tattslotto ticket???.

I hope he pulls through ok. If the story is 100% correct he has had a lot of luck: First to hit a car and not the road which does not yield like a windshield and then to get caught in the powerlines without earthing. Judging from the blood on the windshield a helmet would have been a good idea.

Get well soon, mate!

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
11 Nov 2013 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

I still can't understand why? Doesn't anyone teach too keep the kite low..

Maybe not these days with kites huge range of depower and the invinceable mindset that
YOU PUT YOUR KITE UP AS HIGH AS YOU CAN......

digitalkiwi
VIC, 40 posts
11 Nov 2013 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

I can confirm he did not do a 360 around the lines.

I can confirm we were both in the wrong area for launching and landing, along with a lot of people which would give people unfamiliar with the location that it's the correct place for setup/derig.

Seeing this first hand (standing next to him) you can't blame the kite model, this could have happened to any model kite.

The wind was blowing directly onshore (south at the accident) 20kn with fairly large gusts (25-28kn) coming through at the time of the accident, the wind was very fresh and had a lot of power/lift.

I'm not prepared to release any more information until I've spoken with KBV in respect for the rider.

Please check and make it muscle memory using your quick release.

Maybe someone could post a link to the rigging area, here's a link to the KBV info.
http://www.kbv.org.au/kbvmain/kbv-locationview.php?locid=102

(If an accurate map does not exist I'm happy to draw one up in photoshop - please PM me)

superlizard
VIC, 702 posts
11 Nov 2013 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

hope the guy is ok.

Select to expand quote

I agree with people who said that we as a community have an obligation to prevent this happening.

Select to expand quote

What this accident does highlight is that we as a community need to spend more time informing the newcomers to our sport where they should be kiting.
If we see someone setting up in the wrong zone give them the benefit of our knowledge and advise where they should be.

yeh i agree we should do that. But this is not a bulletproof approach. I'm not sure if the kiting community on it's own can preserve access to the sport. For this to work, it would be required that at any given point in time there are some experienced kiters at the beach available to offer advice (rather than already riding on the water). If there aren't any around whilst a newbie is on the beach, then there is no one to give advice. Also, you don't really know if someone is experienced or inexperienced until they start launching or riding (and by that time may be already too late to give advice).

If you had a licensing system in place, then at least there is some assurance people have done adequate training... (not saying i want such system, just speculating)

PeteC2
VIC, 31 posts
11 Nov 2013 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

I was a few cars down when this happened. It was horrible to watch. I was expecting him to be dead - but he was moving and moaning when the paramedics where with him. He hit the wall at the back of the beach before hitting the car I think.

I'd been out on my 12 for ~ 2 hours just before this and it was top end for it - but not over the top. Felt like low 20's to me - and didn't feel too gusty.

Putting advice on here about kiting at Altona is great - but not everyone reads this. What we really need is some big signs on the beach about kiting locations and dangers there.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Accident on Altona beach few hours ago" started by chelsea